1/32 Fisher Sea Fury

gishuk

Made a start on this build a few weeks ago, my first all resin kit :analintruder:

The Sea Fury is my favourite piston fighter and this kit is apparently one of the best, so it seems like a good one to start with.

Spent quite a bit of time getting the fit roughly there on the major components before actually sticking anything at all together, so there hasnt been anything worth showing, but now im happy with how its going to fit together I have built the cockpit and the engine.

The cockpit on this is the best ive seen, there seems to be nothing at all missing from the real thing. Shame you'll hardly see any of it in the end.

013_zpsxfrcozbq.jpg

Heres the cockpit painted in its opened state.

008_zpsywgiifmu.jpg

And then stuck together to form the tub, giving an idea how little of this will be visible in the end.

015_zpsqwiextne.jpg

Next job is to stick it into the fuselage, brace it in there to make sure theres no rage inducing movement of it later on, which would be impossible to fix, and then get the lower wing joined on.

• Like 9

Lovely progress, I have finished one as FAA and then have one other 2/3 built as the 2 Seater and 1 remaining to be a Canadian Sea Fury.

I never did a WIP on Britmodeller but I actually found the model easier than many plastic kits. It was my second all resin model after the MDC Tyhoon.

I hope you do not mind me commenting but I did contact the FAA museum with regards to the seat cover colour and the belts. They said the belts were blue and the seat quilting a green (although it is now longer that colour in their aircraft due to ageing).

Well I have the seat padding in green so im 50% right :coolio:

I think once the fuselage is together it should be straightforward enough, but getting that correctly spaced to match the cowling without creating alot of work fillering the gaps could be a little tricky.

I went to Reno for the Air Races last fall and was allowed to get some pictures of Dreadnaught, Argonaught and 924. Really looking forward to your build of this kit.

DSCF2312_zpsyocthnsf.jpg

IMG_6851_zpsc13vjrjx.jpgDSCF3196_zpsliuioz89.jpgIMG_6852_zpstqb0yrf8.jpgIMG_6850_zpssthyjyhk.jpgDSCF3200_zps4bxcxe8z.jpgDSCF3199_zpsgx77eu4z.jpgDSCF3198_zpsu8onaucx.jpgDSCF3201_zpsbsrbedzk.jpgDSCF3335_zpszdhzoj8k.jpgDSCF3391_zpsajpkg8j7.jpgDSCF3394_zpsyecgn7zk.jpgDSCF3377_zpsb5zisbps.jpgDSCF2294_zpsio2kc4fp.jpgDSCF2301_zpsa8qh3g6h.jpgDSCF2299_zpsevzbyeoe.jpgDSCF2306_zps5cdsttaa.jpgDSCF2303_zpsw8hozqv5.jpgDSCF2293_zpsdhrjl8rg.jpgDSCF2298_zpsbxh1nria.jpgDSCF2292_zpssueajvtw.jpgDSCF2295_zpsbgesvcem.jpgDSCF3117_zpszjtk2a5z.jpgDSCF3115_zps7fbei3lp.jpgDSCF3109_zpspm6ibobc.jpgDSCF2279_zpsy4kd0hgx.jpgDSCF2278_zpsyzvfojw7.jpg

Edited by F1Boomer
  • Like 4

I have always wanted to build this kit. Just need to find one first!

My all-time favourite piston-engined aircraft, bar none.

P.S. My word, those Reno cockpits are clean! Great pic of the engine.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

The cockpit has now vanished into the black hole of the fuselage.

DSC_9272_zpsfomnuvgf.jpg

With that secured in with some bracing under the tub Ive started looking at the wing and fuselage join. Bit of work to do here still, I have it fitting properly at the cowling but still need to fill that gap with plasticard strips to give it a strong joining surface.

DSC_9273_zpsub4nz8wj.jpg

• Like 2

I have three of these and have never seen the gap that you have. I have 2 singles seater and 1 twin seater. Excuse the poor quality photos and all the dust. If you want these removed from your thread then just let me know.

Single seater - folded wing set but finished unfolded (long story)

IMG_3851_zpsfdpxqmgu.jpg

IMG_3855_zpsgdq1svpl.jpg

Twin seater - stock wing in the box.

IMG_3860_zpstzykha4d.jpg

IMG_3861_zpsbbvudmkf.jpg

Single seater - stock wing. This is one of the very early models hence the gray resin fuselage.

IMG_3868_zpsdjx0e8fu.jpg

IMG_3869_zps03k4yrfv.jpg

All three of these had a snug fit between fuselage and wing.

• Like 2

I contacted Paul Fisher about the size of this gap and he agrees that it is beyond what should be there and is going to sort me out with some new parts in a couple of weeks when he does another run on some refreshed moulds.

Puts the build on hold for a little bit, but I cant really ask for better customer service than that so not a problem at all.

Cro, no problem having those photos, that singe seater looks great and crying out to be finished!

• Like 1

I contacted Paul Fisher about the size of this gap and he agrees that it is beyond what should be there and is going to sort me out with some new parts in a couple of weeks when he does another run on some refreshed moulds.

Puts the build on hold for a little bit, but I cant really ask for better customer service than that so not a problem at all.

Cro, no problem having those photos, that singe seater looks great and crying out to be finished!

That is great to hear. Will make life a lot easier I am sure.

Paul Fisher is an amazing guy - I have a Panther model that has been sitting on the shelf of doom for so long that my wife threw the kit box (with all of the attendant parts not fitted) away. This was the canopy, photo etch, wheels and U/C, weapon pylons, drop tanks, rockets, bombs etc. I sent a note to Paul asking if I could buy these parts off him as this was obviously my fault. He sent it all through to me with no charge at all. Love the guy and his products and will be buying some more soon!

• 4 weeks later...

I recently posted my attempt at the Fisher Sea Fury on Britmodeller so it is interesting to see how others tackled this model and the nice models they produce - My Sea Fury had a gap that needed to be filled to sort out the wing and cowling alignment and these photos show how I was able to align it -- IMG_4125_zpsmeckaqg1.jpg

IMG_4241_zpsfh0to94e.jpg

I also thought that I might mention that I dropped my almost completed model twice because I found the resin heavy and slippery so I made a jig to hold the model while I worked on it -

022_zpshmpssgex.jpg

cheers Chris

• Like 2