zvezda 777-300 Aeroflot 1/144

phil1

i used this stuff mate after i read about it online - its been like absolute magic!

IMG_20160307_181646_zps8nxctao3.jpg

this is the result after just buffing out and polishing the scratch remover

IMG_20160307_162852_zpsueprhda1.jpg

tail needs extra work as you can see the paint lines

IMG_20160307_162902_zps3g8j2klu.jpg

IMG_20160307_162913_zps3awaat8j.jpg

Great, thanks for the tip!

Val

• 1 month later...

sorry finally got round to getting this one underway again. grey fuselage section primed and ready for metal effect.

IMG_20160420_175809_zpsubcf4t4c.jpg

some aeroflot 777 look like they have a unreflective light grey finish yet some have a more metal and slighly reflective finish. im going for the latter and im going to use xtreme metal matte aluminium

IMG_20160420_190515_zpsgykjmejk.jpgIMG_20160420_190531_zpsdjrawqtf.jpgIMG_20160420_190546_zpsfmyhj3g0.jpg

masking off.... shiny blue gloss against the metal finish

IMG_20160427_182001_zps1jk8r1xd.jpg

• Like 9

Very spiffy!

I have an A321 I'm planning on in this Aeroflot scheme, so am studying your masking and painting intently. Don't mind if I pinch a few ideas?

Lovely finish Phil.

Must invest in some of that polishing compound too.

I had exactly the same thoughts.

Great work so far Phil, am looking forward to seeing more

• 2 weeks later...

Which specific aircraft are you planning to make this into? I've flown on quite a few Aeroflot 773s (all Moscow-NYC and back), they're an absolute blast to fly one - great aircraft, all quite new, and wonderfully maintained. I'm referring to Aeroflot specifically here - don't believe all those 'bad Russian airline' rumors.

Very spiffy!

I have an A321 I'm planning on in this Aeroflot scheme, so am studying your masking and painting intently. Don't mind if I pinch a few ideas?

thank you, absolutely no problem mate - are you doing the zvezda 1/144 kit? if i hadn't been so busy i would have purchased it by now, fancied doing it in aeroflot too before i decided on this, if i do get it i will probs go with the yuk siberian green!

ive noted that the a321 + a320 sport a more 'shiny' fuselage than the 777 scheme, my finish is probably a little more metallic than reality

This is looking very nice! May I ask, how did you mask the fan blades? I'm trying to figure out a way to do it for my BA example.

thanks. i attempted to mask them using really thin tape... however - ITS IMPOSSIBLE! the fan blades curve so you cant unless someone has some sort of freakish skill. what i did was I sprayed the 2 sets of fans with xtreme metal aluminium (should really be steel but you cant tell the difference) then a day later i got a paintbrush with a really sharp edge and hand painted half the blade in black gloss (with a hint of metal mixed in) just following the same curve you have on the edge of the blade - i thought it would look horrendous as i hand paint very little but it turned out ok. once i put the 2 fan pieces together it looked better as only certain parts were visible.

• Like 2

Which specific aircraft are you planning to make this into? I've flown on quite a few Aeroflot 773s (all Moscow-NYC and back), they're an absolute blast to fly one - great aircraft, all quite new, and wonderfully maintained. I'm referring to Aeroflot specifically here - don't believe all those 'bad Russian airline' rumors.

not sure yet - i'm assuming all have the same paintjob? just some of the 777-300 look shiny then others they look like a matt grey? I've never actually seen one of them in the flesh yet!

• Like 1

not sure yet - i'm assuming all have the same paintjob? just some of the 777-300 look shiny then others they look like a matt grey? I've never actually seen one of them in the flesh yet!

They seem to all have the same (except the skyteam special livery), however it really depends on the lighting. Sometimes they look shiny, and others, especially if it's cloudy, they're matt grey. The following two images - both of VP-BGB - illustrate my point:

Sunny - The plane looks shiny

Cloudy - The plane looks matt grey

You can see what a big difference it makes. Also, in general, how does the zvezda 777 come together? I'm looking into getting myself one, how good of a fit and how easy to assemble is it?

They seem to all have the same (except the skyteam special livery), however it really depends on the lighting. Sometimes they look shiny, and others, especially if it's cloudy, they're matt grey. The following two images - both of VP-BGB - illustrate my point:

You can see what a big difference it makes. Also, in general, how does the zvezda 777 come together? I'm looking into getting myself one, how good of a fit and how easy to assemble is it?

i see your point, i don't think I'll worry too much about it, like you say the lighting seems to make a huge difference.

the zvezda 777 kit is generally very good. the only things ive had issues with are the wingtips snapping off! the very edge of the raked wingtips are so fragile that they will come off if they come into contact with anything - i didn't even notice that mine had snapped. I'd tape them up until you need to paint and carefully pull away the tape

the other issue that has been raised is 2 little intakes that need to be glued from inside the fuselage - i really wouldn't bother as they don't fit and are impossible to try and place them in, you will know what i mean when you get the kit. I'd just create your own by putting a small piece of flat plastic on the inside or fill the intakes (not sure if they provide a decal)

Those ones in the links are white, not silver. Have Aeroflot changed their schemes recently? Or am I just really slow of the uptake there? I quite like it, although it does make it look somewhat American. No offence meant BTW.

Phil,

I have a question about the Novus product you use. Is that the 3 part Pishpek or is specifically a 2 part set ? I ask because I had a look through evilbay for some (just to see how much it is there) and what I saw the most of were the 3 part sets. I didn't see any 2 part packs at all is all.

Anyways, this is a great build and your finishes are brilliant.

How did you remove the seam line on the top without loosing the fine engraving? Or do you need to rescribe? :)

Those ones in the links are white, not silver. Have Aeroflot changed their schemes recently?

I see what you mean, the 'cloudy' image looks more white than anything, and the 'sunny' image is very shiny but believe me, it's gray. All Aeroflot planes are gray, its just the effect of the lighting making it look white. They chose the most confusing possible color to paint their planes. Here's a photo I took last summer in Sheremetyevo:

YzCWfat.jpg

This was just a few minutes before I got on the 777-300ER pictured to fly to New York. It's quite sunny, and you can see how reflective it is, but its also clearly not gray. As I said, very confusing color. The following image was taken at the same time as the previous one, once again in sunny conditions. The difference between the 'true' white on the LOT plane in the background and the greyish-silver on the Aeroflot planes is quite visible:

KgwQoBn.jpg

• Like 1

Those ones in the links are white, not silver. Have Aeroflot changed their schemes recently? Or am I just really slow of the uptake there? I quite like it, although it does make it look somewhat American. No offence meant BTW.

Phil,

I have a question about the Novus product you use. Is that the 3 part Pishpek or is specifically a 2 part set ? I ask because I had a look through evilbay for some (just to see how much it is there) and what I saw the most of were the 3 part sets. I didn't see any 2 part packs at all is all.

Anyways, this is a great build and your finishes are brilliant.

How did you remove the seam line on the top without loosing the fine engraving? Or do you need to rescribe? :)

you can buy all 3 as a set or buy them individually. the red is the fine scratch remover and is by far the most effective product for getting that polished look as it buffs and wipes away a smoother surface. the blue is the plastic clean and shine which is a liquid but it can be worked in like the previous product.

The green one which I don't have on display is the heavy scratch remover which is disappointing in comparison to the other 2 products, personally I wouldn't bother with it but you may want to try it for yourself. I don't use acrylics but i have tested the product on them and they are even more effective producing an effortless shine.

i placed a layer of tape over the engraving and just worked in the small area but this had its disadvantages as i risked flattening the top of the aircraft but i think i've just got away with it!

• 2 weeks later...