Two Corsairs from Fündekals in 1/72

I always like to model a couple of 1/72 kits with my 1/48 build to show colours and markings variations, so two more won't make too much off a difference - This will be Number 12 and 13 I m building for various GBs and all should be finished in April / May :mental:

The Tamiya F4U-1A is Corsair Mk.II JT427, flown by Major Ronald Hay, Royal Marines, Commander of the 47th Naval Fighter Wing, HMS Victorious October 1944.

F4U-FAA-1.jpg

F4U-FAA-2.jpg

Together with a F4U-1D also from Tamiya in the markings of VMF-512 from the USMC operated from USS Gilbert Islands, Okinawa area July-August 1945.

F4U-USN-1.jpg

22%20entire%202.jpg

Cheers, Peter

• Like 6

It's nice to see someone got there decal info right, I'm doing JT410 and for some reason EagleCals think this Corsair was a Mk.IV!

As a rivet counter I know something like that would annoy you! ;)

And nice choice of scheme too.....will be stealing all your tricks and tips! :D

It's nice to see someone got there decal info right, I'm doing JT410 and for some reason EagleCals think this Corsair was a Mk.IV!

The Fündekal information booklets (PDF) are indeed great resources with full of useful information and they are available on their website.

As a rivet counter I know something like that would annoy you! ;)

An experience like that would have given me sleepless nights!

And nice choice of scheme too.....will be stealing all your tricks and tips! :D

You are expecting a lot from someone who hasn't finished a 1/72 model for the last 34 years :confused:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

i think that's the first time i've seen block tread tyres on a Corsair! i usually see those on Hellcats.

-d-

Good to know. Thanks David to point this out as my knowledge on Corsairs is limited. There are many more interesting pictures of other aircraft from VMF-512 here and most of them do have diamond tread tires.

Also looking forward to this. It looks like a good decal sheet, is it also available in 1/48?

Cheers

John

Yes, Fündekals also have the set in 1/48 scale.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk

Good to know. Thanks David to point this out as my knowledge on Corsairs is limited. There are many more interesting pictures of other aircraft from VMF-512 here and most of them do have diamond tread tires.

Yes, Fündekals also have the set in 1/48 scale.

Cheers, Peter

FWIW, i posted pictures of my completed Ultracast tyres as a response to a question from Joss on his thread. If you wanna see what both styles of tyre look like after being painted, there you will find your answer!

-d-

Unfortunately not. Well, its only a tire and a diamond pattern will do too.

And no, I haven't forgotten about this build, but with another 11 models on the bench, progress is a bit slow. Here is the kit for the FAA build.

F4U-FAA-3.jpg

And here for the USMC.

F4U-USN-2.jpg

And I did manage to prime all the parts which will be painted prior assembly.

F4U-72-1.jpg

Until next time.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

As I was unable to work on my builds for most of March due to illness, I think I will be unable to finish these models in the time-frame of this GB as I am not the fastest builder, but I will continue to post my progress here and when finished post some pictures in the RFI section.

Cheers, Peter

• 1 month later...

Well, it didn't happen. I had all intention to build these two kits, but with just some primer on in preparation for the internal colours, they are back in the boxes for a future build as I like to finish my models from the Made in UK and P-47 GBs first. And then there is the temptation of some upcoming GBs which are hard to resist...

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1