1/350 Trumpeter's Prinz Eugen as the USS Prinz Eugen WIP

Bitzer

I’m pretty sure I’m a glutton for punishment, but I have started the USS Prinz Eugen. She will be shown as she was just prior to Operation Crossroads on 1 July, 1946, at Bikini Island, where the atomic bomb test Able was detonated 520 feet (158 m) above the target fleet. It caused less than the expected amount of ship damage because it missed its aim point by 2,130 feet (649 m).
l4crwu.jpg

After much research I found a few modifications to the ship at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, PA. There, the ship received some minor changes and, some of the equipment was stripped off for further evaluation.
Modifications to the ship that will be shown on the build are:
1. The two 203mm (7.992″) main guns from turret Anton were removed for evaluation. They had a range of 15NM and after interviews with the German crew and inspection onboard, it was decided to remove the guns for ashore testing.
1mowRT.jpg
2. One Flakverling L38 quad 20mm AA gun which was shipped to Virginia along with the two 8” guns. I need to do some more investigation to find which one was removed.
Zvb5ce.jpg

3. The fore and aft deck 20mm guns which were sent to Virginia as well.
VVialx.jpg

4. Most of the G7 torpedoes and the forward starboard triple launcher were removed for evaluation.
7n8K85.jpg

5. The two Arado Ar-196 seaplanes and catapult were removed. One was apparently inoperable and sent to the Smithsonian, where it remains boxed up today. The other was test-flown by personnel of Naval Air Station Willow Grove, PA. and the catapult was mounted ashore and used for additional test flights in 1947.
d3TR9p.jpg

6. The forward starboard AA gunnery director dome was removed for study as well as the forward Zeiss rangefinder.
4El8Oc.jpg

7. The GHG sonar was also removed and considered by WW2 standards, very advanced. This sonar was mounted on the USS Flying Fish
(SS-229) for further tests. The experiments gave the US Navy a head start in sonar technology against the Soviets. This unit is not visible.
8. The US Army donated a SCR-584 radar van with its wheels removed. This was lashed onto the platform of the removed forward rangefinder with two steel cables. The Army wanted to see how their gear held up to an atomic explosion.
Sje11F.jpg
The Prinz Eugen as she lays now at Kwajalein.
EywLbZ.jpg
So after a longwinded explanation. I hope to recreate a plausible scene.
I purchased several general German PE sets and Pontos wood deck to dress the ship up a bit.
GDteyY.jpg
I started with the base and cut out the outline of the ship.
LMcetj.jpg
I then added poster board to the sides and used my usual medium acrylic gel and paper, followed by another layer of gel dabbed with a brush to create the small waves.
zxOfVZ.jpg
I sanded the gel after it was dry and then painted the surface to check how the waves looked. I may or may not keep this color and I will be adding a little more gel to add to the waves.
lDRJsG.jpg

This build will take me a while as I have a few other things going on.
  • Like 6

Very interesting project to do, good work on finding out the changes prior to setting off on her final voyage.

Should be an interesting build to follow :popcorn:

I've thought before that it was a poor end to such a handsome and powerful cruiser, shame she couldn't have been incorporated into the Navy for testing or some other purpose or sold to an foreign allied navy, then preserved, but that's just idle wishfulnes on my part.

• Like 1

Airfix Magazine (August 1981) had an article on converting the Airfix Prinz Eugen to USS Prinz Eugen which may be of help,

According to the article, in addition to the guns you mention being removed, 2 x 4.1 gun mountings were removed from the Port side (positions 2 and 3) and possibly one from the Starboard side (amidships).

You can download a PDF scan of the article I did here.

Dave

Likewise, interesting project. All I knew of the fate of USS Prinz Eugene was that she was one of the target ships at Bikini. Relatively unscathed she ended up sunk after Baker which, if memory serves, was the underwater detonation. I never knew they did all these changes but it stands to reason considering what I read about IJN Nagato.

I look forward to following your build.

Yeah, I really wish the US Navy was able to preserve her and make a museum out of her, can you imagine?
Dave thanks, I'll take a look. I can use all the help I can find.

I started to use the Pontos deck for the first time. It went on very well and accurate.

F8hcFu.jpg

M0Gh9L.jpg

I also found some more gems. These drawings show what the Eugen looked like at Bikini. They are missing some stern markings though. Note the missing fore guns, deck guns, Arado and fore starboard AA director dome.

jbzAiL.jpg

f6GdfO.jpg

Missing stern markings.

SBgblz.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Now that I'm finishing with a few other builds including the USS Puffer, I'm going to get back on the Eugen. I'm just about complete with the doors and hatches PE and I can get back the assembly.

Here is where I'm at with the base. I am adding several layers of acrylic varnish to add depth and shine.

rktzOJ.jpg

• Like 1

I am glad this build is under way again, the Prinz Eugen was such a lovely ship and this is a nice twist on the subject.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while, but now that I've completed the Puffer, I returned to the Eugen.

After some work on the bulkheads and 01 deck I attached it to the hull. The PE portholes are a real trial. The rest of the build consists of small assemblies.

TEQPbF.jpgaQN5Ph.jpg

• Like 6

Thom216, on 27 Apr 2016 - 06:16 AM, said:

Very interesting idea. I love it! Was awed to see that wreck photo with her stern still in the air. Would love to go and see that. A tangible piece of the Hunt for Bizmark still within reach of most people.

Don't forget to wear your lead long-johns...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Now that I have most of the backlog off my bench, I'm back to the Eugen. I started working on the FuMo 26 radar and some on the superstructure. I still need a little touch up and straightening of the railings. Moving along now.

18FQpR.jpg

deKU4R.jpg

I0d9RG.jpg

CRbBaQ.jpg

Steve

• Like 5

I starting to move on this now. I set the build in its base, mainly to keep me and the dog from breaking it. I spent some time adding the white line on the bow (not in the picture) and ordered some 1/700 scale numbers a letters to replicate the “IX-300 PRINZ EUGEN” on the port and starboard bow and stern. I ordered 1/700 due to the size of the original lettering on the ship.
I will be adding some small boat launches and then repainting the base. I really don’t care for the color and need to fill the waterline of the Eugen anyway.

rkmqQS.jpg

M8k7M7.jpgJ3Mqn1.jpg

kgusy7.jpg

• Like 4

Added the anchor chains, the sink markers, that white line on the bow, for whatever it does, the small boats and some acrylic varnish as a gap filler to the hull. I will be repainting after it all dries. The small boats will be attached to boat booms.

The camera added a little yellow to to picture.

KGcdk3.jpg

• Like 2

OK guys, I’m starting to get really excited about this one. If I work on it constantly I should be at the rigging stage in about 2 weeks. I will need to scratch the SCR-584 radar trailer strapped to the bridge roof and bow and stern boat booms.

I repainted the base and added the first coat of acrylic varnish. Note the missing 8” gun barrels from the Anton turret. These were removed at the Philadelphia shipyard for further study in Virginia.

Rb3JgT.jpg