Airfix 1/48 scale mk IX spitfire

blackdog

Here we go again had this kit for a while now was always going to get around to it , well here goes . Made a start tonight getting used to all the bits and where they go . also trying to decode all the colours for the different parts . seems a nice kit and i do like the fact that the finishing paint schemes are printed in colour . 20160207_201738_zps9c71r1zk.jpg20160207_203435-1_zps6wwfreij.jpg20160207_213425-1_zpslnyg0zcl.jpg

• Like 2

I built one a few years ago.I found that the wing trailing edges needed some severe thinning to make them a bit nearer to a believeable thickness.If I remember rightly the instructions give you the option of two cowling tops but don't tell you which one applies to which version.

I'd like to build another one just to see if I can make a decent job of it this time.

• Like 1

It makes a reasonable MkIX but no where near Airfix's current standard of Sptifire kits.

As has been said thin the trailing edge of the wing, the humped cowling is for the MkXVI with the Packard Merlin, but other than that enjoy.

I also like the fact the decal sheet is nice & glossy colour, so much so that I still have mine for reference although I haven't built this kit for 10 years!

you are all correct the kit does need a lot of fettling and the fit of all the parts are going to need filling to . very sparse instructions , im getting back into plastic kit building so this is one more step on the learning ladder and is going to be good practise on a not very expensive kit . got it at an airshow years ago in a half price sale think it cost about a fiver . but i am enjoying it , thanks for looking lads and any advise is very welcome . here are some more pics of my progress so far . cheers Andy20160208_180034_zpslzwr82re.jpg20160208_180051_zpsnnshj6pv.jpg20160208_180103_zpscpzi6qay.jpg20160208_180042-1_zpsmlfh0pp7.jpg

It makes a reasonable MkIX but no where near Airfix's current standard of Sptifire kits.

You've made a good start.

What attracted me to the kit was that the markings for the Hannas' MH 434 were included. I'm afraid I didn't finish mine, I just couldn't get the wing trailing edges thin enough. It now resides in my Spitfire spares box.

Good luck

John

• Like 3

Im not one for giving up but I did have a moment tonight the fit of this old airfix kit is very poor in places and have had to do a lot of filling . and now rubbing down followed be re scribing the not very clear panel lines . . but as my lad reminded me its all part of the fun . no pics tonight but if I can rescue the model from the filler and get the love back a bit I will confess all and share my balls ups with you lol . maybe I will look at this one as a repairing and painting exersise I totaly get your point biggles ..cheers Andy

• Like 1

Well i have pushed on through the horrid joints and poor fitting panels on this build and even rubbed down the filler . As lots of you have said it is never going to be a really scale model with all its issues i dont think im able to be a true scale builder either so as i am enjoying the hobby again onwards and upwards and am having a good go at a reasonable job . more pics of the progress 20160209_163856_zpsrxdefdcq.jpg20160209_163922_zpskyu17bmh.jpg20160208_233106-1_zpshjlwwjjb.jpg20160208_233106-2_zpsraxyhlyk.jpg20160210_223228_zpsz315zsfq.jpg20160210_223257_zpsmywgtgo7.jpg

I remember those wing tips well, and can see that you're certainly not giving in to them. One thing I did like about the kit is that it has the teardrop shaped bulges above the wheel wells, which were present on many post war Spitfires.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

cheers biggles . i done a bit more tonight and gave it a cheeky coat of primer to show up more cracks . still not feeling the love yet . will crack on though keep telling myself its all good practice . and its always good to learn . will see what can be done over the weekend after my flower delivering duties for my daughter who runs a florist shop . I am florist gump on sunday taking out the flowers to nice ladys whos hubbys want to earn brownie points so as they can buy more kits

• Like 1

Done some more work on spit .. ive never done this pre shading stuff before looks like a right mess . any way pushed on and now have it in a gloss coat ready for some decals . havnt gone wild on this one more of a practice on new stuff like the shading ect ... and also air brushing . what paint does anyone out there prefer or recom20160213_135304_zpsabsriklp.jpg20160213_135312_zps39zbopls.jpg20160213_145028_zpshwvupiop.jpg20160217_213308_zpsylpgrqif.jpg20160217_212725_zpsqogrfbtc.jpgmend . am using tamiya and humbrol acrylic at the moment .. cheers

• Like 1

Great stuff.

I had this kit in the stash for ages but never built it.

IIRC are the wings a bit fat full stop, not just the trailing edges?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

James

Great stuff.

I had this kit in the stash for ages but never built it.

IIRC are the wings a bit fat full stop, not just the trailing edges?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

James

Yes m8 the wings are a little industrial . also rather thick at the trailing edge . lots to pick at with the fitting of the parts to . but is a good kit to practice on . not done any plastic kits for a very long time so its all new to me again . i do a lot of flying models . cheers Andy

• Like 1

You've made a nice job of that, knowing the kit's shortcomings. One thing strikes me and that is the angle of the spinner, it looks a little ' nose down ' or is it not fixed properly yet?

Cheers

John

Hi john thanks for your kind comment . am enjoying the build now . i do like the painting bit best . yes the spinner is fixed and very flush to the nose if there is down thrust i h avent noticed . might be the camera angle . will have a look closely when i go into my man cave tomorrow . sometimes folk spot the obvious and im totally oblivious cheers Andy

more work done on spit . working on decals . the ones on the prop blades are soooooo tiny ive got em on but i have noooo idea if they are the right way up or around , my eyes just aint that good . 20160219_194704%201_zpsoku4s211.jpg20160219_194651-1_zpsd6pdh6xq.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good so far!

The wings are the kits fault as previously stated, but you wrestled them better than I did for sure! :-D

they were a challenge m8 lol cheers

ohhhh this kit has given me some problems .. now avin mither with the final mat coat .. and some decal issues .. . much gnashing of teeth and head scratching .. why is it some stuff goes well and the bang the rest goes to crud lol .. and its the bit everyone will see .. never mind .. keep smiling ...all good practice