Neu's Hurricane builds thread.

-Neu-

Hey Everybody

First off, I must apologize for my absence. I've been busy, for few reasons, which has taken up most of my time over the past month or so. I'm kinda coming out of it, so I'll have more time to devote to kits.

I've been working on hurricanes, diligently for the past few months. I initially thought I'd do something for the BoB GB, but in my usual fashion, I made an easy kit a lot harder and it took much more time than I initially expected. I replaced the wingtip lights with actual clear sprue.

12O%20-%202_zpsa4xen2ev.jpg

Scratchbuilt a fair portion of the cockpit using spare PE and sprue (which I've now discovered that they are the wrong colour thanks to troy and... also the image is washed out and a lot of the detail is lost in the photo)

12M%20-%205_zps98cizabs.jpg

12M%20-%204_zps89enwgra.jpg

and tried to soften the overdone fuselage fabric. So I'm nearly done those... probably by friday, except for one of the canopies which I've lost and I'll need to scrounge a replacement (sorry for the crap photo, I'll get another one when they are done)

04196ff5-b8b5-4f05-af3a-04e514601cb9_zps

Anyways, for this GB I have a number of options. I bought a set fof kits from a friend who was exiting the hobby.

12S%20-%201_zpsb3qusjgl.jpg

I also got a AZ rag wing. I don't think I'll be able to build all seven kits, but I'd like to do three, four if time allows. For Aftermarket I have three sets of PE from Kuilvalnen... as well as three canopies from Rob Taurus, and a dual set from Squadron for the revell kits.

12S%20-%204_zpsup5navti.jpg

My thoughts are to finish another 310 squadron aircraft to go along with the two above. I have the Plastic Planet' decal set, which I've used for the two original models above...

12M%20-%202_zpsb86qqek8.jpg

I might also do the Hasegawa Finnish AF Mk.1 boxing, or a fourth 310 scheme, if I can find a tail flash with a red that matches the Plastic Planet's colours, and one of the revell ones, maybe the II.B, since that seems to be a bit rarer in terms of builds.

Hopefully I'll start this weekend and we'll get some builds going.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by -Neu-
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

So to start I need to make an apology. The last three months have been hellish due to a confluence of work and other commitments as well as the fact we're now expecting our first little one. Probably the killer is the 13 little mouths I have to feed every day.

C4930D97-6E86-41D0-B8B5-2DA184E1B953_zps

Anyways, I've been able to put time into the kits, roughly an hour here and there every evening, and I don't think I can get two kits done by the end of the GB... but I'll be pretty close.

So here are the fuselage halves prepped. I added some stretch sprue painted to simulate the internal tubing, and applied the PE to it and various parts. The Kuilvalnen is coloured and its shades are slightly off from the Gunze interior color, but its nearly indistinguishable (not to mention invisible) when a wash is applied and the cockpit is closed up.

12V%20-%203_zpsvxhgxvuk.jpg

Here is a bit of a wash and the seat belts installed.

12V%20-%209_zpsjvpfihlv.jpg

Here are the planes with the fuselages' closed up...

12V%20-%205_zps11ynu9hc.jpg

And the wings' installed.

12V%20-%206_zpsw101dz1c.jpg

And then there is my least liked part: masking canopies. I decided to use a Rob Taurus set from the Czech Republic, which I've found to be very good in the past.

12V%20-%204_zpsxkhjatln.jpg

I tried several different pre-made masks, but none conformed to the kits' or vacuform canopies... so I had to largely do it on my own. Mr Hobby makes several different kabuki sheets of various shapes and strips that I used, as well as a maketar canopy surivival set for some of the more difficult shapes, like the curve of the canopy frame at the top.

12V%20-%207_zpsd8bqz8rj.jpg

So I've started attaching them to the fuselages, and I should be done that tonight. Afterwards, its straight to painting, where I'll be using some masks to cut down on time.

Thanks for looking, and apologies on my lack of presence.