1/48 Moroccan F-16D block 52+ *Finished 3/4*

DaveJL

Hello all,

Here is another of my upcoming projects; 1/48 Kinetic F-16D Block 52+ in the markings of the Moroccan Air Force. These jets have recently been used in combat in Iraq/Syria and Yemen.

The kit:

IMG_8928_zpsq872iw9h.jpg

IMG_8930_zpszaciqmxi.jpg

Aftermarket:

IMG_8931_zpshr5hqzwb.jpg

Will be using Pavla seats, Kinetic etch set for the cockpit (not sure how much of this I'll use), Steel Beach FOD cover, Attack Squadron BRU-57 bomb racks and Caracal decals (took me an age to find these!)

I'lll be loading it up with 2x AIM-120, 2x AIM-9, 4x GBU-38 (taken from an Academy F-15E as the Kinetic ones aren't overly accurate) 3x fuel tanks and a Sniper pod.

The jet itself:

111009033745686742_zpsmgf0fzm8.jpg

C model with BRU-57 and inert GBU-38's:

22779410_zpsszkbpeec.jpg

(net images, reference only)

Been wanting to do this scheme for a while and this, along with the Turkish F-16C Block 50+ that i'll be starting shortly, will kick start a number of builds of the latest generation of F-16s used by Arab nations (the others being the UAE, Iraq, Oman and Pakistan.)

More soon.

Dave

• Like 6

Made a start this morning. Cockpit built up and PE added:

IMG_9003.jpg
IMG_9004.jpg

Front fuselage built up. I added a bit of wire running from the HUD repeater on the back-seaters coaming just to give a bit of detail:

IMG_8999.jpg

Main landing gear well built up, sprayed and ready to be fitted:

IMG_9001.jpg

Ordnance made up:

IMG_8998.jpg

The GBU-38's are from an Academy F-15E. Two are fitted with airburst fuses and two with standard fuses. The Sniper pod and fuel tanks will require a bit of a clean up.

Next up is to add the cockpit to the forward fuselage, install the landing gear bays and close up the fuselage.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 5

I like these Kinetic F-16's, and I like the subject you've chosen so I'll be watching with interest.

Cheers. Hope you enjoy.

Made a bit of progress today. All the pylons built up (note the resin BRU-57s on the left of the image):

IMG_9009_zpsv0vz2kux.jpg

Awful moulding on the flaps:

IMG_9008_zpseyrdgtau.jpg

Sub assemblies:

IMG_9010_zpsxvon68uo.jpg

Spine with drag chute housing attached. The fit is awful, hence the filler:

IMG_9013_zpslzekerc3.jpg

IMG_9014_zpsqrlikxpu.jpg

Main fuselage assembled:

IMG_9011_zps81h64u2t.jpg

IMG_9012_zpsabg0lmgr.jpg

The fit again is poor, especially around the LEX.

This is my 3rd 1/48 Kinetic F-16 and I have to say the fit on this particular one is just awful. I don't know wether it's this particular boxing or perhaps the individual mould, but nothing fits as it should. I didn't have this much bother with my previous builds (Sufa and Brakeet). Going to be a bit of a wrestling match I think. Making me reconsider my F-16 builds as I'd planned another 4-5 Kinetic examples.We shall see.

Enough moaning :lol: … Next up is to clean up the fuselage joins (mainly the LEX), clean up the spine and start putting everything together.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

I'll watch that also, I nearly mentioned how nice the Iraqi jets look also in my first comment. I imagine that kit will go together better at least, although the Kinetic kits do have a charm to them imo.

The fit on this one is really poor.

Looking forward to this - really interesting scheme.

Cheers.

More done. Awful fit all round.

IMG_9034_zpskhbwfhiz.jpg

IMG_9035_zpsmihw5ppc.jpg

IMG_9036_zpsvrot8vbw.jpg

The engine should would not fit flush with the fuselage and actually appears mis-shapen. The fit of the panels around the nose is terrible, the side panels appear about a mm too short and one appears warped. The last straw was when I went to add the intake and there was about a mm gap between the end of the intake and the bulkhead in the main landing gear bay.

So, this kit has been set aside and abandoned.

Fear not, as i'll be ordering another Hasegawa 52+ and continuing it from there.

As mentioned earlier, I don't know what is wrong with this kit, if it is the boxing or particular moulding. The Sufa and Brakeet kits I build were not perfect or easy, but they were certainly no where near as bad a fit as this kit. I'll be selling a few of the Kinetic F-16's that I have after this! Will keep the UAE F-16F but I think the rest will be going!

Will update when the Hasegawa replacement kit arrives.

Dave

Sorry to hear this kit is proving such a nightmare Dave. Certainly a step backward when a 25+ year old kit fits better than a brand new product :(

That does look really bad, sorry to see that. I admit, You have me worried now as I have several more of these in the stash, I also have four Tamiya versions mind, I think I'll crack on with those first...

The Sufa and Brakeet kits I built were fine, not great, but a lot better than this one! I'm hoping it's a one off...

As for the Tamiya kits, I think i'll be using those for some of the single seaters I had planned to build (Turkey and Oman)

Dave

Yeah, I have one each of the four versions in 1/48, I'm looking forward to making the aggressor in the black, white and grey scheme. I may have to buy a couple more C versions as there are too many good looking paint schemes to choose from. I'm still hoping that Tamiya will expand their range with an F-16D at least..

• 2 weeks later...

Made a start on the new kit. Firstly, the extra parts acquired:

IMG_9129_zpsymphiade.jpg

Cockpit built up, painted, and fitted:

IMG_9135_zps9r5smoqh.jpg

Fuselage closed up, nose cone added:

IMG_9140_zpsjn14jda7.jpg

IMG_9141_zpsohpvus8r.jpg

One thing that needed work was the wing tips as the Moroccan, unlike the Iraqi jets, are equipped with the AIM-120. So the old wingtips were removed and fitted with the LAU-128 launch rail:

IMG_9130_zpsw58memrz.jpg

IMG_9131_zpsgtbzfrlg.jpg

Ordnance is the same as previous posts. I'll be using the Kinetic pylons and fuel tanks for this one:

IMG_9137_zpsnrtnq31u.jpg

Spine assembled:

IMG_9147_zpss1klpdig.jpg

Aires exhaust:

IMG_9142_zpsuebqngyq.jpg

Paula seats:

IMG_9144_zpslaoencq6.jpg

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

Dave,

did you test those seats to see if they would fit into the Kinetic tub? I have tried (3) aftermarket seats and they are too tight.

I'd be interested in seeing if they fit.

Ryan

They fit the Kinetic kits with a small bit of trimming. They fit the Hasegawa kits with no issues.

• Like 1