FAA hellcat....+a little friend

rob85

Ced your not the only one, half way through I thought "what have I done" even my wife questioned the tactic! It's a little bit like the squiggly line trick I suppose.... Loads of random marks to break up the colour?? I should imagine it would work rather effectively on breaking up block colours..... Hope the hol is Good?

Rob

• Like 1

So not to labour on about the finish of the AC when you are all wondering when it will be finished.....but

Here are a few reference shots of the kind of look I am going for. All found publicly online, but if anyone would like them removed I will do just that.

28129731444_d608f9d367_b.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

28462952320_e849652c36_b.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

(I know they are corsairs....)

28747322895_896f353807_z.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

That looks like it's had some use!

Anyway, it's the chalking and what looks like salt water/sun bleaching that's over these ac's that I want to capture, really give a sense what they went through I suppose....

Also check this guy out, he looks like an absolute legend to be quite honest, and if he was about today like this would be bang on trend with the red hair and beard!

28715579276_c9b8fab177_b.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

What a guy! Oh and another fine example of the weathering I would like to achieve just behind him!

So my thoughts to achieve this..... on reflection I think brush strokes are too visible when looking up close, but I do really like the way the panels are picked out and the variation of colour/chalking is in line with the above. What needs to happen is transfers get put on, apply a light wash, then use pastels to weather the panels and almost water mark them and use them to defuse the brush marks. After that the normal weathering will take place and lock the lot in with a matt coat.... well that's the theory, just need to see if I have the skill

Cheers all for sticking with it

Rob

• Like 6

Good idea on the pastels Rob. I've bookmarked Debs' 'sun bleaching technique' used on her Beaufighter that might give you some ideas (scroll down the thread to see the effect she achieved). I know she's airbrushing but the 'lighten the high spots' idea might work with pastels? HTH

• Like 3

Hi Rob

very late to this build but couldn't resist adding my congratulations to everyone elses. That is a damn fine looking Hellcat! I love the weathering technique and might even give it a bash at some point.

Cheers

DC

PS Thought I should warn you; you've built one Eduard Hellcat, it will not be your last. I started with the 1/72 Nightfighter, then the 1/72 FAA Dual combo then the 1/48 FAA Dual combo and now I'm looking to stick a 1/48 Nightfighter in the collection too. They build as good as they look in the box and can be quite addictive. The 1/48 Guadalcanal Cobra Dual Combo, the 1/48 Spitfire Mk VIII Dual Combo, the 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX Royal Edition and the 1/48 Spitfire Mk XVI Dual Combo are all signs of my increasing addiction to Eduard kits!

• Like 2

Cheers for popping along chaps, your comments are really appreciated!

Ced, great link, forgot about this build! Very fine work by Deb!

Blogs on, cheers, I will be using a set of artists watercolour pastels as i have stolen them off my wife 😃!

Dave, I can completely see how they are addictive! Such beautiful kits. I really want to get a tonne of the new spitfires and at least a couple more of these.... Oh and a 110.... But I have to build a few more kits and also try and make more money before that to afford them!

Rob

• Like 3

Hi Rob. I am sorry but I managed to miss this until now. So I have just been catching up. First off - well done with the PE - the cockpit looked great. Secondly I am very interested to see how your paintwork turns out following your experiments. It looks to me like it should capture nicely some of the weathering in the photos. :coolio:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Very cool experiment Rob! I the EDSG turned out perfect.

Didn't see you there cookie!! Cheers I do think it's worked best on the edsg, I don't know weather it's because the slate gray is mixed but the lighter shades brush strokes show up more

Cheers mate

Rob

Very angry.....

Transfers started and pretty much finished..... one side

28302806033_0579116f87_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

They have bedded down ok using boiling water and cotton pads for pressure, little bit of silvering but nothing that a good coat or two of mat shouldn't seal in, might try watered down Pva as that has done the trick before... any way then there's the other side

28632930840_b2aa5b342b_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Oh you want to know where the other 430 is do you!? Where! I'll tell you where!!

28632997260_71e0b1bf7e_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Just there... bloody thing folded when coming off the backing paper, as you can tell the old dip it back in the water trick didn't help.....

Also JLP have annoyed me as well

28632937830_1048f78f2e_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Notice the mistake? My daughter did (she is 6) even my son laughed at it (he's 4)

28632929060_874e641d8a_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

No you didn't you stupid dinosaur, no wonder your extinct.... try 65 million

Daughter *laughing* "daddy look! Look! He lived 65 million years ago..... silly waitrose didn't they know!! "

Now she like dinosaurs and probably most people don't know when t rex was about, but most people didn't put it on a t-shirt. ..

Rob

• Like 7

Glad to see you back at this one Rob and that paint technique looks interesting and effective. Shame about the 430 decal but I say get the fine brush out; bet the number didn't look exactly the same on both sides anyway if they were free-hand applied.

• Like 2

Bad luck with the 430 Rob - I don't have anything to help I'm afraid but you could get hold of a sheet from Hannants, probably?

That paint job looks the part - very smart :)

• Like 1

Cheers Col, that is very much an option and one I am contemplating currently.... Probably will end up doing as I am impatient and would like to get these sorted before the MTO GB!

Ced, thanks I am happy with where the paint is at, just need to finish transfers then I can weather this beast! I won't be buying a new set, my trip to the FAA museum was vetoed due to funds (my money has been gobbled up in the form of ice cream and tiny dinosaur fossils by two tiny ice cream fuelled fossil hunters) however the perchase of a sheet of transfers for the MTO GB has been approved. If I go 'mad' and get another then it will make sneaky perchases much harder this month.... Need to find my tiny brush again, I mean if I can hand paint 'Malta's 1000th' on a spitfire have hard can a big 430 be eh??

Cheers anyway chaps!

Rob

• Like 2

Damn shame about the decal Rob, it is a pain when it happens.

Hope you can sort out (cheaply to) .

As for dinosaurs, our son used to ask us what they were like to live with (cheeky s*d)

She is looking great Rob, how is her little friend?

Simon.

• Like 2

Damn shame about the decal Rob, it is a pain when it happens.

Hope you can sort out (cheaply to) .

As for dinosaurs, our son used to ask us what they were like to live with (cheeky s*d)

She is looking great Rob, how is her little friend?

Simon.

cheers Simon

little friend has been having a bit of a sand in places but needs some paint bless it. I hope to get some work done on it tonight, we were supposed to be having friends round but now he is taking his son sailing now (he works for the RYA so makes sense) so that technically gives me some free time 😃.

Rob

• Like 1

Rob, I'm with Col, get out the fine brush and you should be fine :thumbsup: It all looks very good from a small smartphone screen, can't wait to see your pics on a larger PC screen (later for that)

Ciao

• Like 1

Rob, I'm with Col, get out the fine brush and you should be fine :thumbsup: It all looks very good from a small smartphone screen, can't wait to see your pics on a larger PC screen (later for that)

Ciao

I would stick with the smartphone giemme! Don't want you seeing all my mistakes!

Paint brush it is, unless my wife has a special fine tipped pen I could use and would give me a bit more control.... Hmmmmm

Rob

• Like 2