This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
GazB

1-72 Bandai BTL-A4 'Y-Wing'

Hey. Thought I'd share some pics of my current project, the Bandai 1/72 BTL-A4 Y-Wing Starfighter :)

This is my first kit and build in close to four years, and the first I've ever tried to weather up/varnish etc, so any feedback would be welcome :D

Not yet complete, of course. The cockpit section isn't fully seated because it'll be easier to weather the back panel with it off, heh.

y_wing_1_by_moab23-d9qvm6t.jpg

y_wing_2_by_moab23-d9qvmnj.jpg

y_wing_3_by_moab23-d9qvn01.jpg

y_wing_4_by_moab23-d9qvna1.jpg

y_wing_5_by_moab23-d9qvnls.jpg

y_wing_6_by_moab23-d9qvnt9.jpg

Lovely. Welcome back to the Plastic Madness!

That is one beautifully beat up Y-Wing!

Thanks very much!

Gonna get a lot more beat up before I'm done if it's to resemble the movie ones :D

Looks like the engines are lit? Very nice weathering. I love em sooty!

Heh, just painted :D

Tried to go for that reddish look they have in the movie :)

Thanks, btw! It's going to get even dirtier ;)

Update.

I've been a bit focused on my Abrams recently, but I finally set to work completing my Y-Wing. Applied the Pledge, did the decals (lost one to the keyboard of all places >.<), another coat of pledge, Mig wash (didn't highlight the fuselage panel lines as much as hoped) followed by a few light coats of Vallejo matt varnish. Now it just needs the Mig pigments to complete it :)

ywing_by_moab23-d9tk1lb.jpg?1

Gaz.

Nice! Looking good Gaz

Thanks! :D

Just wish the camera picked up a bit more of the grime. Looks way dirtier to the naked eye :P

Yeah thats looking nicely beat up! :goodjob:

Thanks, Bob! Got even more beat up by the time I was finished with it! :D

I think the model is excellent. I like your choice of colour and the weathering you've applied. I'm glad the Mig panel line wash wasn't heavier because I think it looks pretty good as it is. That said, panel line washes are very much a personal thing and you have to be happy with it yourself first and foremost.

When I first looked at your build I found that the stand distracted me from the good quality of the model itself. It may have been because the stand was a similar colour to the body of the spacecraft, or because it was weathered in a similar manner. I thought I should relay my experience to you as the model is excellent but the distraction caused by the stand diminished my overall appreciation of the build to begin with until I made a proper effort to examine the model on its own.

I think the model is excellent. I like your choice of colour and the weathering you've applied. I'm glad the Mig panel line wash wasn't heavier because I think it looks pretty good as it is. That said, panel line washes are very much a personal thing and you have to be happy with it yourself first and foremost.

When I first looked at your build I found that the stand distracted me from the good quality of the model itself. It may have been because the stand was a similar colour to the body of the spacecraft, or because it was weathered in a similar manner. I thought I should relay my experience to you as the model is excellent but the distraction caused by the stand diminished my overall appreciation of the build to begin with until I made a proper effort to examine the model on its own.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it :)