A Question for H&S 2in1 Owners

nheather

Okay you have the flexibility of two needle/nozzle sizes, probably 0.2mm and 0.4mm.

That great, but how often do you find yourself swapping the needle/nozzles over in reality.

Do you do it often?

Or do you mostly stick to one size and if so which one?

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

Just bought one a month ago. I really thought I'd need the 0.4mm but I'm finding the 0.2 ok for 72 aircraft, 48th aircraft and 35th armour. I'd probably only use the 0.4mm for single colour 24th stuff, cars, trucks etc

I also thought I'd need the bigger paint cup (which the 2in1 comes with) but I find it gets in the way of my trigger finger ... and I don't think I need the larger size anyway.

Neil

• Like 1

I've now got 3 airbrushes and just keep my Iwata with a large cup and needle, the H&S has the better small needle and cup for fine lines and mottling. My third has a very large cup for priming and large areas.

Tim

The only reason I now stick mainly to the .02 needle and small cup is that I now have another airbrush just for Primer, if you are doing large areas the large cup is indispensable..

Nigel,

I originally bought in 2012 an Ultra 2 in 1 with a 0.4 and 0.2 needle and nozzle set. I used the 0.2 for detail and general work on 1/72 and 1/35 models, and I used the 0.4 for 1/24 cars and base coats on 1/35 tanks. I found I would generally have the 0.2 in as my standard setup and would then change to the 0.4 for painting the cars/tanks, I'd change over about two or three times a month depending on how many kits I'd be making.

I then upgraded in 2014 to an Evolution CR plus 2 in 1 with a 0.15 and 0.4 set. The 0.15 needle allows me to have finer control and tighter spray patterns on 1/72 at all pressures, mainly at lower pressures with thinner paints it works superbly with properly thinned acrylics and exceptionally well with thinned xtracolour enamels and similar high quality enamel paints. It also has double Teflon washers which help prevent any paint/cleaner getting where it shouldn't.

I would recommend a 2 in 1 for the flexibility it offers even if you end up using one needle set 90% of the time, there are occasions where the 0.4 comes in very handy for wide coverage base colours.

Rich

PS: Like Stuck mentions above, I also now use the Ultra 2in1 with the 0.4 needle set for primer application only now.

Edited by Rich G
  • Like 1

So money no object, would it be better just to have two airbrushes, one around 0.2mm and the other 0.4/0.5mm ?

I guess the bigger doesn't have to be such a precision machine. So for example, using Iwata (other brands are available)

0.5mm - a Revolution CR or an Eclipse HP-CS High Flow

0.2mm - an HP C Plus

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

So money no object, would it be better just to have two airbrushes, one around 0.2mm and the other 0.4/0.5mm ?

Yeah, I'd go with that, in fact that's my plan. If funds permit I'll get an Ultra (with 0.2mm tip) to go with my Ultra 2in1. That'll give me an Ultra 0.4 for priming, clear coats etc and an Ultra 0.2 for general work.

It'll also give me 1 large and 2 small colour cups. And I'll have another 0.2mm assembly if I damage the original :mental:

Actually I'd like to add a third airbrush for NMF ... but hey, we can all dream, right? :)

Neil

I guess the bigger doesn't have to be such a precision machine. So for example, using Iwata (other brands are available)

0.2mm - an HP C Plus

Cheers,

Nigel

If money is no object and you're thinking of purchasing two, then yes I'd recommend one with a larger needle set and one with a smaller needle set to make things easier, especially when it comes to cleaning up. Also the air brush with the larger needle set can be a cheaper type if it's role is to simply be one of clear/primer coats.

Without getting into an Iwata vs H&S debate, I find that it's easier to get hold of replacement/new parts for H&S living in the UK, and they are generally a little cheaper than their Iwata counterparts, although Iwata do make some spectacularly nice airbrushes.

Either way, I hope this has been helpful for your decision on what to get.

Rich

• Like 1

If money is no object and you're thinking of purchasing two, then yes I'd recommend one with a larger needle set and one with a smaller needle set to make things easier, especially when it comes to cleaning up. Also the air brush with the larger needle set can be a cheaper type if it's role is to simply be one of clear/primer coats.

Without getting into an Iwata vs H&S debate, I find that it's easier to get hold of replacement/new parts for H&S living in the UK, and they are generally a little cheaper than their Iwata counterparts, although Iwata do make some spectacularly nice airbrushes.

Either way, I hope this has been helpful for your decision on what to get.

Rich

Hear what you are saying about the larger one doesn't need the precision or the bells and whistles. Which is why I said that for Iwata I could go for

0.2mm - an HP B Plus

My only concern is whether the HP-B is so precision that it doesn't get used that much and most of my work ends up being done with the Revolution CR. And therefore, whether a single HP-C Plus would be better.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather
  • Like 1

Okay you have the flexibility of two needle/nozzle sizes, probably 0.2mm and 0.4mm.

That great, but how often do you find yourself swapping the needle/nozzles over in reality.

Do you do it often?

Or do you mostly stick to one size and if so which one?

Cheers,

Nigel

I changed needle/nozzle on my H&S just once: went from the 0.2 to the 0.4 and never looked back. The quick-fix handle is a good addition for this set up.

For fine work I use a Badger Krome.