zvezda 777-300 Aeroflot 1/144

phil1

Impressed with zvezdas 767 kit I purchased the new 777 kit which promises to be a vast improvement on the eastern express kit which I was tempted with until I heard about this one being released

IMG_20160131_174653_zpsrqpghnhs.jpg

windows filled with a few exceptions....

IMG_20160131_174832_zpshrq7uz3s.jpg

don't want to lose any detail on the fuselage but i want those windows nice and smooth....

IMG_20160209_162811_zpsdephv4pf.jpg

dare I say it but the kit hasnt went together as well as I had hoped...probs used excess milliput here but there was some niggly long gaps to fill. what i found with the 767 kit is although the fuselage halves looked like a seamless fit they kept coming apart in places (likley as i didnt use any plastic tabs on the inside) - didnt really learn as i didnt bother this time either!

IMG_20160209_162901_zpsvg7tpisr.jpg

far too much milliput! the gap was probs a 5th the size of the milliput area. should be ok however

IMG_20160209_162941_zpslczudrau.jpg

wings glued and gaps filled. some sanding needed...

IMG_20160211_162355_zps3aumbtc3.jpg

cockpit filled, edges sanded, radome fitted, rudder fitted, satcom antenna's added. ready for paint already

IMG_20160211_172538_zpsyj8ahxum.jpg

misleading size comparison to the MD-11.... the 777 kit is actually HUGE even in 1/144 - fuselage and wingspan

IMG_20160211_170210_zpsxcfyuhgc.jpg

nice clean undercoat for the fuselage. wings have had 3 coats already and will stay that colour with a light polish. for the fuselage im going with matt aluminium xtreme metal and for the underside lufthansa blue - same as aeroflot blue?

Edited by phil1
  • Like 8

nice clean undercoat for the fuselage. wings have had 3 coats already and will stay that colour with a light polish. for the fuselage im going with matt aluminium xtreme metal and for the underside lufthansa blue - same as aeroflot blue?

That is one beast of a kit! After a quick Google I'd say that Aeroflot blue is maybe just a touch lighter than Lufthansa blue? Close enough anyway I'd say. (I mean I painted the underside of my BA 732 Lufthansa blue, so I'm not going to judge :P).

Edited by johnny_7713

I have this kit as well, but I'm saving it for the airliners 3 GB. When you mentioned that it didn't go together as well as you'd hoped, what were you meaning specifically? The joining of the 2 halves?

My only disappointment with this kit is the lack of a cockpit. Revell managed to put in a basic pit for the A340 so I was a bit let down Zvezda didn't. Not everyone wants to use decals for windscreens

Other than that, I really like what I see. They have a really good decal sheet from what I've seen and the engines are beautifully detailed. I'm really looking forward to starting mine. In the mean time, I'll happily take notes from your build :)

Great work! I'm really enjoying this build as it's a kit I would like too; in fact the only decision for me to make is this or the Revell rebox?? I will see what decals Revell are going to do I guess! :thumbsup:

I have this kit as well, but I'm saving it for the airliners 3 GB. When you mentioned that it didn't go together as well as you'd hoped, what were you meaning specifically? The joining of the 2 halves?

I've just got going on my build which will be an Air New Zealand bird. I hit a similar problem with uneven joining of the fuselage when test fitting. What I did was fix some 40mm(ish) diameter thick plastic circles inside the fuselage to provide some strengthening to this ultra long fuselage. It certainly helped with the fit but didn't avoid the need for a bit of putty.

Hope this helps

Tim

Great work! I'm really enjoying this build as it's a kit I would like too; in fact the only decision for me to make is this or the Revell rebox?? I will see what decals Revell are going to do I guess! :thumbsup:

I think I read somewhere that Revell will include Swiss decals...yawn!!! What a dull scheme. Great excitement and all because they've got a new 777 but not the most exciting colours.

The kit is great but I haven't started my lot yet.

• Like 1

I've just got going on my build which will be an Air New Zealand bird. I hit a similar problem with uneven joining of the fuselage when test fitting. What I did was fix some 40mm(ish) diameter thick plastic circles inside the fuselage to provide some strengthening to this ultra long fuselage. It certainly helped with the fit but didn't avoid the need for a bit of putty.

Hope this helps

Tim

That's the same scheme I'll be doing for mine - to match my 787. Good idea with the discs too. I've been thinking about using plastic strip as tabs but the discs might be a more solid option

MH

That's the same scheme I'll be doing for mine - to match my 787. Good idea with the discs too. I've been thinking about using plastic strip as tabs but the discs might be a more solid option

MH

With the benefit of hindsight I think discs plus plastic strip tabs would be the best way to get a really good / solid fit on this super long fuselage.

Best of luck with your build.

Tim

Looking forward to watching this build. I just bought the kit, I'm going down the Etihad route. I've just bought the decals from DrawDecal. I'm gonna use the RAL paint colour, overlaid with a clear pearl, so hopefully the colour will be close enough

Good to see someone doing this kit, what is you colour scheme choice?

im going for aeroflot mate, the grey im going to use matt aluminium xtreme metal, hopefully wont be too shiny as the 777 seems to have a less 'metallic' look compared to the rest of their fleet??

That is one beast of a kit! After a quick Google I'd say that Aeroflot blue is maybe just a touch lighter than Lufthansa blue? Close enough anyway I'd say. (I mean I painted the underside of my BA 732 Lufthansa blue, so I'm not going to judge :P).

i finally went for revell night blue 54.......the results seem to be closer to fed ex or monarch! may have to amend

• Like 1

Looking forward to watching this build. I just bought the kit, I'm going down the Etihad route. I've just bought the decals from DrawDecal. I'm gonna use the RAL paint colour, overlaid with a clear pearl, so hopefully the colour will be close enough

that will be an awesome colour scheme...especially on the 777, its a massive improvement on the last livery. will look forward to seeing it

My only disappointment with this kit is the lack of a cockpit. Revell managed to put in a basic pit for the A340 so I was a bit let down Zvezda didn't. Not everyone wants to use decals for windscreens

Other than that, I really like what I see. They have a really good decal sheet from what I've seen and the engines are beautifully detailed. I'm really looking forward to starting mine. In the mean time, I'll happily take notes from your build :)

there was just a little bit more work then i expected (with the fuselage halves) but the main thing was the 2 intakes on the fuselage, for some reason the pieces are separate and need fitted to the inside of the fuselage.... they don't fit and were impossible to try and glue in position. although i totally abandoned putting windows in and doing cockpits a while ago I do agree you are almost forced to do away with that idea

I think I read somewhere that Revell will include Swiss decals...yawn!!! What a dull scheme. Great excitement and all because they've got a new 777 but not the most exciting colours.

The kit is great but I haven't started my lot yet.

I had no idea they were bringing out this kit, agreed 'swiss' must be the most boring livery of all time... especially when swissair was one of the best

IMG_20160222_163433_zpsp21w8kwo.jpg

its time to paint the base and the vertical stabilizer, theres going to be some curves so i picked up this tamiya 2mm tape.

IMG_20160222_180503_zpsjmyu6sfn.jpg

using revell 54, night blue i think?

IMG_20160222_180508_zpslg1ps84k.jpg

IMG_20160222_180515_zpsyo8rfmu7.jpg

IMG_20160222_184947_zps5qzbxzxk.jpg

IMG_20160222_184953_zpshb7ud2na.jpg

looks blue on the photos but first impressions was fed ex purple!!!!!!!!!!!! this is a few coats later

IMG_20160222_184942_zpsw3f4jdvj.jpg

looking more like a monarch blue in real life, pictures actually look more like what i want!

• Like 4

I have no idea if Aeroflot blue is darker or lighter than Monarch blue, but great job so far.

You are not the only one to mention about the 2 intakes that go on the fuselage, from others it appears the instructions are a little vague, and the flat side should go to the outside.

I'm curious that you are doing the wing separate, is this because you need to be able to take it apart?

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see someone doing this kit, what is you colour scheme choice?

ive settled on aeroflot mate, not even sure if you can get the decals but i have decals for the zvezda aeroflot 767 kit which might be usable?

I have no idea if Aeroflot blue is darker or lighter than Monarch blue, but great job so far.

You are not the only one to mention about the 2 intakes that go on the fuselage, from others it appears the instructions are a little vague, and the flat side should go to the outside.

I'm curious that you are doing the wing separate, is this because you need to be able to take it apart?

now the paintwork is buffed and polished its turned out much better than I would have originally though. I have messed up on the intakes though, should have probably sought out advice before id put them in place but its not obvious

Ive got to be honest, i prefer painting the wings seperate as I am prone to knocking off engines or getting paint splashes on the wing - the wings are such a good fit I can probably get away with attaching them later

I havent had much experience at trying to produce perfectly polished paintwork, i tried previously with water based paints and had disastrous results as the paint peels even with the finest sanding stick, i therefore vowed never to touch them again and went back to enamels.

IMG_20160227_151356_zpsxnbvztow.jpg

the straight fuselage parts seem to buff more easily but it became obvious that not all the paint had been flattened especially around the more complex areas.

IMG_20160228_180137_zpsb7v7ln6x.jpg

IMG_20160227_151500_zpsycycuwrh.jpg

IMG_20160228_180128_zpsrglowf51.jpg

IMG_20160301_232131_zpsgvugxg50.jpg

IMG_20160301_232137_1_zpsuxqtktaa.jpg

after a bit more work including sanding with a coarser pad and repainting Ive started to get better results. the sharper edges (around the intakes) are still prone to losing paint

IMG_20160301_232155_zps16fmifdk.jpg

IMG_20160301_232137_1_zpsuxqtktaa.jpg

IMG_20160301_232124_zpss0p8ckpw.jpg

IMG_20160301_232600_zpsio1q4j2h.jpg

• Like 5

Looks great! What did you use to polish the enamels?

i used this stuff mate after i read about it online - its been like absolute magic!

IMG_20160307_181646_zps8nxctao3.jpg

this is the result after just buffing out and polishing the scratch remover

IMG_20160307_162852_zpsueprhda1.jpg

tail needs extra work as you can see the paint lines

IMG_20160307_162902_zps3g8j2klu.jpg

IMG_20160307_162913_zps3awaat8j.jpg

• Like 7