Italari 1/12 Fiat Mefistofeles

kpnuts

Hi all here's the next installment.
A lot of the kit supplied tubing is way out of scale, another member (activexp) is building this (to a much higher standard than I could hope to and they are using shrink wrap tubing to great effect) the following photo is of the kit supplied tubing and the tubing I intend to use (I think you can see there is quite a difference)

I found the instructions confusing with the tubes, the callouts didn't agree with what's in the box and I never found a use for the clear tube :hmmm:

Hi all here is today's bit.

7CVAFHN.jpg

BMWqwG4.jpg

tWqceuB.jpg

will keep an eye out for where the clear tube is used mate, if I find a use I will let you know (you probably will need to take yours completely apart when/ if I find a use for it.

• Like 2

Hi all I've just realised there is a huge error on this engines valve gear, every single cylinder is moulded in compression stroke (all valves closed) every multi cylinder engine I've ever worked on whilst one is closed the other is either on exhaust or intake stroke, had I have noticed before I'd brass leafed or stuck them on I could have corrected it fairly easily I think, too late now but for anyone else building this a point to remember.

• Like 1

Hi all well as I'm doing this as she was for the record run I've primed her in black(she was painted red some time after she went into the museum, on the run she was black)

Tx2hm2y.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all well done a bit more on this, I was told by activexp the chain is very difficult to do(you put it together in sections then melt the little pins to keep the chain together)

well as he did I melted the first link to the one underneath, so I had a rethink activexp tried a solering iron with adjustable heat setting and even on the lower setting had trouble with melting links so that method I ruled out, my solution which seemed to work quite well after a few minor changes (tried cold water but cooled the blade to quick)I put the chain assy in a shallow glass dish and put just enough hot water in till it is level with the top link then heat the knife blade up and melt the pin, I made the water as hot as I could bare to put my hand in (not boiling as was worried it might warp or melt the plastic)

PNZCXAp.jpg

epc6MdT.jpg

this is just one set there are I think 4 more

V4YaOsl.jpg

mfhl7JY.jpg

SsYDa4I.jpg

The chains are looking good Ken. Is every link flexible? I suffered eye-strain, shaky hands and boredom with mine and probably rushed them with unsatisfactory results.

I've been tempted by this kit, because my Airfix Bentley needs some company in the stash. :) It's great to see people going ahead with their big builds.

Looking good so far, and I agree that the black will be nice. Just don't go all modern and make it utra-shiny, that'll look wrong.

Hi all thinking of giving up this modeling lark but will finish what I've started and the Rolls,tbh i just don't have the time and apart from the loyal few no one is really interested in what i'm doing, anyway here is where i'm at on this .

MdaWrmE.jpg

LbFz2Xf.jpg

FCvnQAa.jpg

• Like 3

Hello Ken.

I'm sure many are following your build, but very few (if any sometimes) post any comments.

I've felt the same on numerous occasions when all you want are a few comments, chat and maybe questions.

My current build has comments from pretty much one person...

So that's how it is.

Don't let it put you off though even though it can be downheartening.

Half the trouble is that most car builders here build 'little' stuff, so don't always seem interested in anything big.

I hold my hands up too - I don't always comment on various builds as often as I should but it doesn't mean I'm not following.

Sometimes people only have a spare 10 minutes, and they buzz through half a dozen threads.

Look at how many VIEWS your thread has. Don't worry about the comments.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2

If you're looking for forum involvement, build a WW2 aircraft, guaranteed to get comments and replies on that subject.

I've been looking at your build but not been compelled to write a comment, till now.

Anyway, you seem to be doing a good job of it. I think you need to build for your own enjoyment primarily

Steve.

• Like 3

I agree with the previous posters.

Have a look at the number of views on your build reports and you know people follow and read your posts.

The "problem" with this report is:

1. the subject is a car, so by default you will reach less people's interest then the military builders,

2. the scale of the model is outside 1/24-1/25, so a lot of car builders will not even look at it,

3. the subject is a 1920's car, so interest is lower by definition then a rally or track race car,

4. the subject is LSR car, which is a niche even to car builders.

Never mind, as long as people continue to read you're OK.

• Like 1

Please continue posting pictures on your build.

I have never myself build a big car like this one, but I am very interested in learning how to do it. I plan on building the same Fiat model at a later time.

It is a long time since I have build plastic models. The last 20 years I have only worked with static display kits of ships, all in wood.

• Like 1

Please continue the build and posting the pics. As someone fairly new to modelling this is fascinating to me.

Much more so than the military builds everyone seems to be into. :)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 1

Just on the other point you made about lack of time to model. It can happen from time to time, life gets 'in the way' of your 'me time'. I didn't really get to the bench through the entire Summer last year. It did feel sweet when I finally got back to it though. Sometimes a lay-off is just what's needed.

I find it helps my golf as well (I am a c**p golfer but it doesn't stop me enjoying a round)

Steve.

Thanks all for the kind comments, as I said it's a time thing, I was building practically every day but find now I can only get a couple of days a week, I find it so frustrating and can only see it getting worse.

I second what has already been said. A couple of days a week is more than some get. The point is, do you enjoy the time you have? If so, carry on!

There are plenty of us watching, if not commenting. Try posting a WWI aircraft build and see how little response you get! It's nice to have feedback, but at the end of the day, it's about having fun!

Ian

I've followed many of your builds with interest, the ships, Real de France, Soleil Royal. The big Citroen Traction and now the Mefistofele. and the bikes. As well as your difficulties with Heller .. All have been followed interest to me as an average modeller - not a super detailer - some of your finishing techniques are brill and I have learned a lot . Keep up the good work Ken - I for one enjoy following your builds :) . As Ian above says - its all about having fun.

Just a footnote on the chain drive on the Mefistofele ... if it is the same chain as Protar provided with their bike kits - is it over scale or does a 1/9 bike chain equate to the 1/12 chain on the big Mefistofele ?

Best wishes

BillyD

I've followed many of your builds with interest, the ships, Real de France, Soleil Royal. The big Citroen Traction and now the Mefistofele. and the bikes. As well as your difficulties with Heller .. All have been followed interest to me as an average modeller - not a super detailer - some of your finishing techniques are brill and I have learned a lot . Keep up the good work Ken - I for one enjoy following your builds :) . As Ian above says - its all about having fun.

I'll second that :)