Hurricane tin wing.....again

rob85

So, I am in danger of repeating myself.....well I say that! I have repeated my self three times in the BofB GB, but here I go again.

Airfix kit, which is a little cracker, but completely limited by only coming as a rag wing

It's this version

24524119360_3ddb6a79a7_z.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

However I will not be doing it OOB, and this is the repeating bit, I will be adding a set of rescribed older airfix hurricane wings!

And the subject is one I have always wanted to do!

23968971164_29840cbfc4.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

I love aircraft from malta and have always wanted to model this hurricane due to its link to Adrian Warburton, Google him! It's worth it! And what wakes this AC even better.... its blue!

Work will start end of next week....

Rob

• Like 5

Lol, pm me your requests and I can get what I have sent to you.... as long as you can sent the correct fin flash for the above!!

Yeah another, I had four of these kits in the stash and three old airfix kits made up so it's rude not to..... and it is such a hansom scheme

Rob

• Like 1

Great to see a link to Warby! He was a true legend. I hope to build the Maryland he flew in Malta and got his ace status in someday.

Have fun with it!

• Like 1

Hiya Rob,

I`ve got to warn you that this scheme was exceedingly unlikely and during my research for a book about Malta one of the ground crew who helped convert this Hurri from a fighter to a PR aircraft said that it was painted very dark blue,.....he even gave me the mixture of the paint from his diary, which was basically bosun blue with black added. A photo was taken part way through the conversion showing camouflage on the fin/rudder and years later this was `assumed' by some to be part way through a repaint into a light blue colour as the poor reproduction of the photo didn`t show camouflage on the rest of the aircraft and it was known to have been painted `blue' ,......but,......the rest of the aircraft was bathed in strong sunlight while the fin/rudder were in shade and a better copy does show traces of the camouflage. If the blue had been added then it would have been much much darker and the camouflage would not be apparent.

Sorry about this but I thought that you`d like to know,....feel free to paint it however you like though, it is your model,

Cheers

Tony

Edit; If it helps here is my model of this Hurricane based on the info that I received, additional info read in various books and also the photo showing it part way through conversion. It had a Rotol propeller fitted to give it a better climb rate, the radio mast was cut short and there were lots of interior changes with cameras in the radio/battery bay

EDIT- THE VOKES FILTER PROBABLY WASN`T FITTED TO THE REAL AIRCRAFT!;

DSCF8549_zpsbde951a5.jpg

The blue on mine may even be too light and this one below is probably more like it, maybe even darker?;

hpr2.jpg

I hope this helps?

Warby did fly V7101 and a Mk.II which was similarly converted but the main pilot of V7101 was George Burges who more famous as a member of the Hal Far Fighter Flight flying Sea Gladiator`s and later Hurricane`s. He was a trained General Recce pilot so when enough fighter pilots reached Malta he began flying recce sorties instead. While flying the Hurricane at high altitude over Sicily and Italy he suffered greatly from the cold and the bends. Warburton arrived in Malta as a spare pilot/navigator with the Maryland Flight from 22 Sqn which became 431 Flight and later 69 Sqn so he did most of his early sorties in Marylands, some in Hurricane`s and at one point he flew blue painted Beaugighter Mk.Ic`s converted to recce work, two of which he brought over following a short detachment with 2 PRU in Egypt. .

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

Blimey Tony, cracking info! I was aware of warby's time with 2 pru in Egypt and the ummm acquiring of a PR beau, and his time flying the Maryland (what an amazing tale his flight over the Italian fleet with cloud cover was!! ), and of George swapping to the PR hurri after defending the island in a gladiator. You have come along and filled in the gaps!

Foolish of me not to ask yourself first really, so we are looking for a blue more akin to the dark spitfires on Malta rather than a pru blue, or in fact like the pictures of the mki beaufighters of 2 pru? And it has a tropical filter..... Hmmmm.... The different prop is not a problem but the filter could case some issues! Actually and the roundles are the pru type. Lots to look into really

Stosh65, I am a big fan of warby and would love to do some of his aircraft for the MTO GB.... But then I also want to model every allied aircraft from that area of the conflict as they all look ace!

Cheers chaps it's appreciated!

Rob

Fearless and unorthodox (he seldom completed a Form 700 authorising flights),[citation needed]"Warby" participated in an increasing number of daring sorties. On 30 October 1940, Warburton and his two crewmen shot down an Italian Z.506B seaplane. Three days later, they nearly fell victim to an attack by four Italian aircraft. Warburton was hit by a spent bullet which caused no serious injury, but did render him unconscious. Sergeant Frank sweetheart took control and managed to keep the aircraft flying (for which he received the Distinguished Flying Medal) until Warburton had recovered sufficiently.

He was soon back in the air and, on 10 November, 431 Flight spotted a major concentration of Italian battleships and cruisers in Taranto, Admiral Cunningham then deciding on an audacious night attack by Fleet Air Arm Swordfish torpedo bombers. Warburton flew a reconnaissance mission on 11 November prior to the attack. Circling the harbour several times, when the cameras failed, Warburton flew so low, his observer was able to read off the names of the battleships as they flew past. Guided by this intelligence, the Fleet Air Arm launched its devastating attack that night. Warburton was promoted to flying officer on 3 December.[

copied this for info.... and because of Sargent frank....

I think the flight where he was injured is a little under stated, I read an account of it in a book and it went something like this. After three fly pasts of the fleet at low level due to cloud cover his aircraft was chased by Italian aircraft, it was damaged and his engine set on fire, he dropped the AC out of the air to put out the fire and gain speed to evade the enemy. He received a ricochet to the shoulder which is where Mr sweetheart stepped in. The aircraft was landed in malta and Adrian's commanding office ran up to make sure he was only, only to be greeted by Adrian shouting and holding the bullet shouting 'I've got it'....from his own shoulder. ... nutter. Or a least that's what I read.... I am sure there are inaccuracies in there so correct away

Which ever way you cut it he was a legend.... as were all the people who served and lived on malta at that time.

Rob

• Like 1

Hiya Rob,

I forgot to say that my model is probably wrong to have a tropical filter! It was lightened of everything possible and if it did have a Vokes filter fitted when it was delivered as a fighter (many didn`t!) then I would say that this was removed too in order to increase speed and range too! My model was already fitted with a filter before I modified it and this really needs to be removed! Send me a PM with your e mail address and I`ll send you a copy of the page from my book dealing with this Hurricane.

The colour was called Bosun Blue, sometimes called Royal Blue and was `invented' for PRU use by 2 PRU in Egypt. My second model is a 1/72nd Airfix kit built as an Indian based 2 PRU aircraft and this unit edges the wing roundels in yellow to make them look less likeJapanesemarkings!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

That is a very kind offer Tony thank you, pm sent!

That is good news about the volkes not being needed! Transfers should be fine to come by.

This is one of the things I love about Malta aircraft, so much info comes out during a build.... One of the best things about britmodeller as well...

Also Tony, I didn't think that was a North Africa PR hurricane. very nicely modelled and weathered, I found a picture of it on google after your post and the fading you have achieved on the wing is a great representation of the original

Rob

Edited by rob85

*in the following post there are scenes that some viewer my find disturbing.

So I have had a lot of help from Tony which is very kind and helpful of him. And after seeing his info it is clear the first scheme I posted was wrong so I will be going with an all over dark blue scheme without the trop filter.

Here is work done so far

Cockpit pit

24833797206_6dfb0867a9_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

24564589090_30e6acedf5_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

24766587601_d20040463b_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

All the pictures I have as my phone died during this. Still have some work to do on the lower bit of the CP but will finish that one the wings are sorted

So the dona

24564570320_1df38ffa05_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Poor chap was chopped up

24233223783_fc5ef7d4b1_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

And so far have one sanded back

24766592961_2a2b6af87e_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

And then the rag wings sorted and UC in place....

24860172985_832b5abfde_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Nothing like excessive clapping, but I have had issue with this area being off before.

More photos and chopping of wings to come

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

Nothing really the poor chap, in a way I suppose, it's fitting that it be him... He was made by airfix and because airfix decided not to release a tin wing in the new tool he got chopped up... They made me do it!! THEY MADE ME DO IT I TELL YOU !!!!!!!!

Rob (the old tool airfix serial killer)

• Like 2

Hi all hopefully get some work done on this tonight but will have to see how it pans out...

I do have some new tools however, and they were free! Well I say that I had an accident at work which resulted in a torn nose and two stitches.... The nurse let me keep all the tools as they were going to be binned!

Rob

• Like 2

I do have some new tools however, and they were free! Well I say that I had an accident at work which resulted in a torn nose and two stitches.... The nurse let me keep all the tools as they were going to be binned!

Dear lord!

Also for cookie, worry not! If there is a company that is well know for looking after its staff it's mine.... I walked to a&e got stitched (with out it being fully numbed as it actually hurt a fair bit, but he was having trouble with it. I had the choice of being stabbed with a needle till my nose was numb or..... well being stabbed with a needle until my nose was numb.... but with thread attached so went with the latter.) Then walked back, not because I should have or because it was expected, but because a lot of my staff have been off sick for petty things. A little bit of a statement really saying 'if I can rip my nose, get it stitched and still get back into work, you better not ring in sick with a cold' .....i'm nice to work for really

Rob

• Like 2

Then walked back, not because I should have or because it was expected, but because a lot of my staff have been off sick for petty things. A little bit of a statement really saying 'if I can rip my nose, get it stitched and still get back into work, you better not ring in sick with a cold' .....i'm nice to work for really

I have to be honest with you, my immediate conclusion would be that he was addled by painkillers if my boss returned to work after TEARING HIS NOSE SO BADLY IT NEEDED STITCHES. How does that even happen? No, I don't want to know. Even knowing what I do is too much. I assume it was basically a scene from a Cronenberg film.

77348598_44eea77b75_o.jpg

• Like 1

Also for cookie, worry not! If there is a company that is well know for looking after its staff it's mine.... I walked to a&e got stitched (with out it being fully numbed as it actually hurt a fair bit, but he was having trouble with it. I had the choice of being stabbed with a needle till my nose was numb or..... well being stabbed with a needle until my nose was numb.... but with thread attached so went with the latter.) Then walked back, not because I should have or because it was expected, but because a lot of my staff have been off sick for petty things. A little bit of a statement really saying 'if I can rip my nose, get it stitched and still get back into work, you better not ring in sick with a cold' .....i'm nice to work for really

Rob

Bloody Hell Rob,.......you aren`t really John Rambo are you?

• Like 1