McLaren F1 GTR an update - finally! - 17/02

specky

Hi Guys,

due to the sudden, but hopefully only temporary, collapse of enthusiasm and motivation for 'flying things with wings', time for something a little different.....

001_zpswfmvvu3f.jpg

.....not the most comprehensive kit you will ever see....

002_zps70mnkgfh.jpg

003_zpsqtdcyeir.jpg

....but 'a change is as good as a rest' - as they say!

Cheers for now

Craig

Edited by specky
  • Like 3

Nice choice of subject Craig :coolio: Hopefully the simplicity of this kit will give you a good cure for the dip in enthusiasm.

You're right Col, this is a rather simplified 'kerb-side' kit.

However, what you do get in the box has a pleasing level of 'finesse', but, due to the brittle plastic, requires very careful removal from the sprues - all I can say is 'thank God for Tamiya extra thin' to make good the odd crack and split!

Cheers

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Well, I'm way overdue to update this project, but that's what happens when you put 4 builds on my bench simultaneously - they all slow to a crawl!

The kit is actually even worse than I thought, which is a worry, since I have 2 more in the stash! Although Fujimi have, in my opinion, done a decent job with the body, the rest is rather pants, compromised by the fact that its based on their earlier 'road' car kit. This 'racer' kit has the road brakes, exhaust system and 'ride height' plus totally incorrect front suspension - God knows what they were looking at when they were tooling that!

After market sets have been released over the years, but it seems the only one currently available is from Studio 27. It doesn't include any correction parts, so despite being marked GTR, its really only suitable for a 'road' car build.

Due to the lack of AM support and with the clock ticking, this will be 'out of the box' and I'll concentrate on the external finish to draw the eye away from the errors and simplifications - but keep that to yourself, its our secret! :winkgrin:

So, under tray, carbon fibre in reality, but since the rest of the kit is a bit rubbish, I'm reluctant to spend pots of money, so 'shades of grey' will do....

001_zpsn4pj5cxs.jpg

....incorrect brakes assembled and painted.....

002_zps5ovrm4fy.jpg

....'dry-fitted' to the under tray with a couple of wheels and the body....

006_zpsczxrolyx.jpg

....and here's the ride height issue, front, about 2mm too high....

005_zps64n3ziya.jpg

...and rear, about 2.5mm too high.....

003_zpsj7q15htx.jpg

....on the race car, the top of the tyres should be level with the top of the wheel arches. Work required on the wishbones - so much for 'out of the box'!

I'm still at the early stages with the interior, seat harness on order

007_zpsxapscupd.jpg

Lots to do, so I'd better keep cracking on

Cheers for now

Craig

• Like 3

Nice work Craig. :goodjob: I'm in the process of building Aoshima's MCLaren F1 GTR Longtail. It sure looks a LOT different from yours! I've been very impressed with the Aoshima kit so far, it's beautiful.

Thread here if you are interested :popcorn:http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234996496-homers-aoshima-mclaren-f1-gtr-pre-season-testinglong-tail/

Edited by Homerlovesbeer

Looking very nice so far (despite the frustrations!).

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

I was already aware that its not the most 'refined' of kits, but since its the only injection moulded, 1/24 'short tail' on the market, you just have to make the best of it!

Despite the irritations, I am enjoying the experience and I'm optimistic of a decent result.

Cheers

Craig

• Like 2

Nice work Craig. :goodjob: I'm in the process of building Aoshima's MCLaren F1 GTR Longtail. It sure looks a LOT different from yours! I've been very impressed with the Aoshima kit so far, it's beautiful.

Thread here if you are interested :popcorn:http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234996496-homers-aoshima-mclaren-f1-gtr-pre-season-testinglong-tail/

Hi Homer,

if you think what you've seen so far looks simplified, wait until I post an image of the one piece engine bay - it will make you smile!

Despite only being a couple of years old (new tool 2014), these are really basic compared to Aoshima, its just a shame that they appear to be the only plastic,1/24 'short tails' available.

I have to admit a preference for the original version, since I was at Le Mans in 95. Unfortunately, I was rather drunk for the whole weekend and have only very vague recollections of the race - but I do remember the wine was very nice!

Referring to your build, the metal paint on the brakes looks stunning - how tough is the finish? I've read that 'buffable' paints can be rather fragile.

Cheers

Craig

P.S. Love the user name! - Can I have it when you quit Britmodeller?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...