Gunze Aqueous Clear drying time

mirageiv

Hi guys,

Tried the above clear and it gave a lovely gloss finish ready for decals, thinned with levelling thinner. Only thing I'm a little concerned, as I sprayed it 5 days ago and it still can fingerprint if held for a few seconds after curing this long :hmmm: . Anyone had experience using it and how long you should/have to wait before it is hard enough for handling? Praying its not one of 'those ones' that takes months to go off!

At the same time I sprayed some Tamiya clear and that is now rock hard by comparison.

Any help/info would be much appreciated, cheers

David.

• 3 years later...

Years later, finally a reply 🙂

I am experiencing the exact same probem with Gunze H1 (Aqueous Hobby Color Gloss White) - I sprayed it three days ago on the undersides of my Victor K2 - sprays nicely with the Gunze Thinner (although it needs a few layers even on Alclad II white primer), seems to dry quickly to a high gloss finish. But - the model can't be handled yet....fingerprints even if only slight pressure is applied (holding the model).

I was able to sand them off luckily but I  have to do some extensive masking (grey/green upper surfaces) and I dare not put on masking tape for fear of ruining the white finish, not to speak of fingerprints while handling it for the masking procedure.

How long did you finally wait until proceeding?

Additional question:  Is it the same with Gunzes Mr. Colour gloss paints (the laquer type)?

Edited by Ingo Degenhardt
  • Like 1

Levelling thinner is a Lacquer thinner Aqueous is and alcohol base water/acrylic pretty much the same as Tamiya.  The two don't really mix and you get this rice pudding effect, I had exactly the same issue with a bike build some time ago, I played around with the ratios of thinner/paint but I could never get it harden properly.  Not even after 9 days in an airing cupboard, I know lots of people swear by levelling thinner in Tamiya/Aqueous paint but they just didn't work for me.  I guess in time a month or so they would harden but, I don't want to wait that long so I don't use Mr Hobby thinner/levelling in anything other than Mr Color,  I use their Aqueous thinner works a treat.   

Mr Hobby Levelling thinner added to Mr Hobby Thinner and used with Mr Color, it dries fast like touch dry in 10mins and 7 hrs rock hard.       

8 minutes ago, Ingo Degenhardt said:

Thanks.

I should have mentioned that I used the Aqueous Thinner (No. 110) - not the Levelling thinner; that I only use with Mr. Hobby laquer colours and had no problems so far.

Never had any issues with the flat Aqueous Colors.

ingo

Sorry I misread your post.  So you've used Aqueous Thinner with Aqueous Color and it's not hardening?  Did you use anything else like a retarder? 

Edited by Kev The Modeller

2 minutes ago, Kev The Modeller said:

Let me get this right.  You've used Aqueous Thinner with Aqueous Color and it's not hardening?  Did you use anything else like a retarder? 

Right - no other contents added. As said, it seemed to dry rather quickly - you could run a finger over it an hour later. But it seems to be soft beneath a kind of dry surface/skin.

1 minute ago, Kev The Modeller said:

Hmm. I've not had that issue before.  Did you use light coats, perhaps you were a little heavy?  

Yes, I had to do several coats to achieve an even, glossy finish but I did not consider the coat to be too thick (no panel lines flooded 🙂 )

Still, I had the same thought and apart from any strange reaction with the Alclad white primer (I think that very unlikely) it's the only explanation I can think of.

No other choice than give it more time, I think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ingo Degenhardt said:

Years later, finally a reply 🙂

I am experiencing the exact same probem with Gunze H1 (Aqueous Hobby Color Gloss White) - I sprayed it three days ago on the undersides of my Victor K2 - sprays nicely with the Gunze Thinner (although it needs a few layers even on Alclad II white primer), seems to dry quickly to a high gloss finish. But - the model can't be handled yet....fingerprints even if only slight pressure is applied (holding the model).

I was able to sand them off luckily but I  have to do some extensive masking (grey/green upper surfaces) and I dare not put on masking tape for fear of ruining the white finish, not to speak of fingerprints while handling it for the masking procedure.

How long did you finally wait until proceeding?

Additional question:  Is it the same with Gunzes Mr. Colour gloss paints (the laquer type)?

IIRC it never did cure out fully. I applied the decals anyway and then put a flat varnish (Gunze Aqueous flat) on which at the time seemed to stop the problem (well at least hid it). However, after a while I noticed when I handled the model it was still very easy to mark the paint and any dust just stuck and bonded with the surface over time, in conclusion I think it never did cure and still hasn't to this day. This is a problem I think I have noticed before when using a 'hot' levelling thinner with Gunze, if you apply wet paint layers the thinner will react with whatever is underneath, sometimes slightly changing the colour or the sheen. For example I finished an F-16 in medium grey (Gunze fs26270) that has turned almost blue/purple overtime since I think it reacted with the underlying Mr.Surfacer, not 100% sure if the wet paint layers is the reason for why but it certainly isn't medium grey anymore! 

Since then I've completely stopped using gloss Gunze Aqueous colours (and Tamiya) with Levelling thinner (included H1 white for example as that never cured either) as it just isn't worth the problems that can happen. In fact, over time I've not used Levelling thinner with Satin Gunze Aqueous paints very much either as they can sometimes take ages to cure also. For most of my main paint jobs now I've gone back to enamels or matt Tamiya/Gunze acrylics + levelling thinner, everything just works and no problems/surprises messing up a model you have sent months building! 

Gunze paints and levelling thinner can give flawless finishes but is isn't worth it imho. Counter to that loads of people seem to get on fine with this combo, must be to do with how thin and wet I airbrush my paint. 

Cheers,

David

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 2

Yep I've used the Mr Hobby water base for many years and the satin and gloss colours just don't dry..to get round it I add their or Tamiya Flat base to matt it down..then use the new Tamiya semi gloss on top to apply the decals..usually works

Leslie

• Like 1