201 Escuadron P-47D-30 Mexican Airforce. - **FINISHED**

Hello Everyone,

I said in modelling minions thread that I was going to join in with a Mexican P-47 once I had sorted all the bits out. I did have a Revell 1/72 P-47 N that I was going to use, but upon research and after discussion it has been suggested that the N model wouldn't be a good place to start to backdate to a D model. Well that was me buggered. So I purchased two new kits of the Revell P-47D-30 which as far as I can tell... is exactly the same mould... I give up. So now I have 3 kits. I have loved the Mexican scheme of the 201 Escuadron, Fuerza Aerea Expedicionaria Mexicana, attached to the 58th FG, in the Philippines in 1945 since I saw the aircraft on a loading screen for War Thunder believe it or not. I just thought it was interesting to see the Mexican triangle (I don't know it's correct name) and the Stars and Bars of the USAAF on the same aircraft (clicky link for a HD wallpaper of said picture). Thankfully I searched for the picture again before I started and checked my decal sheet as I was under the impression the bars where yellow, but apparently they where black and white. I have seen colour pictures of the actual aircraft to back it up also... so god knows where I got yellow from? I also thought these aircraft where based in Italy, but they where actually based in the Philippines... really think I am getting confused with the Brazilian ones. Anyhow on

24518411570_9fe4694d9d_b.jpg

Got the kits from KingKit... wished I had paid £3.99 for it, but I aint gonna moan. I LOVE KingKit, sure my gf doesn't tho :P I do really like the "Balls Out" scheme. I might do it at a later date.

24446285899_c393118627_b.jpg

These pictures where taken at night with the flash off, I'm sure everyone knows what the sprues look like on this model by now...

24720458861_485ff38a1e_b.jpg

24185761724_35f032db0d_b.jpg

24518398300_54aaa18e40_b.jpg

Really like that belly tank for reasons unknown...

24446294039_389b2341d3_b.jpg

The decals are really good and quite exhaustive... for once in my life I want to build a French machine... maybe at a later date (sorry Mish, I know you like Frenchie machines).

24185765424_a195661031_b.jpg

The decal sheet I will be using, not sure if AeroMaster are around anymore??

24787686556_07b7897765_b.jpg

The one I will be building is the third one from the top.

24187097453_085d7859d7_b.jpg

Decals all appear to be in register and look nicely printed. Yay!

24518401590_7a2cb6cbd2_b.jpg

So after getting tips from TeeELL about the Instrument Panel (not the IP :P). I managed to paint it up to this level. There is some really nice detail on those dials, I will have to dollop the gloss varnish on it laters.

24446274319_02fb1c189e_b.jpg

Simple things keep me happy and I am really happy with this side. Probably the wrong colours, but I am happy with it. :)

24187072923_9584dd62cd_b.jpg

Same again for this side, not that much will be seen mind.

24446278229_057469b3f5_b.jpg

Wonderful cockpit, not really much to show here tbh.

24187076093_1be58107da_b.jpg

Instrument Panel fitted, this is a horrible picture... if anyone wants to see a better version just say so. I will re-take the photo and upload. You get the idea tho. I have also painted the wheel wells (no picture) and I have fitted the cockpit to the left fuselage but without any pictures. As I have said in my Hurricane GB. I have just been accepted for a flat with SWMBO (our first place living together). Now I am allowed to build models (like she has a choice! :boxing:) it will take us a few days/weeks to get things sorted. My mother has decided to let me have the man-cave completely to myself now (we was sharing before hand). So I can have display cabinets and such :Tasty::yahoo: We have still got to sort stuff out and move around. So this might be all I get accomplished for a wee while. I do really want to build another P-47 with a massive pin-up model on it for my girlfriend, she loves pinup art (I don't mind it either :winkgrin: ). If anyone that knows of a really nice pinup and you can get decals in 1/72 I am open to suggestions. I am thinking of looking at Kits-World as they are literally down the road from me.

Hope to keep people entertained on this journey of mangled and melted plastic, this ride will get bumpy.

Hints and pointers as always gratefully received.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio
  • Like 4

Excellent work so far. I've got that same decal sheet you have and often think about doing that scheme but the curved paint round the cowl puts me off. I'll hopefully get some tips from your build.

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words almac. Those curved bits on the cowling are worrying me a little also. I think I might just work out the radii and go from there. Failing that, I do have access to a cricut, which might prove really handy. I have also seen pictures of the entire cowling being white. God knows...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hi Dazz, welcome aboard, nice choice of model and colour scheme.

Looks like you're off to a flying start already with a very lovely cockpit well done.

Sound like you are about to have a good setup for building models.

As far as doing one with Pin-Up girls on it well who won't like to see one!! There doesn't seem to be too much available in 1/72nd, though found these;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AZD7224

In 1/48th Zotz have a great range;

http://www.zotz-decals.com/decals/zotz-48035.shtml

they're not cheap but they are great decals, think there are 5 different sets in the Pin-Up girl range...worth a look at anyway.

Anyway, good luck with you build, great to have you along and look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

Thank you for the encouragement Rich. :) I am looking forward to getting my man cave sorted out, the only problem is that it's 15 miles away from where I will be living. Can't have it all I guess... :shrug:

There's a fair few decals on Hannants, but nothing I see and think "wow!" kinda thing. I think I will be going for either this sheet with "Phil Darling" or maybe this sheet with either "Squirt II" and "Miss Mutt".

I might have to delve into 1/48th one day... maybe when I have some pennies to spend (not any time soon then!). Thank you for the suggestions. :)

Glad to be here and I hope I do not make a complete hash of it! :P

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Great choice of scheme Dazz, and very good work on the cockpit.

I look forward to seeing her come together.

Craig.

Cheers dude! I hope you like her when she is finished. Thinking I might give Alcad II a go for the NMF?? HHMM...

Well after the cockup that is my g/f's reference for the flat I am moving into (I got the keys today instead of Friday). I found myself with some time on Saturday night. So in the Mancave I went :D

24896702145_3d38ba5a93_b.jpg

I am hoping you will see the detail in the cockpit once she is all closed up. I should of used a wash on the floor and seat, oh well maybe on the other ones. That instrument panel came out better than I thought it would. :)

24778784012_9827e8e88f_b.jpg

The wheel wells where done in "Zinc Green Chromate" from Vallejo. It's probably not the right colour but it looked okay to me. I also painted the aliminium bits too, just looked right, added a wash in there for the fun of it too. Painted inside the wings black for the gun ejector ports too. Yay...

24803343461_5e66217341_b.jpg

Here she is with her wings fitted, the main wings are only dry fitted for the time being. The tail plane are glued in and fitted like a charm. I am thinking of replacing the guns with brass tubing (pipes?). Might put a wash over that seat too. The Ariel was fun to fit also, Revell tell you to cut the wrong hole out for it... joy!

Hope to have more soon-ish...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

there's some nice work going on there Dazz, think the new man cave is working a treat with the modelling Mojo!

Thank you Rich, I think the new cave is helping out alot now. Just a shame it's so god damn far from my flat. Still trying to sort out the man cave now tho... can't win really.

Done *some* work last week, only just got the pictures off my phone.

25038193454_46b763cb03_b.jpg

I only had time to fit the firewall (not sure if the colour is correct). I think I will have to get some metal tubes for the barrels as the supplied ones look pants. Also fitted the plyons, might just use the bombs I got on it.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

Dazz, don't worry to much about the firewall.

Not much can be seen after placing the Massive engine in front of it. Even in 1/32 you can't see much of it.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Dazz, don't worry to much about the firewall.

Not much can be seen after placing the Massive engine in front of it. Even in 1/32 you can't see much of it.

Cheers,

yeah it' pretty much well hidden, even with the cowlings open you can't really see anything.

Cheers lads, I did think so :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

• 4 weeks later...

Holy crap! I only have a week to get this one done! Knowing this I stole the air compressor from work. I managed to get my spray both from home to my new flat and the gf is happy I can make models in the kitchen. \o/

I primed the model and sprayed the aluminum on and I am really impressed with this one!. :)

25966941070_868fd827fb_b.jpg

26213888986_2881128a7d_b.jpg

I need to spray the Olive drab anit-glare bits then the black bars. The tail I am worried about so I will have to mark that up. In future I'd suggest painting the rudder before fitting the horizontal stabilizers. Lets see if I can beat the deadline. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I was wondering where you had gotten too with this build, glad to see progress and a nice coat of paint!

Gosh you do have a very considerate gf for letting you work in the kitchen of all places!

Here's hoping you can get her finished in time, would be great to have her in the gallery!!!

• Like 1

I was wondering where you had gotten too with this build, glad to see progress and a nice coat of paint!

Gosh you do have a very considerate gf for letting you work in the kitchen of all places!

Here's hoping you can get her finished in time, would be great to have her in the gallery!!!

If I am honest rich, I completely forgot about this one until I went home the other day. I got the hurricanes to finish after this one.

My g/f is actually very supportive of my hobbies, then again I am of hers. She knows the paint isn't dangerous asI use Vallejo's, and as long as I spray inside the booth she hasn't got a problem (theres a joke there somewhere). I am really hoping to get this one finished in time.

So I got some work on her done on Tuesday, I was hoping to get some done on Wednesday, but the cowling still felt... tacky so I am a day behind in my plan already :( Heres where I am upto now.

26252488526_61ef0a9f0f_b.jpg

25675692603_d933d0ca1e_b.jpg

The cowling has turned out a hell of a lot better than I thought it would. I need to touch up a few bits on it, but it hardly leaked! woohoo! I need to repaint the tail stake thing as it's not meant to have black on it. Also the black bands aren't the same width (esp the rear fuselage one). But I am hoping the decals will sort that out. Just need that cowling to dry properly.

Getting there!

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 4

Lovely progress and I hope the decals are going on well today!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you PlaStix, the decals where a PITA last night! My girlfriend had her friends round yesterday and they stayed over as well. So that was much fun and meant I couldn't do much work on her. The white decals for the theater stripes where annoying. Next time I have to do something like this I will paint the theater bands, these where a paint. I've come to the conclusion that this will not be finished in time. But I will endeavor to get her finished next week, sorry guys!

26318278166_27c5b00051_b.jpg

See what I mean about the theater bands? I've got so many decals to put on this one, oh well...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hi Dazz. Sorry this one isn't going to be in the Gallery in time but it's better to get is finished properly rather than just rushing it to meet the deadline of a GB. It was looking exceptionally smart in that last photo and I look forward to seeing more progress over the week.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

That's a shame Dazz, that was an great looking scheme and it was different to the normal USAAF and SEAC beasts that are so popular.

I do hope you finish her and update the threat, I so do want to see her finished.

Thanks for joining us, was great to have you along.

• Like 1

Hi Dazz. Sorry this one isn't going to be in the Gallery in time but it's better to get is finished properly rather than just rushing it to meet the deadline of a GB. It was looking exceptionally smart in that last photo and I look forward to seeing more progress over the week.

Kind regards,

Stix

That's a shame Dazz, that was an great looking scheme and it was different to the normal USAAF and SEAC beasts that are so popular.

I do hope you finish her and update the threat, I so do want to see her finished.

Thanks for joining us, was great to have you along.

Thanks lads for the kind words. I did think that rushing it would be pointless as I am really loving this scheme, the Mexicans do have a flair for interesting paint schemes. I've just read that the prop has the red/white/green of the flag on the tips too. That'll be fun to paint. Sorry I wasn't able to finish this one, felt like I've let you all down.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, just a note to say that I am still working on this one. I wanna get this one done before I even start the AlphaJet for the 80's GB. I'm starting to really hate stencil decals, the P-47 had so many of the buggers! Well here is where I am upto as of last night.

26560713302_3c8f7fb2ed_b.jpg

26653998745_3e3b2c87df_b.jpg

I am not so sure on the Aeromaster decals, they seem a bit thick and will not settle. The rudder one and this the insignia one both seen to not wanna settle into the crevices (spelling?). I will just have to drown the buggers later in Microsol.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Done some more work on this last night while watching Black Lagoon, that show cracks me up... anyhow...

26067714033_3bebf98bf6_b.jpg

26645306926_f48cb906d1_b.jpg

26578725492_4126acdd87_b.jpg

A little close up of the engine, I am really happy with the way it's turned out. Lets see if the bugger fits together! The US insignias are a bit weak and the colour looks off a bit, but I can live with it. All I got left is to seal the decals in, and there was many, I wasn't sure if the Mexicans had them on their aircraft, but I liked them anyhow. Hopefully she'll be finished soon. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 2