Petit-Beargguy in Alcald II purple.

So my next project is a small one but it is a painting test for me, I have just ordered some Alcald II paints in chrome, black chrome and purple. I want to paint a HGUC Kshatryia in these colours but the I have never used these paints before and understand they can be a bit tricky to use, so thats were this little guy comes in. At this stage I`m not planning on doing a lot, just the basic build and remove the seam lines, this one is all about the paint. So on with removing the seam lines for now.

20160208_213535_zpsinj3cpji.jpg

20160208_220832_zpsymrcvb3j.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good! FWIW I found the Alclad paints very easy to use, but for the shiny finishes the surface they're going onto needs to be very smooth. The paint is so thin that anything and everything will show through.

Will

It might fill up with a couple of coats of primer, especially if you can airbrush it on.

You could also try brushing on Mr. Surfacer or Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer, but make sure to give them a good long time to dry before sanding as they all shrink.

HTH,

Will

Cool I like the Bearguy!

Word of advice with the Hot Metal Violet, have patience when spraying, it will take quite a bit of spraying to build up the colour, in fact when you first start it may seem like its not doing anything but dont be tempted to linger in any place or you'll get a patches that you cant get rid of, and gradually you'll see the colour start to build up.

And you'll be surprised at the amount of paint you'll use up even on a smaller model like this, I painted a 1/9 Ironman using Hot Metal Red and it took 4 bottles!

Look forward to more progress :)

Thanks for the advice. 4 bottles is a lot of paint and if it takes that much to cover i don't think i will be buying to much more.

I have had some success filling those very small gaps with liquid glue and plastic shavings mixed into a paste.

Edited by rockpopandchips

The metallic paints cover very well though, and the bottles seem to last a long time.

I think the Hot Metal paints are intended for spraying thin tints over metallics (think jet exhausts with heat staining) so they're necessarily dilute. Alclad also do a range of candy enamel paints which I suspect have more colour density.

Hunter Rose's Ironman does look super cool though - really rich deep red :)

Will

• Like 1

Oh yeah just to clarify yes that is just for the hot metal range, as Will said they are very dilute for spraying over metal finishes, the metallic paints themselves cover very well.

And I'm sure on this guy one bottle will be enough, especially if your spraying over chrome like you mentioned

Hunter Rose's Ironman does look super cool though - really rich deep red :)

Cheers mate :)

Hmm in my experience I've never had to buff alclad, yeah it might be your a bit far away, i usually spray about 3-4" from the surface.

what might be happening is its drying a bit before it hits so your getting a dusty finish, which i guess would then be improved by buffing as your rubbing away the dust

Just tried again same thing, strayed at about 10~12psi and it looks total crap. Any ideas. To cold, to humid etc?

And i should thank you so far......

Pic here.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o513/brian07900/20160213_192744_zps88lfl94v.jpg

It'd help to see a picture of an example black-painted bit to see what the surface looks like underneath?

It definitely wants to go on wet when it hits the surface, but you have to be careful not to flood it as well, and probably don't over-coat the surface until it's had whatever the re-coat time on the bottle is.

Might be worth practicing on some plastic teaspoons?

Will

I will sort some pictures. The black base was clean smooth and gloss. I was very happy with it.

I had another go this morning this time im doing ridiculously light coats, im up to 5 on the head part. Its going better but I'm still getting matt spotts just not as bad due to the very light coats being sprayed on. The matt spots are buffing out.

Off to the shops to get spoons.

Thanks for your help.