Revellogram 1/48 Do335

lesthegringo

Guys, I read somewhere that the new releases by Revell of the old Monogram Do335 has recessed panel lines instead of the raised ones the original came with. Is that correct? The rather more expensive Tamiya version is not available locally, so assuming this kit is a reasonable one it would be more cost effective.

I remember building one back in the 80's and thinking it was a nice kit, but don't remember any details!

Cheers

Les

According to a review here --

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=8325(translated via Google)

-- the Revell-Germany reissue still has raised panel lines.

I happen to be in the final stages of building the Tamiya kit, and it's really terrific. Even the decals worked well. FWIW, there are a bunch to be had at eBay including one source that's selling several for under $40 US.

Edited by Seawinder

Thanks, trouble is the shipping makes them too expensive to import

Maybe I'll just wait for the Tamiya one to become available here, if nothing else it will keep the missus happy!

Les

Les

I note you are in Australia

you should look at the various Japanese or Chinese /HK online sellers, Hobby Link Japan, Lucky Model etc etc, as welll as Buy It Now on Ebay Australia or even amazon.

eg HLJ

https://www.hlj.com/product/TAM89598/Air

backordered but listed as AUS $38 and $12.75 to ship.

You get what you pay for, if you are on a budget, 'cheap' but older kits are not a 'bargain' still the same cost for paint etc, and if you want to bring up to the same standard, lots of work.

That said, the Monogram kit is pretty decent, I presume it dates from research done when the US restored their Do335, much like the old Monogram Me262, which is also still a very well shaped kit.

HTH

That said, the Monogram kit is pretty decent, I presume it dates from research done when the US restored their Do335...

Actually the Dornier was restored by Dornier themselves (in exchange for a 10 year loan to the Deutsches Musem in Munich until about 1986).

• Like 1

surprised that Revell of Germany is also re-issuing this kit (MONOGRAM)

and yes it does still have raised panel lines. :(

​Why? It's an excellent kit, even if not up to the standards of the even better Tamiya kit. RoG doesn't rebox Tamiya plastic, so they need to go with what they have access to, and there's little reason to retool that one yet.

The RM kit isn't too bad - certainly you need to do some work to make the removable engine panels less apparent. The raised panel lines can be sanded off and rescribed. The only problem I had with the one I built many moons ago was that the clear canopy glass went milky over time. This was a fault in the plastic - I had the same problem with a RM P51D of similar vintage.

I wouldn't pay a fortune for the Tamiya kit when with a bit of TLC the RM kit is quite acceptable.

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses. I will have to see what is available online as Troy states, however it's clear that the Revell option is not so bad so if I go that way it seems I won't be badly off. We are lucky as modellers to have the options, really!

Cheers

Les

Les, good luck with the project. Pardon me for repeating myself in pushing the Tamiya kit, but I'm just finishing my build of it (it'll be done in the next couple of hours), so it's fresh in my mind. If you can find one at a price you can afford, I'm positive you won't regret it. I built the Monogram kit years ago, and I'd have to say there's no comparison in terms of engineering, fit and detail. As Troy said, you get what you pay for, and I'd rate the Tamiya 335 right up with their 1:48 P-47 and F-16 kits as some of the best plastic I've ever fondled.

I have the 335 A12 from Tamiya; I got it for 15€ on Ebay, which a low price for this kit.

Effectivly the shipping cost to Australia can be a problem because it raises a lot the overall cost.

You'd better try whith Japanese or Cinese dealers which are closer to you at this point.

I have the same problem with the Tamiya He-219 1/48 which is a bit expensive in Europe, and cheaper in the far-east. But being in Italy, the cost from far-east doesn't make it more convenient than the European ones. I just wait for a business trip opportunity to do shopping... :popcorn:

Now, I don't know the Revell-Monogram kit, but the Tamiya is a wonder of ingeneering and quality. Nice other thing : if you buy the A12 (two seater), you get the complete A1 version ( bomb, bomb bay, rear top fuselage) plus the sprues dedicated to the A12... so you can change your mind on the way and go for the A1 instead of the A12 !

Cheers

Erik

Hello,

I built one (Monogram) a couple of years ago. It required some extra attention to get the engine panels to fit properly. There is also a very visible problem with the wings. In the real thing the wing has a fold when viewed from front. At the same time the trailing edge should be straight. Some cutting, gluing and re-shaping is needed. Also the first centimeters of the wing leading edge are too blunt in the wing root. It should be very sharp and "wedge-like", but this is quite easy to fix.

Best Regards,

Antti

• 1 month later...