Italeri 1/48 RAF Chinook HC.1

Hi everyone

I would like to put my build forward to the helicopter group build, an Italeri 1/48 Chinook HC.1

I'll be adding some photo etched to enhance the cockpit, but everything else will be OOB.

This is my first helicopter for best part of 8 years, possibly more which is quite surprising with the amount of them in my stash.

Wish me luck

DSC_3032_zpsdtzgds1s.jpg

DSC_3033_zpsgzywjo5p.jpg

DSC_3034_zps45eq1r94.jpg

• Like 7

So, we've made a start, firstly the instrument panel, which I'm really annoyed with, as eduard suggest to cut a big chuck off the italeri part to fit their part (the anti glare shield, which then doesn't fit!! This is the best I could get it, it'll have to do.

DSC_3042_zpsgg0dyfw1.jpg

On the other parts, I've painted the interior walls a lightish shade of gray and weathered it with a little tamiya smoke to give it that used look.

DSC_3044_zpshsbaikht.jpg

I'm currently working on the cockpit seats and the remaining interior, more photos will follow today.

• Like 3

Nice start. Just to let you know the whole of the cockpit should be black, so the small piece with padding in your above picture should be this colour.

That is what I thought, i checked out some references, but could not find an exact RAF chinnook HC.1 interior while looking at that area.

I did however find some chinook interior with that area gray, so I went with that

So, I've done a fair bit of work on the cockpit, I've made an error regarding the colour of the rear wall of the cockpit, but i'm too late to alter that, so going to stick with what I have. Controls all sorted and seat with harnesses. The seats are a nightmare to get together, very off breakdown of parts and a very small area to attach the seat cushions to the framing.

Next is all the seating in the cargo or all the paratroopers to sit, although none will be included in the finished kit.

DSC_3041_zpssuenu6rd.jpg

DSC_3045_zpspyzur4oo.jpg

DSC_3046_zpszhf5dasq.jpg

DSC_3047_zpscdig7y7u.jpg

I did say, I work fast. Aiming to finish by 9th March, so a timed build too.

• Like 5

That is what I thought, i checked out some references, but could not find an exact RAF chinnook HC.1 interior while looking at that area.

I did however find some chinook interior with that area gray, so I went with that

Only mentioned it I am an ex Chinook Mk1 and 2 engineer.

• Like 1

Only mentioned it I am an ex Chinook Mk1 and 2 engineer.

Your a more reliable source that the web, should have come here for the references first, but thanks Jabba

Further work done on the interior.

DSC_3052_zps3ru6kg4d.jpg

DSC_3054_zpsmtozkiyk.jpg

DSC_3053_zpswwig57sb.jpg

My main option now is whether to close the rear ramp up or leave it open, I'm just unsure about masking the large open area for painting.

• Like 3

Very tidy looking work.

My main option now is whether to close the rear ramp up or leave it open, I'm just unsure about masking the large open area for painting.

You definitely should leave it open, it would be a shame to hide that lovely interior. I'm sure it should be possible with tape around the aperture and a big block of foam.

Further work done on the interior.

DSC_3052_zps3ru6kg4d.jpg

DSC_3054_zpsmtozkiyk.jpg

DSC_3053_zpswwig57sb.jpg

Spent many an hour sat on those seats with aching cheeks!! Great stuff.

Spent many an hour sat on those seats with aching cheeks!! Great stuff.

Spent many an hour replacing them. Sometimes it went well, and then on other occasions an ice pick was needed to line up the pin holes in the rail at the back of the seat, and/or the fire axe was required to pull the legs into positon.

• Like 1

Hi peeps

More done overnight and today.

I've got the fuselage closed up, which was a mission, the rear ramp attached along with some other smaller fuselage parts attached.

She looks good, i'm happy with what I have here, windows all masked. I've gone against the instructions for the bubble windows as I've seen some other builds and photos which suggest the bubbles window are located differently.

DSC_3059_zpsbym6pxvq.jpg

DSC_3060_zpscejcicba.jpg

DSC_3062_zpsuov0vyli.jpg

DSC_3063_zps0gnlepfj.jpg

I've still got some areas to sand down and then filling, there is plenty of filler required.

• Like 8