Trumpeter (01020) 9A52-2 SMERCH-M

Shermaniac

Mudguards, Wheel Arches & Wheels

All of the chassis based attachments now with all their PE parts added

4374690_orig.jpg

Wheels on! and Whehey they all fit and they all touch the ground

6396730_orig.jpg

An imposing view of the wheeled chassis.

You can also see I fitted the radiator hose

9306895_orig.jpg

:doh: Looks like there's a bit of filing to do on the Radiator section :banghead:

Next Time: It's the Cab Sections

• Like 3

stunning work... how do you do your PE, is it soldered in to shape? that is something I have never ever ever done successfully no matter how many SBS guides i watch/read (possibly cos I only have a crappy gas-powered soldering iron)

• Like 1

stunning work... how do you do your PE, is it soldered in to shape? that is something I have never ever ever done successfully no matter how many SBS guides i watch/read (possibly cos I only have a crappy gas-powered soldering iron)

I use the Trumpeter bending tool and as this PE is quite thick that normally does it but I also have Nailene Nail Glue from ASDA (Cosmetics section dealing with acrylic nails).

I've tried solder but haven't found it that easy as the parts are so small and the soldering iron is like a girder!

I use the Trumpeter bending tool and as this PE is quite thick that normally does it but I also have Nailene Nail Glue from ASDA (Cosmetics section dealing with acrylic nails).

I've tried solder but haven't found it that easy as the parts are so small and the soldering iron is like a girder!

Nail Glue???? interesting.. may have a look at that for my 25pdr....

OH! it's getting good now!

Crew Cab, Bonnet & Mission Cabin

(Picture Heavy)

There are a lot of inter-connecting parts around this Cab, Bonnet & Mission Cabin construction which is why I have done so many pictures here.

This part has taken 3 intensive sessions to ensure that all the assemblies actually fit together properly.

Crew Cab

Now built and clicked onto the front bumper

177082_orig.jpg

Reasonably well detailed Crew Cab in its sub-assembly form to ease painting

Note all the injector pin marks needing to be filled!

(Incidentally, almost all of these will not be seen once this puppy is all closed up)

8267410_orig.jpg

Side of the Crew Cab with an extra part added to support the Bonnet

Without it, the bonnet has no support whatsoever!

(That's an Oooops Trumpeter!)

5301279_orig.jpg

Bonnet

What can I say at this point?
You can't see the engine once we close in the bonnet cover - anywhere!!!

As a result, I have now glued the engine into place on the chassis and will incorporate this into the base paintwork.

Main Bonnet, now firmly fixed to the Radiator array

1076255_orig.jpg

The other side showing the grills and detailed side - some filler was needed

193402_orig.jpg

Mission Cabin

This is the front with the 2 windows - some filler will be used (Guess where?)

3796580_orig.jpg

Rear view and cable outlets to the launcher - note the filler at the edges

7813857_orig.jpg

Interior sub-assemblies for ease of painting and the later fitting of seats

6505902_orig.jpg

All-together Now!

Looks like the front of the MAZ is pretty much completed

3789579_orig.jpg

It is becoming more apparent with each session that this is a Huge kit!

3863633_orig.jpg

The plan view of the front Cab, Bonnet & Mission Cabin against a 6" ruler

616912_orig.jpg

And Finally - the Crew Cab, Bonnet and Mission Cab have not yet been glued on

Much painting is required first

Next Time: Those Rockets are getting closer and closer!

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 3

Very nice, did you have any problems fitting the cab to the bumper, on mine i had a real problem with the two hook arrangement they use, snapped off several times, also the rocket assembly is tricky if you dont get it just right they wont fit. looking good. IM currently about to start the MENG version so we will see how it goes.

• Like 1

Very nice, did you have any problems fitting the cab to the bumper, on mine i had a real problem with the two hook arrangement they use, snapped off several times, also the rocket assembly is tricky if you dont get it just right they wont fit. looking good. IM currently about to start the MENG version so we will see how it goes.

The bumper clips were glued to the cab then left overnight, after that I had no issue with that part. However, when I finally assemble to main parts the cab will be under tension with the bumper and some careful securing will be necessary also, with all the main bits interlinked ill need several pairs of hands.

This will be interesting and probably my most challenging build too date. I have been warned about the rocket pods but I have a solution in mind if the instruction part doesn't work out.

I'm still enjoying it though.

This is really big kit! I think, I'll wait for nice model of it in 1/72, as I did for SCUD-B launcher.

• Like 1

This is really big kit! I think, I'll wait for nice model of it in 1/72, as I did for SCUD-B launcher.

You could always build the Topol from Zvezda , that's in 1/72

Edited by Shermaniac

Rocket Launcher & PAINT!

This is a very detailed kit build and definately warrants this many pictures folks!
There are parts of this kit which are fabulous and then...... there are some which hark back to the early 80's molding styles where parts 'kinda' go together.
I'm not saying that I dislike this kit but - come-on Trumpeter, you know you can do a lot better.

More haste, less speed on the mold manufacture Guys.

Some of the two-part moldings are close to shoddy!
I want a good look in the box before I buy my next one of these - better forewarned IMHO.

Started the Launcher for the 12 missiles and it is TBH a bit clunky in parts and fairly basic stuff - serious fettling needed to sort out the mis-matches

4738277_orig.jpg

PAINT!

Just Vallejo Model Air Matt Black with about 5%-10% Thinner added.

Better to do 2 extra-thin coats on something this big than blast away without thinking

6341703_orig.jpg

Yes, you can still see some grey plastic and now the paint has dried I can see a few bits which I will re-visit tomorrow

6866069_orig.jpg

TBH, I'm not that bothered now about that lovely engine as, once I button up the front of the MAZ, you won't see it.

Next Time: More paint of course & The Launcher Array

• Like 4

A Bit of Rocket Science

Well, there are lots of ejector pin marks in the rocket frames that I have filled.

Not sure though, how many will be seen?

7741134_orig.jpg

Main Launcher frame all secured and working.

A tight fit but that is good and this is where all the fun starts in earnest!

3122259_orig.jpg

I still think that these parts are creud and clunky but, I haven't seen the actual array up close on a real one.

BUT! if you want to see some SMERCH pictures go here

4496013_orig.jpg

Next Time: More Rockets

• Like 3

More Rocket Science

A brief update

The Rocket Pods - This issued was found by Graham Taylor during his build and the solution is mine - Fingers firmly X.
There will be some issues with the installation of these as you will see evident in section 28 of the instructions.

The pods actually screw in and the top section can't actually fit.
Rockets 9-12 cannot be installed if built according to the instructions so, I shall build the main tube and add the ribs but leave the top section off until they are installed into the framework and add afterwards.

....... to continue on

Comprising 14 parts and is a bit fiddly to assemble especially get all 12 bars to go into their fittings at the same time!

1744301_orig.jpg

This framework is quite flimsy and 'could' become deformed if not careful so, I used my Picador Blocks for stability

2211629_orig.jpg

After fitting the forward frame to the main launch assembly I needed to ensure that it too was all square

4792487_orig.jpg

Looking good so far BUT, I haven't added the ribs to the 6 rocket pods yet, 6 more to go.

Some filling of join lines is still needed first

5796676_orig.jpg

The Rocket Pods are a bit tedious, especially trying to get the joins to stay true but, careful application of glue and with an even dose of patience, it works

Next Time: 6 more pods, then the ribs!

• Like 3