1/72 African bloodsucker

Hello everyone, welcome to my first WIP.

This is also part of my long-term project to build an historical overview of the (South-)Rhodesia / Zimbabwe air force. At the moment I have 2 Vamps and 2 Hunters in the stash, with decals to match, but I'm planning on getting a Spit Mk 22 and a Chengdu J-7 in the not to distant future as well.

This is the first build in the series, making the 1/72 Airfix Vampire FB5 in the colours of the Royal Rhodesian Air Force of the mid-50ies. High-speed silver and 3 assegais on the roundels.

Rhodesia actually flew Vampire Mk 9s, but as far as I know the only difference is an air conditioning inlet somewhere. For now I'm still focussing on getting my fundamental skills up to par (cleaning up seams and gaps and such), so I'm going to ignore the Mk9 vs Mk5 difference.

Enough intro, on with the pictures.

Obligatory sprue shots (I started on this kit several years ago, before the hiatus I just came out of)

DSCN4443_zpsnwgapqkt.jpg

Putting together the fuselage, it's quite obvious this is an older kit. Cleaning up the seams without sanding off all of the raised detail was quite a challenge. Fortunately no huge ditches like I've see in some threads.

DSCN4446_zps1bcijuq0.jpg

Humbrol No.1 from a rattle-can

DSCN4447_zpsfwkl2eit.jpg

Xtracolor HIgh Speed Silver coming on in bits

DSCN4449_zpsdu0wxy1u.jpg

Had some progress over the past week. Applied a complete coat of HSS and masked off the go-faster stripe, which took me a good hour.

DSCN4451_zpsaam6budn.jpg

My model got to do its best Joker impression

DSCN4453_zpsdrc0grs6.jpg

If I were writing a scientific paper I'd phrase this as: 'Upon removal of the masking tape it was noted that the cohesive strength of the paint was greater than the adhesive strength, resulting in a portion of the paint disbonding from the substrate'. I'll leave it up to you to guess what I actually said when this happened :oops:

DSCN4455_zpsayxzicke.jpg

Fortunately the starboard side turned out better

DSCN4456_zpsrnixpl85.jpg

Today will touch up the stripe and apply a second coat of HSS, as daylight lighting showed that was needed.

Got a second coat of HSS on and touched up the stripe, which looks a lot better now

DSCN4462_zpsimu09hzw.jpg

At least, if you only look from one side.... :banghead:

DSCN4463_zps4ezwbqmw.jpg

Attempting to fix that will only make it worse, so will chalk that one up to experience and just 'tactically' position my model in the display case.

Decals and canopy are on as well. Will give the micro set & sol until this evening to dry out. Then will apply a gloss coat and stick on the landing gear and elevator mass balances and Robert will be my mother's brother.

DSCN4464_zpswf91cj5j.jpg

DSCN4465_zpsznmq9rjc.jpg

Added all the remaining bits & bobs as well as an 'moldable adhesive moment rebalancer' a.k.a a blob of blue-tack on the nosewheel to keep the nose down. Despite all the lead I stuffed in the nose it still wants to tip up.

DSCN4470_zpsso4mzibs.jpg

Some Vallejo Wash to highlight the control surfaces and this little plane is done! Pics to follow in the RFI forum shortly.