Aer Turas Canadair CL-44J

kmf

Aer Turas Canadair CL-44J

Welsh Model

Scale : 1/144

Hi All

I started this for the Non Injected Moulded group build last year. It was finished just in time for Telford, so some of you will have seen it there.

The kit is a Welsh Model Vacform kit. I’ve had the kit for years, so it’s about time I built it. The kit is nice and easy to build. I opened the cargo door and the swing tail, install a floor and also built some cargo boxes, replaced the engine exhausts as the kit did not have any exhausts and built some wheel wells. I printed some decals for the cockpit windows.

This is the finished model.

IMG_20160206_134952140_zpsaugyfv3h.jpg

IMG_20160206_134900020_zpsgxw4jmap.jpg

IMG_20160206_135014297_zpsu82x8n3s.jpg

IMG_20160206_134825149_zpshgviofod.jpg

IMG_20160206_134845467_zpsjegvljbz.jpg

IMG_20160206_134918005_zpsbs1abftn.jpg

• Like 23

Very nice work kmf !!

As soon as I saw the first photo load up, I thought "oooh 'eck .... it's crashed!!" Then I realised it was just some skilful modeller making a great job of opening the tail on a normally quite difficult to build vacform kit!!

Very well done, an excellent build and thanks for sharing!! :coolio::Tasty::thumbsup:

Kev :)

Edited by Mr Modeller

Absolutely beautiful and splendid build

How on earth an aircraft has the ability to essentially "break" itself in half like that and still fly is one of life's great mysteries!

Well done

We've had some belters this week. This is brilliant. Don't know where to start,so I won't. Fantastic,well done and thanks very much for showing. Mind blowing!

Thank you for all your nice comments.

Ah, so it was yours. It looked stunning in person.

Larger photo here

22536851287_74acc7b15a_c.jpg

Thank you for posting a better photo. I was using my phone, so that is why my photos are not great.

Wow! I used to fly the CL-44. The tails were always stained by the exhaust just like you have depicted.

Where did you fly the CL-44?

When I was younger I would watch the Aer Turas CL-44 at Dublin airport. I always remembered the staining on the plane. I don't think I ever got to see the tail open, but it must have been strange to see it open. When I was building the model, I didn't know if I should open the tail or not, would it look funny....

• Like 1

Smashing build.

Is "Shergar" in the crate?

poor old Shergar. They'd never put a horse like that in a crate. Aer Turas made big money flying race horses around the world. They were treated first class. I once flew on a horse charter for another airline. Left the flight deck to get sandwiches for the flight crew and me. The loadmaster tried to get me with horse poo missed me completely. I retreated back inside the flight deck with the sandwiches telling him I didn't care because it was the smell of money.

Trouble was the smell made it's way in anyway.

Great job. I often saw the real thing fly past. I lived ten miles from the airport so never really understood why it needed to be so low so far away from landing. Not that I objected.

They didn't climb like modern jets do and if carrying horses they would probably opt for a gentle rate of climb or descent. Here is EI-BRP performing at an airshow in 1986. https://www.flickr.com/photos/24101413@N03/3331098873/sizes/o/

• Like 1

Superb job saw this at Telford and was mighty impressed thanks for sharing.

She was a thing of beauty in the air. I once saw her do a low level 360 over the Coolock area during a approach to 35 and our football game coming to an abrupt stop as we all looked skywards can still hear her whine as she flew overhead

regards

Eamonn

An exceptional job on a vacform! Putting some crates in and swinging the tail was a great idea. And then you topped it off with a beautiful natural metal finish!

Fabulous.

Cheers

John

Smashing build.

Is "Shergar" in the crate?

Shergar is not in the crate, that would be cruel as the crate was too small.
The crate in the front is full of lead. to keep the model from been a tail sitter
Maybe when I build an Aer Turas DC-8 I can find a 1/144 Shergar.

Shergar is not in the crate, that would be cruel as the crate was too small.
The crate in the front is full of lead. to keep the model from been a tail sitter
Maybe when I build an Aer Turas DC-8 I can find a 1/144 Shergar.

If can you get 1:144th tins of Felix. Let me know please .I need some, my moggie is putting on weight !

• Like 1