1/144 - Lockheed C-141A & B Starlifter by Roden - C-141B released - C-141A in processing

Homebee

• 4 weeks later...

In box review Lockheed C-141B Starlifter kit - ref.325 - in your favourite forum:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F235009197-lockheed-c-141b-starlifter-1144-roden%2F

German in-box review:

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Roden/Lockheed_C-141B_Starlifter/Rod_C-141B_Starlifter.html

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

New dedicated Caracal decals - ref. CD144002 - C-141 Starlifter

Source: http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd144002.html

Caracal Models CD144002 - C-141 Starlifter

This very comprehensive 1/144 scale sheet provides coverage for the versatile C-141 transport aircraft which served USAF with distinction. Designed for the new Roden C-141B kit, our decals also provide you with markings for a few C-141A variants in case you would like to try to convert your kit to the Vietnam War era version.

The options on this decal sheet are:

• C-141B 67-0121, 164 AW, Memphis ANGB
  • C-141B 66-0140, 446 AW, McChord AFB
  • C-141B 66-0132, 445 AW, Wright-Patterson AFB AFB
  • C-141B 66-0177, 445 AW, Wright-Patterson AFB ("Hanoi Taxi" in overall gray scheme)
  • C-141B 64-0610 "City of Charleston II", 437 MAW, Charleston AFB
  • C-141B 66-0177, 445 AW, Wright-Patterson AFB ("Hanoi Taxi" in latest, retro color scheme)
  • C-141B 64-0625, 459 AW, Andrews AFB ("Euro 1" camouflage scheme)
  • C-141A 66-0146, 437 MAW
  • C-141 "714", Gerard F. Kuiper Airborne Observatory - NASA
  • C-141A 66-0162, 438 MAW
  • C-141A 66-0177, 63 MAW ("Hanoi Taxi" in original, Vietnam War era scheme)

cd144002profiles.jpg

Full stencilling and national insignia to build any one of the options are included. All markings are designed to fit the Roden 1/144 C-141B Starlifter kit. This sheet was professionally screen printed by Cartograf in Italy.

cd144002tn.jpg cd144002btn.jpg

V.P.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
18 hours ago, The Good Sergeant said:
FWIW, Roden has announced kit #331 on their web site. It’s indicated as a C-141B but the thumbnail photo appears to my eye to show a C-141A. (Kit #325 is the C-141B.) Fingers crossed....

Steven Brown

It looks like a C-141B to me, just in the high-viz markings.

• 2 months later...
On 17/11/2017 at 8:16 AM, snapper_city said:

The picture on Lucky model is a C-141B. 

It's still a million times cheaper than their C-5.

That wouldn't be difficult!! Wonder how the C-5 is faring? Don't normally do 1/144 but, as there's no C-141 in a proper scale...........!😕😁 

2 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

That wouldn't be difficult!! Wonder how the C-5 is faring? Don't normally do 1/144 but, as there's no C-141 in a proper scale...........!😕😁 

I saw a few at Telford. Best price was £75. Still £25 past my limit though. 

I also saw a few Starlifters also around £22. Much better. I should have picked one up as I really fancy doing another one in the Euro 1 scheme. Probably more so then the C-141A.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snapper_city said:

I saw a few at Telford. Best price was £75. Still £25 past my limit though. 

I also saw a few Starlifters also around £22. Much better. I should have picked one up as I really fancy doing another one in the Euro 1 scheme. Probably more so then the C-141A.

£22 is excellent value I reckon - even if it is in tiddler scale!:winkgrin:. I've no time or tolerance for those boring overall grey schemes though!! Euro 1 for me if I ever buy this kit

Allan

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

£22 is excellent value I reckon - even if it is in tiddler scale!:winkgrin:. I've no time or tolerance for those boring overall grey schemes though!! Euro 1 for me if I ever buy this kit

Allan

I'm currently doing mine in the grey and white scheme. 

Edited by snapper_city

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Dedicated upgrade sets by Metallic Details

- ref. MD14423

Source: http://metdetails.com/catalog/metalic-details/aircraft/1144/md14423-detailing-set-aircraft-model-c-141

1-147.jpg

- ref. MDR14414 - Engines

http://metdetails.com/catalog/metalic-details/aircraft/1144/mdr14414-c-141-engines

1-148.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've got one of these kits now.  It looks like a nice kit, although the plastic is softer than I'd like ;-(.  I've got the Retrowings Resin cockpit which looks nice.

My only real criticism I've found so far is that I'm going to end up doing a lot of sanding and filling on the fuselage as the rear central spine and from wing fairings don't actually line up from one side to the other.  This is a pretty major bo-bo on Roden's part and it isn't a one off as I have heard of others having the similar problems.  It's a pretty basic error that could have been easily avoided.  Unfortunately I can't really leave it as is, as the asymmetry would be pretty obvious on the final kit.

My plan is to cut the fuselage down to make a model of the Kuiper Airborne Observatory (KAO) which was based on the shorter C-141A.  However, this all now on hold as Caracal have just sold out of their decal set which includes those for the KAO and no prospect of a reprint in 2020.  Anyone got a spare set?

8 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Where is the "A"? 

The carrying capacity of the original C-141 turned out to max on volume before it maxed out on mass.  Lockheed recalled all bar 4 of these original planes and added fuselage sections both infront of and aft of the wings to increase the volume capacity of the planes.  They also took the opportunity to add a mid-air refuelling capability.  These were designated as the C-141B.  The original design was then retrospectively designated the C-141A.

To modify the kit, I will be aiming to  perform surgery on the kit that is the exact opposite what Lockheed did to convert the As to Bs. 

41 minutes ago, Michael Morris said:

The original design was then retrospectively designated the C-141A.

The original design was designated C-141A from the beginning. Designating the first production model as the "A" goes back to the B-50 Superfortress built by Boeing.

7 hours ago, SAT69 said:

The original design was designated C-141A from the beginning. Designating the first production model as the "A" goes back to the B-50 Superfortress built by Boeing.

Thanks for the correction.  Every day a school day.