CF-188 AETE markings question

erewhon1872

Hi all.

I'm just completing a CF-188 and want to make this aircraft

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/assets/AIRFORCE_Internet/images/news-nouvelles/2014/11/141030-f-mg-591-415.jpg

I have the Canuckmodels sheet WVD005-48 that includes a marking that is described as "AETE Type A" which is a large red cross on the outside surface of the tails.

In the picture above '743' has what I think is this cross rather crudely painted out on the tail but I'd like to include it as it would give a small dash of colour to an otherwise very grey finish.

So question is what does the "AETE Type A" mean when applied to a CF-188? Is it for some kind of training exercise or particular mission these Hornets flew? And as I want to replicate the weapons load in the picture am I ok to add this tail marking to a fully loaded CAF Hornet?

Thanks in advance to any CAF experts out there who can enlighten me.

Pete

Canadian Armed Forces AETE (Aerospace Engineering Test Establishment) is located at CFB Cold Lake, Alberta. AETE is responsible for flight tests as well as ground test for all types of aircraft operated by the Canadian Forces.

Pete

Canadian Armed Forces AETE (Aerospace Engineering Test Establishment) is located at CFB Cold Lake, Alberta. AETE is responsible for flight tests as well as ground test for all types of aircraft operated by the Canadian Forces.

Pete

thanks for the information, so if it's a flight test facility are the markings only applied when the aircraft is at Cold Lake for testing and removed once the test phase is over? Also would an aircraft marked this way carry armaments/fuel drop tanks/a sniper pod etc. or would it be a 'clean' aircraft while at Cold Lake?

Pete

188743 did carry another insignia that has been painted out, but it wasn't the AETE red X. You can see it here:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Canada---Air/McDonnell-Douglas-CF-188A/0972996/L/&sid=fde2fe48186bcef542e09a6298a73eeb

Sorry, but I can't really tell what that insignia is.

Jim

Here is a little history of 743 http://rwrwalker.ca/CF18_detailed_part1.html

And some more pictures, nothing really different from what you have seen. http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/188743/interesting/

The picture you posted Pete is from the 409 Sqn which appears to be the most recent, with whatever was on the tail in the picture Jim posted from 416 Sqn, painted over.

Lee

thanks for all the answers, so it looks like '743' was with one squadron and then transferred so they painted out the old emblem which was mid-tail and added the new one on the tail leading edge.

My mistake as the painted out symbol looked like the red 'X' of the AETE.

I think in the end I'll leave the tail with just the 409 badge, although having said that I am well qualified to paint the old badge out badly!!

Cheers as the links above have cleared up the mystery, having said that I am still not sure when the AETE mark should actually be used?

Aircraft tend to be assigned to AETE for long term, as they are used to test new equipment and new weapons. The red X shows that they're test airframes. Often their aircraft wear a red and white scheme with black trim.

flight-test-capability-01.jpg

When an aircraft is in operational scheme, it will have a red and black "X" on the fin(s). White outlines are sometimes used.

AETECF-104.GIF

17290812055_0100094986_b.jpg

I can see now the 'X' is a lot bigger and in a different position to the painted out symbol on the tail of '743'

Pete