Aerotech De Hevilland 88 Comet 1:32

Red five

I'm going to write a build log for a 1:32 DH88 Comet. I'm going to build it as close to Grosvenor house (GACSS) as it appeared in 1934 when it won the MacRobertson air race. I thought this was going to be an easy build since I have visited the Shuttleworth collection many times and photographed this wonderful aircraft many times. There is one big problem. The restored Comet is very different to what it was in 1934. To make things more complicated GACSS started off red and then went through several different colour schemes until it entered RAF service In speed silver. It then turned up after WW2 with a new coat of red paint before finding it's way to the Shuttleworth Collection. Armed with a stack of period photographs (which I might add contradict various published plans) I'm ready to make a start. So I'm going for the original red finish with the white ( yes it was definately white) comet stripe fading out rather than being solid as indicated in photographs taken in 1934 ( not to be confused with later photographs) Every one of the three original Comets had a different cockpit and few photographs exists of that of GACSS which had additions added on subsequent flights (even a typewriter).

Stick with me, this may take a few months.

More to follow soon..

Andrew.

• Like 2

Thanks Bob. I joined the Comet Racer Group quite a while ago and I agree if you want to know more about these wonderful racing aircraft it's the place to be. It's worth joining the DH Museum and Shuttleworth collection group too.

Andrew

Hello Martin,

I've been talking to the Black Beauty guys a fair bit and if all goes well I'm going up there before the end of the month and i agree they are a lovely bunch of people. So far this weekend we have figured out that the markings on the wings mark out degrees ( and were painted on all three Comets at Mildenhall prior to the race) and are stencilled as numbers, the oil tanks under the wing have a sunken oil filler caps which makes every model wrong and that the fuel caps are not painted different colous as stated in various plans but are in fact the same colour as the body.

Researching a model is as good as actually making it

Andrew

• Like 1

Hi Andrew,

I think the markings on the wings are to help the pilot or navigator to work out the drift of the aircraft. Some Naval aircraft had these as navigation aids when flying over the sea with fairly basic navigation aids. By knowing the angle that the aircraft was crabbing due to side winds, they could plot a corrected compass heading. At least, that's how I think it works!

Dave B)

Hi Andrew,

A really interesting build. Looking forward to following the progress of this one. The research alone is fascinating. You've made an excellent start.

Watching with great interest.

Dave