Phantom F-4K No.2. XT596 Royal Navy / A&AEE

I bought from ebay a part started Phantom FG.1 with no decals and a missing canopy.

So I went looking for some decals to complete it with and came across the RAM Models set, however this still left me needing stencils, so I figured a bit of artistic licence, build a very early FG.1 and use an F-4 B/N set, this would at least be in period, my thinking was the YF-4K's were painted and finished with the stencils McDonnell had available until the British specific ones were made. Sounds likely to me anyhow!

The RAM models set is not cheap but they went down extremely well, nicely coloured and in register.

As a nice bonus I swapped one version (700P NASU) decal set for a canopy. :-D

Kit, Hasegawa 1/48 Phantom FG.1, Decals Ram Models early Phantoms, stencils KitsWorld F-4 B/C/D/N.

Paints, Humbrol EDSG Enamel, Halfords white primer and all the rest by Tamiya.

Built OOB apart from decals.

Enjoy.

image_70.jpeg

Edited by At Sea
  • Like 11

She is currently at Yeovilton museum on display, the oldest surviving Spey engined F-4.

I got to sit in her many years ago when I was a kid and they were moving stuff about one day when I visited. Brilliant bonus for a day out that!

Hello,AtSea - My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Royal Navy Phantom'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and commend the clean patina.You made a good effort to get the complete kit together and have created a phabulous 'Phantom' and a phine tribute to the type.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

I always think of it as the Jensen Interceptor. A blend of British & American talents. The other F-4 Phantoms could be considered as US muscle cars, but the Spey Phantoms have that trans-atlantic twist...

Nice Build I have the Ram Decals they are really nice. Wish They would do some late RAF decals, I really need 56 sqn with red tail and sharks teeth.

In fact some late RN would be nice too, some of the cross deck exchanges with the us navy would be nice. Thee is a lot of inspiration in the British Phantom books by double ugly.

Glenn.

Edited by cardiff guy
  • Like 1