1/32 - Cessna L-19/O-1 Bird Dog by Roden - released - Aerocraft metallic undercarriage

Homebee

• 7 months later...

New dedicated AOA decals announced (http://www.aoadecals.com/)

- ref. 32-019 - Dogs of War (1) - US Army/USAF O-1 Bird Dogs in the Vietnam War

Source: http://www.aoadecals.com/32019/home.htm

Part one of the 1/32 Bird Dog coverage, this decal sheet includes thirteen marking options for various O-1 A/G/E Bird Dogs from the Vietnam War:

• Seven US Army schemes - 21st Black Aces (two schemes, only one shown in cover image), 199th Swamp Fox, 203rd Hawkeyes, 220th Catkillers, and 221st Shotguns Reconnaissance Aviation/Airplane Companies (RAC)

• Six US Air Force (USAF) schemes

(both blue and black USAF markings provided)

Data/stencil set provided for one aircraft with variations of certain markings.

COVER-32019.jpg32019.jpg  32019b.jpg

- ref. 32-020 - Dogs of War (2) - US Army/USMC/VNAF O-1 Bird Dogs in the Vietnam War

Source: http://www.aoadecals.com/32020/home.htm

Part two of the 1/32 Bird Dog coverage, this decal sheet includes thirteen marking options for various O-1 A/G/E Bird Dogs from the Vietnam War:

• Three US Army schemes - 199th Swamp Fox (two schemes) and 219th Headhunters Reconnaissance Aviation/Airplane Companies (RAC)

• Two US Marine Corps schemes - VMO-6

(two similar schemes, only one shown in cover image)

• Eight South Vietnam Air Force (VNAF) options - 110th and 112th Observation Squadrons

Data/stencil set provided for one aircraft with variations of certain markings.

COVER-32020.jpg32020.jpg

V.P.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just got around to opening my kit…..ordered direct from Poland for considerably less than the UK RRP. For whatever reason, Roden have packaged it in an oversize box...…..I had imagined a box similar to that for the 1:48 scale T-28 or Gladiator. As a result the sprues are 'lost' in the bottom of the box but that is the only negative point IMHO. As you can see from the photos above, the kit is presented on seven grey and one clear sprues and comes complete with a separately packaged set of three metal rods of two different gauges to reproduce the aerial fit and a nice set of decals with markings for two Sixties era Bird Dogs - An overall Green US Army example with Dayglo patches and a USAF Forward Air Controller aircraft in overall Light Grey scheme based in Vietnam (as featured on the box lid). The only other concern I had with the packaging was that the clear sprue was not packaged separately and had been left to rattle around with the other sprues in one bag. Fortunately my sample had not suffered from any scratching to the clear surfaces which make up a significant part of this observation platform. As we have come to expect from Roden kits, the parts are all crisply moulded with practically no flash. 

As one could imagine, the vast majority of parts are dedicated to reproducing a very nice, highly detailed, 28-part Continental O-47-0-11 engine and the cockpit/cabin interior. I'm sure the super detailers will go to town on this kit but the 30+ part interior seems to be only lacking some seat belts to complete a busy looking cabin and the pilots access door looks as if it can be posed open if one wishes. The instrument panel is a bit of a mystery, however. It is nicely rendered but the instruments are totally blank leading me to think that Roden may have omitted to include instrument decals since these appear to be the most obvious way to 'dress' the instrument panel as portrayed.

I feel sure Eduard will come to our rescue or one could use decals from one of the aftermarket companies that specialize in these items, such as Airscale. The other minor issue that will need to be dealt with in regard to the interior is the presence of several ejector pin marks or burrs. There are four in total but these are the only ones that will need to be treated - the kit is noticeably free of this affliction elsewhere, particularly on any of the flying control surfaces. The surface detail is excellent throughout with the 'corrugated' look of the flying control surfaces looking just right - The panel lines and other airframe details are very finely rendered and some early dry fitting suggests there will be few issues with putting this kit together. I particularly like the way the tailplane mounted aerials are sandwiched between three-part fairings and the fact that the ailerons and flaps are separately moulded and should be able to be posed differently if so desired. Another nice feature is the separately moulded engine access covers which also look as if they can be posed open, perhaps with the addition of some scratch built arms. The kit includes eight wing-mounted target marker rockets on their pylons and separate parts for the different aerial fits featured on the two decal marking options.

The aforementioned decal sheet is reasonable although on closer inspection, my example has suffered from some smudging, particularly on the black lettering/numbering and the large yellow 'U.S. Army' titles appear to be rather opaque - I suspect the Dark Green will bleed through these on the finished model. There is an impressive amount of stenciling included too, although some of it is barely readable. Personally I will wait for the appearance of some aftermarket sheets, such as those previously announced by AOA Decals since they feature one or two schemes that are more in keeping with my own interests - VNAF for example.   

This kit has certainly lived up to my expectations in terms of presentation and quality - I am sure it will build up in to a nice replica and I now very much look forward to the appearance of the Cessna O-2 Skymaster in the same scale. I have some reservations about the full UK RRP though - I do feel it is quite a lot for a kit of this size, particularly when you compare it with, say, the new Revell ME 262 B-1but it does not, of course, enjoy the same universal appeal and the kit will no doubt have been produced in far fewer numbers so I guess it is all relative. Barring this consideration, I would highly recommend this kit to anyone interested in Post-War light military aircraft, the Korean/Vietnam War era or smaller air forces.    

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

New boxing "Asia Service" - ref. 627

Released http://modelsua.com/Cessna-L-19-O-1-Bird-Dog-Asian-service-1-32-Roden-627.html

Sources: 

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/cessna-l19o-1-bird-dog-asia-627-roden-48230177020-aircraft-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=153235

https://nowosci.plastikowe.pl/aktualnosci/nowosci-roden-marzec-2018/

New from Roden http://www.roden.eu/
Cessna L-19/O-1 Bird Dog – American light communications plane and artillery spotter developed in the late 1940s. Unlike previous designs in this class it had an all-metal design, and it could also be used for basic or operational training. The type was delivered to the US Air Force and also for the US Marine Corps. The plane took part in two major military conflicts of the second half of the Twentieth Century - the Korean and Vietnam Wars. Apart from its primary tasks it was often also used as a forward air controller, directing more powerful attack planes to the enemy's positions. In total more than 3,500 machines of this type were built, their military service lasted until 1974, and after replacement by more modern types the Bird Dog was used for civil air patrol and was sold on to private owners.

29512892_1623466721101660_83930932493190

29683888_1623466677768331_32360080720908

V.P.
Edited by Homebee

• 1 year later...