MiG 29 Fulcrum C (9-13), GWH 1/48 + Big Ed

For my next build I have gone modern day and will build the Great Wall Hobby 1/48 MiG-29 Fulcrum C 9-13.

I don't think this kit needs too much introduction as it has been widely reviewed and many great builds have been completed. Hopefully I can do it some justice!

I intend to build a modern Fulcrum based on the Linden Hill Decal sheet 'Pavlov's MiG's', these aircraft are depicted as they appeared in 2015 and sport typical MiG-29 grey/green camouflage and markings for contemporary MiG 29's. I addition these aircraft sport quite interesting individual markings after they were blessed on there arrival to Erebuni AB in Armenia, where the aircraft have been operating in the QRA role.

I will add the Eduard Big Ed photo etch set. Paint will be from the Akah lacquer acrylics, AK interactive Xtreme metal and Vallejo for anything else.

A couple of shots of the kit unboxed:

24336205803_d2b8411851_b.jpg

the quality of the presentation and packaging is second to none.

24332453504_a748093766_b.jpg

The slide moulded missiles are exquisite.

The engine detail is also impressive, some mad part of me wants to depict the aircraft with an engine dropped out for servicing/replacement.

24332453104_c692c2bbe7_b.jpg

Finally a comparison with the Fulcrum's cousin the Su-33 (Kinetic kit), this really shows how much bigger the Flanker series is compared to the MiG-29!

24963054245_0310e8a404_b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 11

A quick update.

Started work on the K-36 bang seat, the Eduard PE involves removing some moulded items on the sides of the seats and then folding and adding the bits of PE.

There are lots more pieces of coloured PE to add once the seat is painted.

24633854849_1675a74132_b.jpg

I've also started work on the engines and exhaust nozzles, these are very finely moulded and will benefit from some attention to bring all the detail out.

There are a couple of ejector pin marks that need removing from the inner nozzle assembly, the large marks on the internal faces of the outer assembly are covered by the internals.

24908190431_7f22fec2bb_b.jpg

These required a little tickle with the sanding stick to sit snug.

25001475165_706a69eb38_b.jpg

• Like 2

Nice build, Weasel.

I've recently bought one of these so I'm absolutely following this one for sure.

Y'know I've purchased this kit as well, 'n' unfortunately for me, it somehow brought the 9-12 upper fuselage half with the normal spine instead.

Question is, would it still be possible to build a 9-12 Fulcrum usin' the rest of the parts in the 9-13 box?

Work continues on the cockpit which is mostly complete and ready to be fixed into the fuselage.

Akan paint 73145 was used for the cockpit interior which is slightly lighter than the Eduard coloured PE, although once installed though it should not be too noticeable.

The laquer Akan paints (made by DuPont in Belgium) spray really nicely, although the grey (63092) used overall on the MiG 29 is very similar colour to Mr Surfacer - must paint during daylight...

I'm struggling a little bit with the correct colour for the soft(?) headrest area of the K-36, some photos show a dark pretty much black, others show a green/olive drab colour?

http://www.airforce.ru/content/attachments/59336d1416605010-a_pavlov_mig-29_21_1280.jpg

http://forums.airforce.ru/attachments/foto-video/40579d1344594072-img_3092.jpg/

green headrest, possibly a cover? (need to click through a couple of photos to relevant shot):

http://armenpress.am/eng/multimedia/slideshows/56440/

24481726144_a8afa940f7_b.jpg

25112386035_504047d0f3_b.jpg

24994200382_770b205cf0_b.jpg

Edited by WildWeasel
  • Like 1

I'll be following your build closely. I'm a little bit further ahead although my project stalled for a while. Don't get me wrong……I love this kit but it has not, so far, fallen together quite as the glowing reviews would have us believe. Interestingly, the reviewer in a German magazine I occasionally read experienced the same minor issues with fit - something the English language press do not seem to have picked up on. I'm pleased to see you appear to have departed from the instructions and completed assembly of the fuselage before starting on the intake trunks. I found it quite difficult to get the rearmost sections of the intakes to wrap themselves around the engines….For my next build (and I WILL be building more of these), I'm going to omit most of the engine to avoid this issue. I have also found the need to use several plasticard 'shims' to close up gaps in the underside of the wings and several of the separate flying control surfaces. I found the fit of the leading edge slats differed too; one fitted like a dream, the other needed a shim on the rear trailing edge and another where it abuts the fuselage. I closed up the air brake on my current build and in doing so also found the need to resort to some plasticard shims to tidy up this area. That is the minor frustration with this kit……..the fit of the intake ramps and associated photo-etched grilles on the upper fuselage are sublime and the cockpit is excellent, out-of-the-box.

Anyway, Good Luck

• Like 2

I'll be following your build closely. I'm a little bit further ahead although my project stalled for a while. Don't get me wrong……I love this kit but it has not, so far, fallen together quite as the glowing reviews would have us believe. Interestingly, the reviewer in a German magazine I occasionally read experienced the same minor issues with fit - something the English language press do not seem to have picked up on. I'm pleased to see you appear to have departed from the instructions and completed assembly of the fuselage before starting on the intake trunks. I found it quite difficult to get the rearmost sections of the intakes to wrap themselves around the engines….For my next build (and I WILL be building more of these), I'm going to omit most of the engine to avoid this issue. I have also found the need to use several plasticard 'shims' to close up gaps in the underside of the wings and several of the separate flying control surfaces. I found the fit of the leading edge slats differed too; one fitted like a dream, the other needed a shim on the rear trailing edge and another where it abuts the fuselage. I closed up the air brake on my current build and in doing so also found the need to resort to some plasticard shims to tidy up this area. That is the minor frustration with this kit……..the fit of the intake ramps and associated photo-etched grilles on the upper fuselage are sublime and the cockpit is excellent, out-of-the-box.

Anyway, Good Luck

Yes it isn't a kit that falls together.

Thanks for the heads up on the issues.

I've just managed to snap one of the tailplane's off :banghead: - just ordered some brass rod to make them a more secure fitting.

Also the fit of the vertical fins has a fair it of play which makes setting the angle tricky.

I'm undecided as to the airbrake, the eduard PE offers a nice amount of extras detail in this area. Which of course won't be seen if shut. Although some photos I have seen show the lower section of the airbrake partially open when the aircraft is powered down.

Yes it isn't a kit that falls together.

Thanks for the heads up on the issues.

I've just managed to snap one of the tailplane's off :banghead: - just ordered some brass rod to make them a more secure fitting.

Also the fit of the vertical fins has a fair it of play which makes setting the angle tricky.

I'm undecided as to the airbrake, the eduard PE offers a nice amount of extras detail in this area. Which of course won't be seen if shut. Although some photos I have seen show the lower section of the airbrake partially open when the aircraft is powered down.

You reminded me on one of the issues I omitted……the tailplanes. I had read in the German magazine that the reviewer did just what you have suggested…..leave the tailplanes off and fit them later using brass rod. I've left mine off and will probably do the same. Agree your thoughts on the vertical fins…..I reinforced mine with superglue as well as plastic cement since they are handled quite a bit. For the air brake, I suspect if you leave it open, you will not experience the issues I had with it closed….the dimension of the air brake doors does not match the aperture they fold into but this is only really noticeable if they are fully closed.

• Like 1

Hmm, the chaff/flare housing extensions seem to be called out on the wrong sides - H1 should be the port dispenser and H6 the starboard?

Also the instructions do not explicitly call out drilling out the locating holes for the pins on the inderside of the dispensers, these might have made it more obvious!

H1 as per instructions:

25056524822_8bbbd79089_b.jpg

Correct (?) location for H1:

24547948863_e573df5311_b.jpg

This shot seems to support the latter:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-29S-(9-13S)/2742468/L/&sid=ead05bceb7cc2e483cd6df6d8312be64

Separately I have started dry fitting the engine parts and found that I have glued the rear turbine face the wrong way up on the back of the engine. This means that the locating lugs for the exhaust can will align the nozzle pointing upwards rather than down, easy to fix but also easily missed.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Any updates?

Im on the prowl for a 29 and I do much prefer the honest builders WIP findings over "independent reviews".

• 4 years later...

I built this kit and really liked it, with a bit of care it goes together with virtually zero need for filling. I remember it was also the first time I ever used an aftermarket set of resin exhausts (can't remember whose) and it was one area where the kit was improved by the resin, but not as much as I imagined. The original parts, properly treated run it close for the money

Looking good on this build so far!

Les