1/72 - Edgley EA-7 Optica by AviS - released - new boxing

Homebee

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't the Army evaluate one? I have some sort of memory of reafing about it in the early 80's. I fancy one having seen it at Finningley (?) at a BoB display. 

40 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Didn't the Army evaluate one? I have some sort of memory of reafing about it in the early 80's. I fancy one having seen it at Finningley (?) at a BoB display. 

Wiki mentions the two seat trainer version (Sprint) as being built with the military in mind, but fails to mention if any trials took place. Interesting to read that ten airframes were destroyed in an arson attack on the factory.

Steve

• Sad 1

Yes, I read that. I must have read an in depth article about the plane sometime in the past, but a lot of life has happened in between. 

Edited by Mr T
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mine arrived from the Big H today, the first Avis kit I have seen so I had no preconceptions. First impressions:

The tail booms have locating pins and tabs, as does the engine pod; very unexpected.  We shall see how accurately they actually fit come the build. The sprues have part numbers moulded on adjacent to the relevant parts as well, also unexpected.

There is some flash, not entirely unexpected for a short run kit, and the panel lines may be a bit heavy for some. Maybe not as heavy as some of the recent Airfix kits but not as fine as Eduard's perhaps.

Some of the sprue gates are quite large, again not unexpected for a short run kit. Some of them encroach on to the mating surfaces of the kit parts though, notably on the tail booms, so careful removal from the sprues and clean up will be required.

Both the control columns and one of the flap actuators on my example are short-shot. The actuator can be saved with the addition of a little fine wire, but the control columns will have to be scratch built as there is probably only half the part actually moulded.

There is a huge sink mark on the central control console moulding that will have to be filled and sanded.

The clear parts are every bit as clear as in the photo posted by Homebee. Assembling and aligning that four piece clear cabin pod looks a bit daunting though.

Just my two-penneth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2