Soon find out when you sand the paint off it, (gently of course) ;)

It does look pretty well sorted now though

The Argosy seems determined to keep you at the limit dunnit

You're a braver man than me

See you Sunday?

Huddersfield? Yes mate... I was only planning on going for the AM but plans have changed and I'm there all day now! :) thanks too ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Little update, booms now on etc... not done much on this recently... the whole 'sand-fill-sand-repeat' etc get's boring at times and going onto something else helps, so this has just been waiting it's turn :)

26060662334_4ec6f105aa_c.jpg

26062131443_fa9255149c_c.jpg

• Like 7

Mach 2 and Argosy. There's two things that aren't often found in the same sentence. Like the Caribou, I imagine that trips were counted on a calendar rather than a watch.

Anyone care to whif a mach 2 capable Argosy?

Looking good Radleigh. One of the best-looking transport types, IMO.

• Like 1

Any time I see an Argosy I can't help thinking it's something that escaped from a Gerry Anderson series into real life! Loving that 'compact and bijou' workspace you've got for yourself there - yet another modeller with a sense of orgaization that puts my own to shame.

God luck with the rest of this build Radleigh,

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Great work so far, very impressive!

I'd like to add one of these to the stash but being rare and pricey are major obstacles ??

I remember Argosy flying circuits over North Lincolnshire radar calibrating RAF Binbrook with it's distinctive whistling drone!

It was one of these aircraft which indirectly gave me my only moment of sporting prowess while at school?

Being hopeless at all sports, so when the games master decided 'cricket' was the order of the day I'd quickly be out for a duck and then take up the fielding position of 'Long on' way behind the bowlers end and out of sight of the games teachers eye!! I'd stare skyward following the Lightnings of 5 & 11sqn recovering to Binbrook and this day a calibrating Argosy, with my eyes upward I heard the bowler cry 'Catch It!' instinctively I cupped my hands in front of me to which a very battered and bruised red cricket ball fell snuggly into my grasp dismissing the schools top scoring batsman! Owzat!

Still hopeless at sports but I've had a life long interest in cricket since and the mention of and Argosy always brings to mind the memory of that sunny school day afternoon in the early 70's!!

. . . Kes (feeling nostalgic and of to eBay to search for a Mach2 Argosy!)

Edited by Kes
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...
On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 11:27 PM, rholland said:

Nice work so far Radleigh. What are the kit decals like?

Richard in NZ

Won't be using them as I have the civvie boxing and now doing the RAF version as I was lucky enough to have the RAF rear end still in my box.

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 2:53 PM, Teeradej said:

Looking forward to see the beast shaped.

Thanks, back on it now... had some time off but will explain below!

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 11:23 PM, Kes said:

Great work so far, very impressive!

I'd like to add one of these to the stash but being rare and pricey are major obstacles ??

I remember Argosy flying circuits over North Lincolnshire radar calibrating RAF Binbrook with it's distinctive whistling drone!

It was one of these aircraft which indirectly gave me my only moment of sporting prowess while at school?

Being hopeless at all sports, so when the games master decided 'cricket' was the order of the day I'd quickly be out for a duck and then take up the fielding position of 'Long on' way behind the bowlers end and out of sight of the games teachers eye!! I'd stare skyward following the Lightnings of 5 & 11sqn recovering to Binbrook and this day a calibrating Argosy, with my eyes upward I heard the bowler cry 'Catch It!' instinctively I cupped my hands in front of me to which a very battered and bruised red cricket ball fell snuggly into my grasp dismissing the schools top scoring batsman! Owzat!

Still hopeless at sports but I've had a life long interest in cricket since and the mention of and Argosy always brings to mind the memory of that sunny school day afternoon in the early 70's!!

. . . Kes (feeling nostalgic and of to eBay to search for a Mach2 Argosy!)

Hope you got a kit Kes?? I *think* I saw an Argosy fly, but tbh I can't remember... I love the sound of their engines!

Right, on with my kit. I've had some downtime over the last few months, mainly because I hit a brick wall with the wheels ( @Colin @ Freightdog Models:D ?? ) and props.. so I put it down to carry on with other kits, but when I went up to the Newark Model show, I saw a guys Mach 2 Argosy on the Bridlington table and it looked great! (see pics below), so that really gave me the kick I needed and finally got back onto it this week amongst other kits I'm finishing for Telford in a few weeks.

Not done too much more since the last update.. more fettling than anything, but the nose radome is on with a few blobs of glue as I'm going to check later with fresh eyes that it's straight, then glue it on properly and make good. Cockpit glazing is now on, but I've had to flush it by filling the whole thing as mine had a nasty ridge when I fitted it (too much to sand, I'd have lost too much shape), and I had no option other than to do it this way. So my plan now is to cut each pane of glass out and replace with clear plastic. That way it should look a lot better. Leading edge wing tips fitted and rear tail planes..

Sadly I can't remember the builders name as my memory is shocking, but if you're reading this please step up! Good to meet you too.

29613894653_e4b85e137e_o.jpg

30208710216_afc620f49e_o.jpg

and my hulk, that I have finally decided to do as a T.2

30130539230_a57efdcd00_o.jpg

30391387096_b848b118b8_o.jpg

29795777303_cec9176e70_o.jpg

29795781383_5d6200e449_o.jpg

Edited by Radleigh
  • Like 13

21 hours ago, Radleigh said:

Won't be using them as I have the civvie boxing and now doing the RAF version as I was lucky enough to have the RAF rear end still in my box.

Thanks, back on it now... had some time off but will explain below!

Hope you got a kit Kes?? I *think* I saw an Argosy fly, but tbh I can't remember... I love the sound of their engines!

Right, on with my kit. I've had some downtime over the last few months, mainly because I hit a brick wall with the wheels ( @Colin @ Freightdog Models:D ?? ) and props.. so I put it down to carry on with other kits, but when I went up to the Newark Model show, I saw a guys Mach 2 Argosy on the Bridlington table and it looked great! (see pics below), so that really gave me the kick I needed and finally got back onto it this week amongst other kits I'm finishing for Telford in a few weeks.

Not done too much more since the last update.. more fettling than anything, but the nose radome is on with a few blobs of glue as I'm going to check later with fresh eyes that it's straight, then glue it on properly and make good. Cockpit glazing is now on, but I've had to flush it by filling the whole thing as mine had a nasty ridge when I fitted it (too much to sand, I'd have lost too much shape), and I had no option other than to do it this way. So my plan now is to cut each pane of glass out and replace with clear plastic. That way it should look a lot better. Leading edge wing tips fitted and rear tail planes..

Sadly I can't remember the builders name as my memory is shocking, but if you're reading this please step up! Good to meet you too.

29613894653_e4b85e137e_o.jpg

30208710216_afc620f49e_o.jpg

and my hulk, that I have finally decided to do as a T.2

30130539230_a57efdcd00_o.jpg

30391387096_b848b118b8_o.jpg

29795777303_cec9176e70_o.jpg

29795781383_5d6200e449_o.jpg

Radome looks a bit big for the RAF version, Is this the civvie fit?

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
Typo
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Britman said:

T2? OTRAG daglo orange perhaps.? 9Q-COA  I think it was. When it came to Manston for maintenance it looked like it had just left the paint shop, it was like new!

I have thought about it many times, but sticking to a RAF one now, maybe in the future. :)

16 hours ago, Kes said:

That's coming along nicely, you don't seem to be too perturbed by the thing?

. . . Kes (who has yet to acquire an Argosy?)

Not really no, I just get on with it regardless of how bad it is, it just takes me a lot longer than anyone else!

14 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Interesting about your boxing Radleigh. I have the BEA boxing and will have to check to see if I have the Military backend in mine :D

Seems you are beating it into shape

I got lucky I think, Didier was cutting off Mil parts in the Civvie boxing, and visa versa at Telford but maybe he missed a few!

11 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Yours looks fine Radleigh. In fact you have just about persuaded me that I need one of these kits!

Martian

You should! Thanks too!

47 minutes ago, kev67 said:

Looking good Radleigh, glad you are back on track, Mach 2 kits as you know are quite a challenge, the Argosy you photographed at Newark looks very nice, hopefully it might be at Telford

Thanks Kev, this won't be a patch on something you do, but hoping for a fairly good finish.. Looking a bit rough around the edges at the moment. I'll have a look for the Argosy, and let you know if I see it, I'm pretty sure it was Bridlington IPMS?

37 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Radome looks a bit big for the RAF version, Is this the civvie fit?

Selwyn

No not at all, mine is going to be a T.2, only two converted.

Armstrong_Whitworth_AW-660_Argosy_T2%2C_

• Like 9

On 20/10/2016 at 12:44, kev67 said:

Looking good Radleigh, glad you are back on track, Mach 2 kits as you know are quite a challenge, the Argosy you photographed at Newark looks very nice, hopefully it might be at Telford

Hi Kev, my Argosy will be at Telford on our Bridlington and Wolds stand. Mr MACH 2 Didier wants to see it too............

• Like 4

3 hours ago, adey m said:

Hi Kev, my Argosy will be at Telford on our Bridlington and Wolds stand. Mr MACH 2 Didier wants to see it too............

I will make sure I come over and find the table, gutted mine won't be done for Telford. I wonder if Didier is going to release anything at Telford... I know he wants to/will do more RAF subject of the same era! :)

10 hours ago, kev67 said:

Will certainly look out for it, is the Seamaster  yours as well

Thanks for your kind comments chaps. The Seamaster belongs to one of our other members, a retired Army Colonel Tony Wilson. He has built a number of MACH 2 kits and all his models are hand painted .......he also knows a lot of swear words................That outing at Newark will probably be the last time it ever gets seen in public again......I was honoured that he displayed it next to the Argosy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Radleigh said:

I will make sure I come over and find the table, gutted mine won't be done for Telford. I wonder if Didier is going to release anything at Telford... I know he wants to/will do more RAF subject of the same era! :)

Hi Radleigh, it was good to chat to you at Newark. I think you will have one heck of a job on your hands painting that Argosy T2  in the grey, white and blue now it is complete.:o I built and painted mine in sections before finally joining the wings to fuselage and then making good the wing joins,It was the only way I could think to do it. Your photographs of models are probably the best I've ever seen.....the model magazines could do with your services.

Didier has told me that he will be launching another " RAF bird " at Telford. Could it be a Hastings I wonder ?

• Like 1