North Africa MkIId - Finished

Stosh65

Slightly late entry due to forgetting I didn't have anything in the stash and waiting for the employer to dole out the monthly pennies. However a quick trip the big H website last week led to the arrival of this bundle of joy this afternoon.

DSC_0086_zpsvwvoq6st.jpg

I had one of these on the ceiling when I was a kid, always loved it. I had a flight game for the PS3 last year where you could fly one of these in the battle of Britain. One shot tended to be enough. I toyed with the idea of doing a MkV, simply for novelty value but This won out. So, the sprues.

DSC_0088_zps49t6qsvl.jpg

That pic hasn't turned out well. There is detail on the styrene. Looks quite nice actually. Really looking forward to this one.

DSC_0089_zpsbpf7kmyb.jpg

Is this resin I see before me? That'll be a first, never worked with it before. Any thing obvious I should be aware of? Finally, as in the title, this'll be a North African Desert Air Force crate. Always wanted to do one of these.

DSC_0087_zpsl4mlbshc.jpg

This thread is pretty much a place marker until I finish my Tucano for the Made in GB group build but I'm hoping for a good push on that this weekend as I'm off on Monday. See you all soon.

Edited by Stosh65
  • Like 5

another IID, very neat.

Please have a look here, in particular note the youtube link in the first link

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234996745-airfix-flying-tin-opener-and-it-aint-for-baked-beans/#entry2252550

the 164 Sq plane is here

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hurricane/Hawker-Hurricane/pages/Hurricane-MkIId-RAF-164Sqn-FJM-KX413-and-FJG-KX561-Middle-Wallop-June-1943-IWM-NegCH16223.html

FJ-G/KX561 in the background,

Note the unusual reversal of the uppersurface colours, and would make for a different scheme to the JV-Z option.

I don't know if these are actually Mk IV rather than IId though, plane in from FJ-H/KX413 looks to have an armoured radiator.

184 sq also flew IId's, hard to make out what's what, but a few photos here

http://www.184squadron.com/photoarchive.html

plus the ORB, which IIRC have serial numbers.

cheers

T

• Like 2

Didn't know there was a iid in greygreen in this kit, might have to get this, will be watching the build with interest, not build anyone the az/legato hurricanes

There's decals for a grey/green scheme based at middle wallop and a russian bird in greys. I could pop a picture when I retrieve the box from the stash?

Thanks for the links Troy, the video of the cannon is great. Those rounds are huge! As said in the other thread, its amazing to see how low they got. I may well flip the colours, I'm not a stickler for accuracy by any measure but we'll see how I feel when we get to that stage.

There's decals for a grey/green scheme based at middle wallop and a russian bird in greys. I could pop a picture when I retrieve the box from the stash?

Thanks for the links Troy, the video of the cannon is great. Those rounds are huge! As said in the other thread, its amazing to see how low they got. I may well flip the colours, I'm not a stickler for accuracy by any measure but we'll see how I feel when we get to that stage.

the Soviet one is most likely in RAF day fighter scheme, I only know of photos of two Soviet IId's, both should be in the links, KX171 at the NII VVS (Soviet test centre)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963507-all-the-hurricane-questions-you-want-to-ask-here/?p=1767486

and the crashed one with 21 on the tail, which looks to have had the nose panels replaced.

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1500.0

cheers

T

Its the one with 21 on the tail that's in the box for this kit. The box hadn't actually been tidied away (shocking) so got a quick pic of the three schemes you can do OOB.

69eaf5a7-54cb-4047-af69-d3eb45b35481_zps

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

And we're off! With the Tucano safely into the gallery of the Made In Britain GB and a shiny new laptop courtesy of my insurers following that unfortunate burglary incident I can catch up on the (admittedly not huge) progress on this. The cockpit is the obvious starting point. Sadly, I managed to shatter the lovely resin seat so had to put in a seat from an old Hawker Typhoon kit which needed cut down to fit.

DSC_0102_zpsh2lsnnnv.jpg

Started work on the paint for the pit and fitted the gear wells and upper parts to the wings last night. Dry fitted the fuselage but didn't take a picture, its sits in nicely.

DSC_0103_zpsi40umrfq.jpg

Finished off painting the 'pit and inside the fuselage. Main build hopefully to get done over the weekend.

DSC_0104_zpskeoq1zl3.jpg

• Like 2

So got the main build done on this today. Fuselage buttoned up well enough, there's a little work to do but it doesn't really show in the pictures.

DSC_0105_zpsn8stw7c9.jpg

Joined the whole thing to the wings and added the tailplanes. A very nice fit when viewed from above.

DSC_0106_zpsqyni9mit.jpg

However, from any angle the underside is going to require a good amount of sanding, filling and adjustment.

DSC_0107_zpswdrawh1j.jpg

DSC_0108_zpsag0bi4zu.jpg

You can see from the wheel bay as well that there's a fair bit of flash to deal with as well. That's after a preliminary clean. Still, thus far I've enjoyed something a little more challenging. Next update when she's looking a little more respectable.

• Like 3

So a couple of nights filling, sanding and shaping has led us onto the finish of the main build. Undercarriage I always prefer to add after painting, its just less fiddly. The air filter and the guns are on so its begining to look more like it should. Just needs primed and then I can make a start to painting. However, the weather's been rubbish and I'm only allowed to spray outdoors so no idea when I'll get that done.

DSC_0110_zps9suptpgh.jpg

DSC_0111_zpsvxny4euo.jpg

The instructions are vague on the positioning of everything and there's no such thing as location pins so the cannon maybe in slightly the wrong place. Whilst this is an older kit the fit has been surprisingly good for the most part, especially around the wing roots but it has its moments. The rear of the lower wing to fuselage join was horrendous as you can see. Still enjoying the challenge though. :banghead:

• Like 4

Gappy. It's probably slightly off straight but not so you notice with the naked eye. Once primed and painted it'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, slow progress is the order of the day. Finally picked up the paints I needed last night so the first coat of azure blue is on the underside. New brushes I stole from the wife after an abortive painting hobby a couple of years back. There giving a lovely finish thus far but you can't really see the colour as yet.

DSC_0116_zpssfha0ese.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Been working away on the paint this week but updates are proving hard to squeeze in as my wife is working away on her masters in education so needs the laptop all the time and my tablet won't let me post pictures. However, she's enjoying a well deserved long lie at the mo so here goes.

Underside painting completed. I love the colour of the azure blue, its just beautiful. Its Humbrol enamel and I'm aware there's some debate over shades, not interested.

DSC_0117_zpsnd7aza5b.jpg

The topsides have had a couple of coats. The stone will need at least one more and the brown some touching up which I hope to get dome today.

DSC_0121_zpsii9mp2ou.jpg

We're off to Copenhagen for a few days on Monday and I've got a pre-season game for the football team on Sunday so probably be next weekend for my next update.

• Like 2

Ah, I remember when my wife got her Masters in Education -- we were just married and she ended up going to school 400 miles away for it, and since we only had enough money for one apartment, she lived in one in St. Paul and I had to live with my in-laws for a year. Between that and having to take the bus to visit her...never again.

We've been lucky in that it's all funded but it is part time distance learning so it been three years thus far. But she's got a couple of assignments due end of next month so it's busy right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished off painting the camo in the last couple of days. I know its not perfect but its good enough for me. I'm going to finish off my Jag for the starter set GB before going any further with this so I'll go a bit quiet again.

DSC_0123_zpsysiz6acj.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

So the Jag is done and back to pushing on with this. Glossed and got the decals on. They were good, went on nicely and they've generally settled well. Slight problem with the code letters on one side but that's mostly down to me putting them in the wrong place and then having to move them when they were half settled.

DSC_0135_zpszlh6oxhr.jpg

Started the undercarriage last night. Like the rest of the kit the fit is not the best but the detail is pretty good.

DSC_0136_zpslitaci1b.jpg

Stencils were provided on the decal sheet but nowhere is it listed where to put them in the instructions or paint guide. So using my mk1 Hurri as a rough guide I've pretty much improvised them. I'm happy with what I've used.

DSC_0137_zpsrnr2b8is.jpg

Another gloss coat needed to seal everything and then its weathering time.

• Like 3