1/72 - Grigorovich IP-1 by Avis - released

Homebee

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
13 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I will make this one the first kit of 2018...it's on the bench as we speak!

Have any of you guys built it yet?

I built it when it was first released, about a year and a half ago so my recollections may be a bit foggy, but:

- The engine is basic and can be improved by adding stretched sprue pushrod tubes - at two per cylinder, quite a lot of them!

- Wing assembly needs a bit of care so that you don't get a small step at the leading edge of the flaps

- I seem to recall that the oil cooler under the cowling needed some refinement

- There were two releases, one with skis and one without. The underwing cannon gondolas are included (it was a "cannon fighter", after all), but neither boxing includes the smaller, flattened machine gun gondolas that were sometimes used in service, so if you want to do a version that carried these, you'll have to make them from scrap plastic.

- All in all, it's a pretty decent kit and builds up nicely with very little trouble.

John

Thanks John.  I'll take your advice.  So far so good on the build.  Pretty basic stuff.

Once again this will be practice piece for my airbrushing.  White over green for the skied variety.

--John

I have one too in the to do pile.... :-) I got it as its one of those odd russki types....... Totallly different!

If there is going to be a WIP, ill defiently be watching.......

Mark

Since I started so much already I won't make this a formal WiP thread...just to let you guys in on the progress.

Ok..A-Model reboot from Avis...some flash, mostly nugget-like chunks of moulding that needs to be cleaned around all surfaces before they can fit together.  As you see, I have already completed the cockpit (OOB) and put together the fuselage halves.  The motor, bulkhead, etc...are all in there and the cowling has been attached as well.  All of this needed a fair amount of putty to seal things in.  I have also put together the wings and test fitted them to the fuselage.  No real problems, but then again, more putty will be needed.  I have put together the cannons and their support pods.  

John...where would the machine guns go?

The only non-OOB feature I have done is to follow John Thompson's advice and whip up some push-rods for the cylinder heads.  They are in red sprue before painting...

39422051412_86a6d73a08_z_d.jpg

39422049742_3696b46b94_z_d.jpg

39422048292_1edc8726f6_z_d.jpg

That's so far.  This'll be a quick build, I hope, and give me time to play with my airbrush.  For me, that's what this kit is all about.

--John

• Like 1

Looking good! Drawings which show the location of the machine gun gondolas can be downloaded here:

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/ip1.html

Here's one which embedded automatically:

show_file.php?fid=123347

Here's the Google images page, which should be helpful:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Григорович+ИП-1&sa=N&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwjKgNCtvrrYAhUK8IMKHZIMD6g4ChCwBAgl&biw=1024&bih=609#imgrc=_

Aaaand if you want to get really sophisticated, here's the Cyrillic text for "Grigorovich IP-1", which you can plug into your search engine to look for Russian pages:

Григорович ИП-1

Have fun!

John

Edited by John Thompson

Thanks John...

I notice that the machine-gun pods are in the same place as the cannon.  I might have to build a wheeled version of this and add the guns on that one.

For now, it'll be the wing cannons and skis.

At this pint I have pretty much finished the model but I'll add these 4 pictures to show some of my novice airbrushing...shadowing, etc...all the paints are Vallejo Air which spray out beautifully with no need for thinning.  Thee colors are aluminum, black, grey-blue and Russian green (not shown yet).  I'll post the finished model tomorrow when the light is better and I can photograph it outside.

My homemade spray booth...

38794818494_b48f48cc1e_z_d.jpg

topside...

27726851969_60ebb9038e_z_d.jpg

underside...

39503331431_f05937ea1d_z_d.jpg

...and some blue...

39503329991_e493e97ae5_z_d.jpg

more anon...

--John

• Like 1

On 1/5/2018 at 5:52 AM, John D.C. Masters said:

At this pint I have pretty much finished the model but I'll add these 4 pictures to show some of my novice airbrushing...shadowing, etc...all the paints are Vallejo Air which spray out beautifully with no need for thinning.  Thee colors are aluminum, black, grey-blue and Russian green (not shown yet).  I'll post the finished model tomorrow when the light is better and I can photograph it outside.

My homemade spray booth...

Hi John,

Your spray booth is more sophisticated than mine!

I have mostly been using Model Air, which I really like. Can I ask what kind of airbrush you use (nozzle size) and what pressure? I find it maddening to trouble-shoot spray painting, and I feel I need to do a lot of it.

Regards,

David 

No problem...I use a .2mm needle and the airbrush is, I think, a single action until that I purchased via my local hobby shop.  It has their logo on it and the compressor so I am not sure of the brand, maybe 'GS'?  They told me it is a good airbrush for someone who had never used it before.

I keep my psi quite low, around 10-12psi for now.  With practice I could probably increase that but the Youtube tutorials I have seen all stress a lower psi for a more subtle, gentle approach.  So far this is my route.  More passes with the spray at a lower psi seem to give me more control.  Also, adjust the screw at the end to give you more flexibility with the trigger.  Now, this all being said, I may be going about it all wrong, which would be par for the course, but so far I am happy with the results.

Go to Youtube.  Many, many excellent tutorials.  Good luck!