Iwata HP Plus C vs B

nheather

If I was going to get one of these it would definitely be the C. The cup on the B is too small for general use.

But this gets me thinking, is there a place for the B. It has a 0.2mm needle vs a 0.3mm but in the real world of modelling is the 0.2mm really capable of that much detail?

I mean, putting money aside, would there ever be a need for both. Or are they so close that there would be little value in having a B as well as a C.

Cheers,

Nigel

Use both quite happily. The smaller nozzle is fine for really fine detail where you do not want to be looking over the larger cup. However the C is used for the majority of the time.

I would not consider interchangeable needle/nozzle sets on an Iwata because the nozzles are too small, fragile and fiddly - removing them is an accident waiting to happen - and then you encounter the other disadvantage, they are expensive.

The major thing that concerns me is cup size (ooh err). The size of the HP-C is needed for sensible painting of largish models 1:48 and 1:35 but I can imagine there are occasions when you are trying to get in close and the HP-C cup gets in the way.

Cheers,

Nigel

As well as the smaller nozzle & paint cup, the HP-B also has a shorter nose that the HP-C - again another detail orientated feature, allowing you to get closer to the subject for fine work.

The HP-B is undoubtedly capable of finer detail work than the HP-C, but your going to trade coverage in for that finer detail. In I had to choose one of the two for scale modelling it would be the HP-C, it offers better coverage & while it can't offer the same detail capability of the HP-B, it's not exactly a million miles away.

• Like 1

As well as the smaller nozzle & paint cup, the HP-B also has a shorter nose that the HP-C - again another detail orientated feature, allowing you to get closer to the subject for fine work.

The HP-B is undoubtedly capable of finer detail work than the HP-C, but your going to trade coverage in for that finer detail. In I had to choose one of the two for scale modelling it would be the HP-C, it offers better coverage & while it can't offer the same detail capability of the HP-B, it's not exactly a million miles away.

Yes that was the point of my question. The C is clearly the best choice for a general modelling airbrush. So my question was whether there was a place for the B. If wouldn't be great as the sole AB unless you were only doing small models. But to have it in addition to a C seems overkill because although capable of finer work it is not that far ahead to justify the extra outlay.

Cheers,

Nigel

Find the .2 useful for mottling and fine panel pre-shading. The .3 is good for general coverage. All 1/72nd scale.

Tim

So do you have both?

That's what occurred to me at first but then not sure because the nozzle size was so similar.

Cheers,

Nigel

Have the HP-C and it's surprising just how fine you can go with this airbrush, the paint cups never been an issue as I find I'm seldom looking directly over the cup when using it due to what we tend to spray on, 3d not dead flat as on paper etc.

I have the hp-bh hi line with 0.2mm nozzle and I find I can spray all acrylics with it so the nozzle size is no problem. The cup size isn't a problem because the spray is so fine you use very little paint. With a large cup you often get tip dry and blockages before you use all the cup and end up wasting paint to clear it. If I use a whole cup I take the opportunity to flush through before refilling.

That said, I still have my first airbrush, the Revolution CR which I use for metallics and varnishes. I also use it with enamels to avoid cross-contamination. I recently adjusted it to a 0.3mm needle just to use a little less paint. It's an excellent first brush - it's built like a tank!

I could use the hp-bh for everything, but I like to have more brushes so that I don't have cleaning issues between water-based acrylics and other paints (and I just like having more tools!).

I have an airbrushing DVD by Geof Illsley and he uses the hp-bh for mottling and main coats; he even sprays oil paints with it! So I wouldn't worry about needle size.

Thanks SuperH,

What type of models do you paint with your BH?

My main interest is 1:35 armour so I wondering whether he BH cup is suitable for most of he work.

Of course a cheaper 0.5mm would be good for laying down primer, base coats and metallics.

But would that mean that I would end up using the cheapie for most of the work, with the expensive BH resigned to infrequent detail work.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks SuperH,

What type of models do you paint with your BH?

My main interest is 1:35 armour so I wondering whether he BH cup is suitable for most of he work.

Of course a cheaper 0.5mm would be good for laying down primer, base coats and metallics.

But would that mean that I would end up using the cheapie for most of the work, with the expensive BH resigned to infrequent detail work.

Cheers,

Nigel

I paint everything: aircraft, tanks, cars, sci-fi, figures, and the BH is the airbrush I use most. I tend to lay down thin coats over a primer, so that the surface gets a natural variation; if your style is more like laying down thick, solid coats then you might want a slightly larger nozzle, but I find that the revolution and BH cover pretty much everything. You can use the revolution for detail work as well, but it requires a lot more control; this is where detail brushes really help - the different needle shape gives you much more leeway when spraying with the needle closed down, yet increase the pressure and move them further back and they give a reasonably wide coverage as well.

Thanks,

Too many choices.?

Too much conflicting information. Much I have read say that a 0.2mm is unwise for acrylics.

I have also seen lots of praise for the Iwata Eclipse CS - they say that the 0.35mm is as small as you need to go with acrylics and the non-threaded, self-centering nozzles are great (and cheap).

What do people think here - if we were talking 0.3/0/35mm which would be the preference HP-C Plus (High Performance) or the HP-CS (Eclipse).

Cheers,

Nigel

The eclipse is a great brush, but won't do fine detail, it's just a general purpose to area brush, you'll probably end up having to buy another brush for detail work.

0.2mm Iwata nozzle isn't the problem, the pigment size is tiny, it's more getting the preparation of the paint right.

In any general forum like this you are going to get conflicting information, especially with a tool like an airbrush.

People are after different things from their brush, large area, fine detail, primer coats, varnishing... There is also a wide variety of brushes, paint types that people use and different ways of preparing them for the brush. As well as a variety off different pressures people spray at.

If you are unsure what to get, rather than spending a couple of hundred pounds buying an expensive brush, go for a good quality beginners brush to learn from. The H&S Ultra 2in1 is a good beginners brush, the nozzles and cups cover the range needed by most modellers. If you get on with it keep it for large areas and buy another brush for detail work. If not sell it on and try something different.

Paul

• Like 1

I have 3 Iwatas. I have the Eclipse CS for primers (I bought the 0.5 set for it too but rarely use that), I have an HP-C+ that I use for 90% of my painting including some mottling and I have a Custom Micron that I use for very fine detail and tight mottling/fine lines. If I was spending the money again I'd probably stick to the first 2 airbrushes as I rarely use the Custom Micron (even though it is an amazing piece of kit). The HP-C+ is a very capable airbrush.

I mostly build 1/72 WW2 Luftwaffe aircraft and mostly use Gunze acrylics.

Duncan B