1/32 Tornado GR1

One of our customers at Modelair saw John Darlington's fantastic Revell 1/32 Tornado on display, and wanted to buy it. After a very quick 'it's not for sale' from John, I offered to build him one, as I wanted an excuse to build one. The deal was- it was to be identical to Johns. Originally I thought this would be easy to comply with, however discovering the boxing was limited edition, the Paragon design flaps were out of production and cockpit was Black box resin, sourcing everything got interesting. Luckily BNA models had the kitset, I used the Aires resin cockpit, which was sourced from Hannants... then there was the flaps, all that I had available to me were photo etched Flight path ones, and this would be my first venture into a large photo etch set of this detail.

Overall the build was quite satisfying. The plastic was easy to work, the fit overall wasn't bad, the cockpit set was nicely detailed and I'm happy with the results. The flaps were possibly the most daunting thing I've done in modelling. I got them built and put in place, however before the paint was on I was thinking to myself 'what have I got myself into'. They looked terrible before the paint went on. However I decided to persevere and spray some paint on them- what a way to cover a world of sins. The before and after was worlds apart. They are very delicate, but I'm pretty pleased with them.

While we had the camera out, we decided to get a few photos of Johns one and my one together, then all of the Tornado's we have done in a group shot. 5 Tornado's together is quite an impressive thing in the flesh.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Regards,

Alan

IMG_0498_zpszboo1n98.jpg

IMG_0499_zpssqiyn6k4.jpg

IMG_0497_zpsnzdxcq3z.jpg

IMG_0503_zpsgjkzrjar.jpg

IMG_0505_zpseh0c1x2q.jpg

IMG_0507_zpspywnk3fd.jpg

IMG_0515_zpsc3jolp8y.jpg

IMG_0516_zpsq8z3fvpy.jpg

IMG_0511_zpsu6wsieyy.jpg

IMG_0522_zpsvbqzno9y.jpg

IMG_0519_zpstxrwxbrl.jpg

IMG_0518_zpsvm8tpxbv.jpg

IMG_0526_zps4r9nizgt.jpg

• Like 39

Hello,Alan - My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Tornado'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and commend the retrained weathering.She is a resplendent tribute the Dambusters Squadron and the type.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1