USAF Vehicles

bar side

Back in the yearly 80s I used to go along to the airshows at Mildenhall & Bentwaters, Once inside the gate there were USAF vehicles ranging from buses to trucks and the ubiquitous pickups. I have a USAF ground crew set in 1/48 and while a landrover will do for the RAF, I am struggling to find a USAF pickup or similar in the same scale. An ideas of the make & model plus any kits that are out there?

By the mid/late 80s, Humvees had become quite common on the bases (I started going to UK airshows around 87 or 88). The pick-ups tended to be Ford or GMC types. Of course, the EOD guys were using M113 APCs at the time as well.

If you're not wedded to an early 80s timeframe, then Tamiya offer a 1/48 Humvee. Alternatively, one of the Hasegawa USAF groundcrew sets offers a van and a tractor (if they're still available).

Cheers,

Centaur

Hmm, was thinking more 79 - 82 ish, so a bit early for Humvees. More Dodge or GMC really. I have the Hasegawa gound crew set A so was really thinking something to transport the crew, tow the GPU etc. That generally seems to have been a crew cab pickup.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Dave, have been looking at 1/43 O gauge stuff as there are not a lot of military 1/48 vehicles to choose from, just the Hasegawa ground crew kits and some Airfix. And a limited amount from Skunkworks and expensive resin kits.

• 3 months later...

I did find these - from a series of James Bond vehicles. Looks nice & seems to go for sub £15 on ebay

212_001.jpg

Bit of green paint & some strips of tape on the corners, could look good

The ones I rode in had five seats in the cab.

Mick

The crew cab was the way I remember them from Alconbury, Mildenhall & the other East Anglian bases in my youth, but I figure there were some standard cabs too. They also do a nice Sherpa van in the range for RAF bases

$_35.JPG

The crew cab was the way I remember them from Alconbury, Mildenhall & the other East Anglian bases in my youth, but I figure there were some standard cabs too. They also do a nice Sherpa van in the range for RAF bases

$_35.JPG

I seem to remember that USAFE in the UK used Sherpas as well.

• Like 1