1/72 - Messerschmitt Me.262a/b Schwalbe & Avia S-92/C-92 Turbina by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) (plastic Směr) - box art+decals+sprues+schemes - release in April 2024

Homebee

Sales... they obviously feel it will make them money. They're probably right.

As for me, I've got 2 Hasegawa's, 3 Revell's and an Academy in the stash, none of which I consider fundamentally flawed, so I'll give this one a miss.

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 1

Unless they have changed the tooling, then the Hasegawa nacelles are too shallow, being correct for the early prototypes but incorrect for the production aircraft. The recommended correction used to be to use Matchbox nacelles, being cheap and readily available - no longer true, of course. You may not consider this a fundamental fault, but given the choice, I do. Unless I wanted to do an early prototype, of course. PS I have a Jo Han and a SMER/Heller in the stash, so I'm giving this one a miss too.

Why does AZ/KP do Spitfires, Mustangs, etc? I guess the same logic - popular prototype=money. And I still do not have a Me-262 in stash - so it's likely I don't give it a miss :)

P.S. BTW Avia S-92 is a huge surprise to me! I never knew that Czechs built it postwar!

Edited by Dennis_C

Unless they have changed the tooling, then the Hasegawa nacelles are too shallow, being correct for the early prototypes but incorrect for the production aircraft. The recommended correction used to be to use Matchbox nacelles, being cheap and readily available - no longer true, of course. You may not consider this a fundamental fault, but given the choice, I do. Unless I wanted to do an early prototype, of course. PS I have a Jo Han and a SMER/Heller in the stash, so I'm giving this one a miss too.

I measured the nacelle halves on the Revell, Academy and Hasegawa and the rear end of the Hasegawa is a little shallower, it's about a mm. The rest of the nacelle is identical among the three kits. Seems harsh to consider it fatally flawed on that account but to each his own of course. I would say most kits have minor geometry issues of this kind.

By the way, anybody who wants to get rid of their Hasegawa 262s, I'll take them of your hands for free, P&P for sender of course ;)

• Like 1

You also have to keep in mind that AZ is in the process of rebuilding and modernizing the KP brand and its associated catalog.

They need some reliable subjects to pull that off and this is just the sort of subject that could do it for them.

• Like 1

One mm is meaningless in itself. It only matters as a proportion, and there aren't many mm in the depth of an Me262 nacelle, and shapes can be subtle.

As a matter of principle, comparing different kits may not be the best way to decide that one is wrong. It's not uncommon for several kits to follow the same incorrect plans. This argument can cut either way, of course: if the Hasegawa kit does turn out to be right, so much the better. However I don't have any spare for you: I never bought it because I was convinced by the descriptions and demonstrations of those who did.

Edited by Graham Boak

Sales... they obviously feel it will make them money. They're probably right.

As for me, I've got 2 Hasegawa's, 3 Revell's and an Academy in the stash, none of which I consider fundamentally flawed, so I'll give this one a miss.

And I have a total of zero lol so if this is a decent kit I'll pick it up 😇

I'll be buying at least one but probably a few of these, can't resist a 1/72nd 262!

Current stash is 3 Academy (can't remember what but something is wrong with it) 5 Hasegawa (nacelles slightly wrong, think the undercarriage bays are blocked off?) 2 Matchbox (dodgy canopy, no cockpit detail) 25 + Revell A's B's and recon variants, early A boxing is best quality as the mould was damaged at some point wrecking one of the engine starter bullets and the clear parts have deteriorated. (Undercarriage bays completely blocked off, IIRC the landing gear is too tall, in the later boxings there are a LOT of sink holes especially in the main gear wheels) one Monogram Pro Modeller which is the Revell kit & a Special Hobby three-seater night fighter that was never built. Think I have a couple Heller B's too.

Paul Harrison

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, John Thompson said:

What, no wings or tailplanes?! I hope they're not asking a whole lot of money for it!   :whistle:

First Airfix's 1/72nd Lightning F.6 without horizontal tails, and now this!  :) 

Cheers,

Andre

• Haha 3