P-47D 'Bubbletop' 397th FS "The Jabo Angels"

Im ready to start my 1/48 Tamiya P-47D.

The kit comes with a choice of two options, the box art version, and an alternative from the 551st Fighter Training Squadron. However i wanted a little more colour to my kit and some differing nose art !

Having shopped around i settled on the 397th Fighter Squadron of the 368FG, known as 'The Jabo Angels' and ordered the decals.

It will be my first attempt at a metallic finish as well as some interesting masking to be done !

Otherwise it will be pretty much out of the box, although having seen the fantastic build threads ongoing here, i may try a little scratch building in the cockpit.

Along with the obligatory box shot, i also found a couple of pictures online from the 397th.

Updates as they come, just breaking the cellophane to plan my build

1C61EC06-B598-46E2-A94A-9428615B13DD_zps

w-397-p47-d3-v-carbine-510x357_zps2jzrdw

w-397-p47-price-noseart-1-250x167_zpszrd

• Like 1

Welcome aboard and by the looks of it to your first GB was well.

The model you've chosen is a real beauty and a bit of a favorite in this build as well. For me it's one of the nicest model I've built in a long time and she doesn't need any aftermarket stuff either......would have made my life easier if I hadn't used some!!

A nice choice in colour scheme as well. There are plenty of hints and tips in these threads for other members who have done some amazing Natural Metal Finishes. So ask away if you have any questions, I'm sure they'll be more that happy to help you out if needed.

Well good luck with your first GB, I hope it's a pleasant experience and look forward to seeing her completed in the gallery.

Thanks trickyrich

Im off and running .... well cutting and glueing !

Ive separated the cockpit parts and assembled them to enable priming and painting.

Noting some of the other build threads i believe you may actually be able to see behind the instrument panel; so i had ago at adding some detail to the rear. I used fine wire to replicate cabling running from behind the panel. Again can't really take credit as I've followed the example of others

The tamiya cockpit is very well detailed as it is so thats the most ill be adding.

I did decide to place the pilot harness onto the seat, to break the lack of detail there. I made these out of tin foil, folded then cut with a steel rule and knife. I again used thin wire, bent around a tool to create buckles. I've bent them over a paper clip for painting, however the lower harness had to be glued onto the seat.

Photos attached of progress so far ...

29DCCBAB-1A9E-4204-AC2C-6F7D918970ED_zps

02727F52-19BF-4D5B-9AE6-224D9EF48D5B_zps

9B6D6D1B-72A3-4F25-9FEC-0EC911157AA2_zps

My next stage will be prime in black before the main cockpit colour.

Im also in need of zinc chromate colour so a trip to my nearest model shop in order for tomorrow. Im planning on using tamiya XF4 for this

Hints, tips, comments and criticism always welcome

• Like 1

nice start, I like the homemade seat belts, they look good.

You are right about the instrument panel, you can see the back of it through the front screen, not clearly, but you will be able to see the wiring you've added, so good decision there.

Only a small update, I managed to get all the cockpit parts primed in black along with the engine.

Having test fit the engine into its cowling only a small fraction is visible, however what is is quite prominent.

The kit calls for a neutral grey on the gear box and a mixture of black and metals for the engine. i roughly followed this using some washes to get an oily used effect ..

A4FCEC1B-C1F4-490A-AF5C-04A0E48C1070_zps

My aftermarket decals also arrived ...

31B8590C-7C53-4FEF-99A8-0FDC56EA9985_zps

The decals look great and ill probably go for 'Yum Yum'

One thing, the aftermarket painting guide doesn't show any invasion stripes on either fuselage or wings? I understand wing stripes were not kept and upper fuselage stripes went too, but ill have to look online to see if i can find some reference pictures.

The decal sheet shows a D30 so perhaps thats the reason, i believe this kit to be a D25. Ill search the net for some more 397th FS pictures

Edit :-

I found some pictures of P-47 D25's without invasion stripes of any kind from 397hFS on the fighter group page

w-397-humble-estaphan-crew-d3j_zpspprfd3

w-397-p47-d3n-billinger_zpsltpmrmr3.jpg

Edited by Hosbabon
  • Like 2

The last few nights have I've been working on the cockpit. It has been a case of snatching 20 mins here and there doing little bits at a time, but its almost done ....

I initially primed in black from can then went with XF-61 as my base cockpit colour, mainly because its the only near colour i have for use with my airbrush.

80371A5F-9CCD-4947-8C50-278194330338_zps

I then went on adding colours and applying some washes to get to this point ...

07B1DFF3-37EA-46D3-A5C6-37B20652DC49_zps

The photo makes the black appear much lighter than it actually is ( probably due to my modelling light just above ) , but all in all I'm happy so far.

There is a decal for the instrument panel which hopefully should greatly enhance that, if i can get it lined up properly. Failing that ... ill try and apply some white squiggles on the dials before some drops of gloss to fill them.

I may also touch the seat harness some more, but all in i think they turned out ok for tin foil and wire !

As a relative newcomer to posting, it really shows the faults when you review your pictures on screen, bearing in mind the reality is they're fairly small !

• Like 2

very nicely done cockpit and the seat belt looks amazing now it's all painted!

We all have the same problem when posting photos, they are alway magnified with even the smallest detail shown so minor mishaps look like disasters! So don't get too worried about that.

The kit decal works really well, you just need to use setting/softening solution and take your time, check out how it was done on some of the other build.

Small update, I finished the cockpit tub.

The instrument panel decal wasn't too bad although i used 'gallons' of micro sol and sharp blade to get it to conform to the panel moulding. this was then finished with matt and gloss varnish for the glass IP faces.

90FCA540-2C3E-45D6-AB54-C9A6947F1094_zps

All assembled I'm happy the way its all turned out.

C4F87538-3763-45D6-BB23-4E878CB4707A_zps

8E9DCD05-A299-4F52-B160-01F1B8DDFEE8_zps

AC144417-D739-4108-87AB-BF9C46D02A83_zps

Next step is to move onto spraying zinc chromate ( tamiya XF4 ) wherever its needed

• Like 2

Lovely work in the cockpit.....it looks great. It is a superb kit - I'm thoroughly enjoying making mine so far. On mine it will be the first time I've tried a metallic finish too and I'm going to try and do it with good old hairy sticks!

Yes, its certainly very easy to build compared to the previous Italeri Ju-87 !

Im a little daunted at the prospect of the metallic finish and have some AK extreme metal to try !

Im fairly confident given your progress so far PlaStix, yours will look great once done

• Like 1

That cockpit looks amazing, especially the instrument panel, as you mentioned a drop of clear over each instrument and it'll be perfect!

I'm looking forward to see how the metallics go on as I've heard some good stuff about the AK Extreme sfuff!

• Like 1

Small amount of progress this week.

Managed to get the fuselage halves together. Went together really well and I've only used the smallest amount of filler on the underside to hide the joint.

C7129593-4749-4731-BA69-9D168E699454_zps

F6659A83-CEFC-4266-9114-6965344AAF90_zps

B4930BAE-A85E-4758-9C4F-983AA87ADCBF_zps

I also spayed tamiya XF4 throughout undercarriage bays, doors and tail wheel assembly. I gave them a quick umber wash to add some definition.

Some construction next and potentially some testing on the metallic paint finish

Im intending to use AK Xtreme metal through my airbrush, question is do you prime as normal (grey); or prime in black? Also do you still pre-shade when spraying metallics?

I have a feisler storch 'test bed' to experiment on so hopefully ill get that done over the weekend and post results

• Like 2

she looks great, you really have to love the way this model goes together, it's a dream! Wish there were more like this at times!

I had the same trouble with that join on the bottom as well! Give it a test coat to make sure you've got it perfect as it will stand out like doggies with a NMF! I'm lucky as the Neutral Grey and general weather will hide all these minor sins.

keep up the great work.

Allan, Rich, Rob, .... thanks for your comments !

Thinking ahead to the metallic finish i prepped my 'test bed'

A failed first build of a 1:72 Storch ( used CA glue for the clear parts ! ). Ive primed one wing, the other has some black pre-shading. I intend to spray the AK extreme metal to see how it looks. My overall intention is for my jug to portray the worn warbird look. Ive a good idea on my weathering, its just getting the base coat right.

89D0E0A6-169C-4096-8D96-3EA36EE20B6D_zps

Apologies for 'hijacking' your topic, but allow me to share my experiences with AK paint.

Take care with your choice of colours, only 'polished aluminium' and 'chrome' are formulated to produce a 'mirror' or reflective finish and they need to go down over a very smooth gloss black primer. The other 'metal' colours are really quite 'dull', very matt in finish.

Don't bother pre-shading - it wont show after the top colour has been applied. Better to post-shade, if that's the effect you're after.

Don't try and physically mix the colours, lay one on top of another - no problem, but you cannot mix them to lighten or darken the shade.

After my tests and experiments, the only colour which produced the 'smooth' finish of 'bare metal' was chrome, but only after buffing the living daylights out of it, which you're not supposed to do, with cotton wool balls, almost back to the gloss black primer...

001_zpsmqgyvs7l.jpg

...in the flesh, this actually looks very convincing, but it was a lot of effort and all the rubbing has marked the finish.

Sorry if this has upset your plans, but I have to say that I'm rather disappointed with the stuff. I've put my P-47 to one side until I can get hold of Alclad, because I have no confidence in AK to deliver the smooth surface finish I want

Cheers

Craig

that is really interesting to hear Craig, it's always good to here other peoples experience with different paints.

I'd still do some experiments with the AK paints to see what sort of finishes you can get.

Craig,

Thanks very much for your input, and i really appreciate the benefit of your experience.

My original choice was AK's Matte Aluminium which i have. Ill test it over the primer to see how in looks and if not happy i may try a different type of metal. Ill certainly give the pre shading a miss.

Never considered Alclad, the off putting thought being that your need CBRN style ventilation and i work within our study, which is upstairs amongst the bedrooms

Progress creeping along at a steady pace. Fuselage section completed without any difficulties at all, with only very minor sanding along joins.

I did apply the thinest lines of putty to one side of the tail and underside join of the horizontal stabilisers.

9A48006E-DF85-4923-8BB8-AECD0EB74614_zps

3526F29A-6A17-47BA-927C-48FDD195A96A_zps

Next its wing construction which hopefully ill have done by the weekend. All hail the ease of Tamiya ! lol

• Like 1

looks like you got those joins sorted out! They do seem to be the only places on the Tamiya model that need the tiniest amount of filler.

The wing joins are perfect you just need to ensure the trailing edges line up, they can be a little off on some. Do lots of test fitting and adjusting before gluing anything as that little bit of extra time taken will result in a perfect wing/fuselage join. Not often do you get those!

Small update ...

Wings completed and attached to the fuselage

FECCDB07-7644-4106-94BE-14BA1B9F981A_zps

08D0A944-8BC1-4DA7-9943-B550312B7CD4_zps

9635F88A-6D35-4B07-9209-751972333BC3_zps

These photos were taken immediately post glueing. Ive yet to sand them and it goes to show what a great fit this tamiya kit has been so far !

Flaps hopefully this weekend and ill be somewhere near to get some primer down on her.

Im really quite surprised at how big the P-47 is; my last build being a JU-87 for comparison, and only others, a Spitfire and Me-109. Makes me think of the F-15 and this being a real heavyweight in its day

• Like 2

Construction is now complete. Canopies masked off and ready for primer. I used tamiya tape for curves on the main canopy, for the first, time, and was very impressed with it and the ease of use.

38F5C803-6671-4CF6-B294-B2152910173E_zps

658CBB96-CA0A-476B-832C-DFF80F8A0891_zps

The build really has been very straightforward and trouble free. My intention is to use tamiya grey primer from a can and have a look at the overall finish of the build

• Like 1