1-72 Bandai BTL-A4 'Y-Wing'

Hey. Thought I'd share some pics of my current project, the Bandai 1/72 BTL-A4 Y-Wing Starfighter :)

This is my first kit and build in close to four years, and the first I've ever tried to weather up/varnish etc, so any feedback would be welcome :D

Not yet complete, of course. The cockpit section isn't fully seated because it'll be easier to weather the back panel with it off, heh.

y_wing_1_by_moab23-d9qvm6t.jpg

y_wing_2_by_moab23-d9qvmnj.jpg

y_wing_3_by_moab23-d9qvn01.jpg

y_wing_4_by_moab23-d9qvna1.jpg

y_wing_5_by_moab23-d9qvnls.jpg

y_wing_6_by_moab23-d9qvnt9.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

I've been a bit focused on my Abrams recently, but I finally set to work completing my Y-Wing. Applied the Pledge, did the decals (lost one to the keyboard of all places >.<), another coat of pledge, Mig wash (didn't highlight the fuselage panel lines as much as hoped) followed by a few light coats of Vallejo matt varnish. Now it just needs the Mig pigments to complete it :)

ywing_by_moab23-d9tk1lb.jpg?1

Gaz.

• Like 2

I think the model is excellent. I like your choice of colour and the weathering you've applied. I'm glad the Mig panel line wash wasn't heavier because I think it looks pretty good as it is. That said, panel line washes are very much a personal thing and you have to be happy with it yourself first and foremost.

When I first looked at your build I found that the stand distracted me from the good quality of the model itself. It may have been because the stand was a similar colour to the body of the spacecraft, or because it was weathered in a similar manner. I thought I should relay my experience to you as the model is excellent but the distraction caused by the stand diminished my overall appreciation of the build to begin with until I made a proper effort to examine the model on its own.

• Like 1

I think the model is excellent. I like your choice of colour and the weathering you've applied. I'm glad the Mig panel line wash wasn't heavier because I think it looks pretty good as it is. That said, panel line washes are very much a personal thing and you have to be happy with it yourself first and foremost.

When I first looked at your build I found that the stand distracted me from the good quality of the model itself. It may have been because the stand was a similar colour to the body of the spacecraft, or because it was weathered in a similar manner. I thought I should relay my experience to you as the model is excellent but the distraction caused by the stand diminished my overall appreciation of the build to begin with until I made a proper effort to examine the model on its own.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it :)

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Just over 4 years later I decided to revisit this model and give it a repaint. A remaster of sorts, since that's an in thing these days :P

Applied some of the techniques I've learned, and this was almost entirely airbrushed. Originally it was sprayed with cans. Given that Tamiya rattle can colours aren't always in pot form, I had to improvise a bit for the colours. Luckily I had a MiG Ammo USN aircraft colour set that included a light grey perfect for the forward section. The blue tone was easy enough to mix up, and Tamiya yellow was spot on for the appropriate parts. The rest was shot over with Medium Grey. Give it a wash, though had to be careful. I swapped the base for that of the unused X-wing one, and was going to link the three together when the enamel wash ate into the connectors and caused them to snap. Whole thing nearly went on the floor 😬

Anywho without further ado, here's the finished article. Nifty thing about the Bandai kits is being able to more or less take them apart again to ease the repaint.

ywingrepaint_by_moab23_ddv01vv-pre.jpg?t

ywingrepaint2_by_moab23_ddv01yf-pre.jpg?

ywingrepaint3_by_moab23_ddv020g-pre.jpg?

Gaz 

• Like 8