Duxford May 2016 Prices

Jonny

Form IWM.

IWM Duxford Air Show Notice

Tickets and Changes
Changes to 2016 Air Shows at IWM Duxford

After the sell-out success of last September’s Air Show we are pleased to announce that tickets are now on sale for IWM Duxford’s May Air Show as well as the Flying Legends Air Show, organised by the Fighter Collection and held at IWM Duxford. After new guidelines were introduced regarding Air Shows in September last year, IWM has worked alongside the various agencies and authorities to put in place a number of measures for all of our Air shows held at IWM Duxford. These measures are being introduced for safety reasonsand also to help improve our visitors’ experiences on the day, following feedback.

In 2015, we introduced advance ticketing only, to help us manage and plan for the best visitor experience possible, as well helping us to work effectively with Highways England (formerly the Highways Agency) and local authorities on managing the number of people travelling to and from IWM Duxford.

We’ve continued our work with Highways England, the Police, AA and Civil Aviation Authority to do all that we can to minimise the traffic on the road and congestion on the M11, A505 and surrounding roads on theapproach to IWM Duxford. This is important for both visitors to the Air Shows at IWM Duxford as well as local residents. We also hope to minimise the time it takes visitors to enter and exit the car parks which we know has been a source of frustration in the past. In addition queues or slow moving traffic on the M11 or A505 introduce a new safety risk and may now result in the Air Show being paused or stopped altogether therefore we need to minimise the possibility of this occurring.

Once again we encourage people to consider travelling by public transport to IWM Duxford or to take advantage of the various park-and-ride options available. There are public transport alternatives and you can find out more about these in our Planning Your Air Show Visit FAQ’s on the IWM website.

To support the management of traffic and to provide an improved experience for all our visitors, there is now a limit on car parking places available for the Air Show so everybody wishing to travel by car to an Air Show will now need to book a car parking ticket in advance. Car parking spaces are limited and subject to availability, so if you will be travelling by car we strongly advise you to book your car park ing ticket early along with your Air Show tickets. In order to reflect the increased costs of event and traffic management we have introduced a £5 per car charge for the car parking at IWM Duxford’s Air Shows. Like the Air Show tickets, car parking tickets must be purchased in advance. This money will help support IWM in implementing the new safety measures and in providing additional staff in and around the site to make our visitors’ experience of the day as pleasurable as possible.

To find out more about IWM Duxford Air Show tickets, you can visit our Air Show Tickets FAQ’s on the website.

The cost of parking will be included in the higher cost of tickets for Flying Legends, the Air Show organised and produced by The Fighter Collection and held at IWM Duxford. However, car parking tickets will still need to be obtained when booking for Flying Legends and there are still a limited number of spaces. The Fighter Collection are supporting IWM Duxford with the additional safety and improvement costs.

At the end of each of the Air Shows, there will also now be greater opportunity to continue to experience some of the exhibitions around IWM Duxford, including the newly transformed American Air Museum (opening on 19 March). We hope that this will encourage visitors to stagger the times at which they leave, which will help to manage some of the inevitable traffic congestion on the A505 and minimise the waiting time in car parks after the Air Show. I hope that our visitors will understand and appreciate the reasons behind the changes we have made.

The whole of IWM Duxford, including all of our exhibitions, is open on air show days and it’s all included in your admission ticket price. Even without 3-and a-half-hours of flying to enjoy, our museum offers a full day out for the family with lots of things to see and do. You can explore our impressive exhibitions, let off steam in the museum’s green open spaces or our playground, Activity Zone, enjoy a visit to our restaurant and cafes or one of the many concessions and stalls on site, all before the flying starts.

IWM Duxford was built by the Royal Air Force in 1918 to help defend and protect Britain and played a major role during the Second World War in the Battle of Britain. In 1943, the airfield was handed over to the United States 8th Air Force and became the headquarters of the 78th Fighter Group who provided air cover to the Allied Forces on D-Day. Duxford’s history, buildings, working airfield and the stories they all tell are so important that the site is now looked after by Imperial War Museums.Today, IWM Duxford welcomes around half a million visitors a year and over 60,000 children through education programmes. Everybody who buys a ticket to an IWM Duxford Air show, everybody who visits throughout the year and everybody who becomes an IWM Friend is actively contributing to the continued care and ongoing conservation of this wonderful centre of British Aviation History and the wider work of IWM.

Thank you for your on-going support.
Graeme Etheridge
Interim Executive Director

Guy

Afternoon, All.

Please understand in reading this that I am a great fan and supporter of Duxford and all that it does for aviation enthusiasts. I have been a "Friend of Duxford" for about 10 years now (currently about £55 a year).

Having said that, I cannot stay quiet on the charges for Duxford airshows this year. The May airshow is £29.50 in advance (no tickets for sale on the day!) and then if you want to park your car there's a £5.00 charge for that! You can use the code AIR20SHOW to get a 20% discount when ordering, which does lessen the blow to some degree. I'm not sure when this discount code is valid until - Duxford's website should provide all the details.

I'm sorry, but considering that the actual airshow will last for around 3.5 hours, the ticket-price is simply not good value for money IMO. I must admit that I have never been a fan of compulsory pre-ordered tickets, for the simple reason that you can NEVER rely on the UK's weather playing nicely on the day. I have been to a number of show in recent years that have been all but wiped out by bad weather (obviously, this is one factor completely outside of the organizer's control, but these things happen).

If we compare this show to RIAT at RAF Fairford, you are paying between 10 or 15 quid a day more (depending the time of year you order your tickets), but you will be watching an eight hour air display and there is a great deal more to see on the ground. RIAT can attract a much wider selection of participants, simply because of its size and global reputation.

By comparison, I just don't think that Duxford is offering great value for money.

I don't want Duxford to suffer in any way, but I think they might find their airshow attendance significantly lower this year now that the ticket-price has reached this level....

What does anyone else think?

Chris.

Perhaps they are trying to make Duxford a little more "exclusive" and get it onto the calender of "essential must do" British Summer activities. It's pretty much priced me out of been able or more importantly willing to take my family to experience it. £83 for a family ticket for their season opener, about the same for Legends and now another £5 for parking. I think we paid £43 in advance for Cosford last year all in. Plenty of other shows around for a more reasonable price that are long enough to hold mine and the kids attentions.

I was more shocked at this story re the price and portion of food at Duxford though.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?137479-Duxford-Diary-(2016)&p=2291682#post2291682

I'm not paying nearly £35 with parking and pay for the flightline on top of that and you only get 3.5 hours of flying and nearly a 2 hour drive and petrol !

I have not been to RIAT for a long time and I think I will maybe give them my money this year once I know what's there, same amount of driving time and petrol as Duxford and it's an 8 hour flying display with plenty to see on the ground as has been said. I might make it a two day trip !! and treat myself as I won't be doing anything else. But I suppose I better wait and see what the changes will be and if it effects RIAT which I hope it dose not I think they come under military rules ?

Guy

I apologize that I interfere in you discussion.

At my look as foreign visitor, Duxford costs that money which I spent for visit -

I'm were at Duxford couble years ago - wish i that in Russia will be similar shows.

f3372.jpg

f3436.jpg

Kotey, the way things are going, there won't be many more airshows here either. The flying community have managed just fine these past 40 years, now we are being squeezed for what we consider no good reason. It's all about money.

These ticket only affairs seem to be gathering pace. I remember IAT being a washout a few years ago and we manged to up sticks and head to the Flying Legends show to lesson the blow. Dead handy but if you don't have a ticket this weather you are screwed.

Will try to manage the 2 this year, Aint many flying legends around this part of the World.

I'd imagine part of the advance ticket thing is to get cash in advance in case there is a wash out. That way everyone shares the hit rather than the organiser taking a huge one by themselves. I remember hearing over the pa at DX a few years back that this was a way to guarantee shows for the future, but the response from the organiser being interviewed suggested that they'd rather it hadn't been mentioned.

For various reasons, the next year or two will be very interesting for aishow goers, and by interesting I mean potentially very different, frustrating and disappointing.

Like others have said, I want to like going to Duxford ( I live twenty minutes away), but it feels like being kicked in the balls by an old friend. The only reason I can't just walk away is that I don't know to what extent these changes are being imposed. As I said before, I'll look and see and then decide going forward. If the extra cost gives a better day out, then fair enough, if not then its decision time.

Steve.

I have an Australian buddy who is green with envy when we discuss airshows, fly-ins, museums and so on.

We have in the UK variety, plenty of shows, and a good smattering of visitors from elsewhere at our shows.

He visited here a couple of years ago, and took in Waddington amongst other things - he was blown away, especially when they got the Viggen working after it went tech.

He did comment that he felt we didn't realise how fortunate we were, and perhaps we should remember this...

...and of course it will be very interesting to see how the attendance at Duxford fares, and how many people plonk themselves somewhere outside the airfield for a view of the action.

• Like 1

I have never been to a Duxford show - been tempted - but not now. RIAT has been pre-pay, pot-luck for a few years and I just go with the flow on that. I've had one really wet visit with limited flying but mostly it's a good experience now. Parking is now excellent (and free) and even the queueing system to get in was very good last year

All very well comparing prices of an airshow to a football game etc, but not everyone is minted and can afford the price hikes.

I'm done with UK airshows anyway, only RIAT for me this year.... Looking at going abroad, I've done a couple now and they are FAR better. Sad, but true...

Wouldn't be so bad paying so much for duxford, if I didn't get shafted by the great British railway network, checked a couple of years back and it would have cost me less to go by train (by Eurostar no less) and camp for the Paris show than the days return to duxford

Edited by PhantomBigStu

I'm not paying nearly £35 with parking and pay for the flightline on top of that and you only get 3.5 hours of flying and nearly a 2 hour drive and petrol !

I have not been to RIAT for a long time and I think I will maybe give them my money this year once I know what's there, same amount of driving time and petrol as Duxford and it's an 8 hour flying display with plenty to see on the ground as has been said. I might make it a two day trip !! and treat myself as I won't be doing anything else. But I suppose I better wait and see what the changes will be and if it effects RIAT which I hope it dose not I think they come under military rules ?

Guy

Do the Sunday & Monday departures day, that way you get to see everything leave (and fly) that you don't see at the show on Sunday.

I really enjoyed last years departure day...

19899417431_b5d7609855_z.jpg

19767167338_98f6c22eb5_z.jpg

24217360642_b312cc9caa_z.jpg

Edited by Radleigh
  • Like 2

try adding air tickets, car rental and and hotel to the bill and being subjected to the ever worsening lineup that Duxford and even Fairford have been throwing up in the last few years.

To really appreciate the truly depressing spiralling downward plunge in quality that these shows have taken you only have to look at photos from five or so years ago.

The CAA aren't killing UK airshows, its suicide.

All very well comparing prices of an airshow to a football game etc, but not everyone is minted and can afford the price hikes.

I'm done with UK airshows anyway, only RIAT for me this year.... Looking at going abroad, I've done a couple now and they are FAR better. Sad, but true...

Your done with UK airshows due to the cost, but looking at going abroad to watch an airshow, hows that work out cheaper then ;)

• Like 1

A noticeable theme of many of the posts is "£35 for a 3.5 hour show". Well, as I recall, your £35 also covers entrance to the on site museums as well does it not? As for car parking fees? Well, I don't drive so it will be the free bus from Cambridge for me. Previous posters have mentioned viewing from the fields around Duxford. I would not be surprised if that avenue of pleasure was no longer available because of tighter rules on air show safety.

My partner and I will be at Duxford on May 28th and 29th. There is enough there (including the museums) to keep us both occupied for both days. In any case, with a near 800 mile round trip from Edinburgh with train fares & accommodation to pay for, we are determined to get our money's worth!!

On the subject of RIAT, I think it is dying a slow and painful death. On the last two occasions I was there, a lacklustre flying display and very thin static show contributed to a weekend of boredom. On the other hand, my partner at least enjoyed it. She had never been to a show like that before & if she's happy, then I'm happy. It will however take something VERY special to get me to RIAT again.

Another recurring theme seems to be the lack of "quality" at Air Shows. Well, I am in total agreement with that but, may I respectfully point out that those of you living south of the border at least have the benefit of wide choice of venue. For those of us from God's own country (Scotland of course!!) :winkgrin: it is either Ayr/Prestwick or, East Fortune. The show at Ayr also has the virtue of being free!! You have to pay though to get in to see the static show at Prestwick. I will also be doing Sunderland this year. Another free show. It can be done easily in a day trip so,all I need is my train fare from Edinburgh.

Next year, we may try abroad for a change. I had thought about Volkel and/or Leeuwarden. Any thoughts on these shows anyone? The availability of cheap flights from Edinburgh to Amsterdam is of course a bonus!! Certainly, it is cheaper to fly Edinburgh to Amsterdam than it is to travel by train Edinburgh to Cambridge. Of course, there are other factors to consider as well before travelling abroad.

Whatever shows you all do, enjoy anyway

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

I haven't been to Volkel or Leeuwarden and so can't comment on those shows but I have been fortunate to visit shows on the Continent and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Ultimately an airshow is an airshow and with Europe's air forces much reduced in size the exotica is less prevalent than it was a few years ago. However, you do see different aircraft of course as well as formations which you don't see this country.

Another factor in Continental airshows for me is that they are abroad which makes it a bit of a holiday as well as an adventure as I enjoy driving on the other side of the Channel.

Adding in hotels etc clearly adds to the cost and the weather isn't always on your side but am I fan of venturing overseas for something different? Absolutely.

• Like 1

last 'foreign' show I attended was Koksidje, Belgium for the Thunderbirds a couple of years ago....never been so far away from the runway, never seen so many people outside the fence. They also tend to have long breaks in the action - half-hours or even entire hours with nothing in the sky..

Your done with UK airshows due to the cost, but looking at going abroad to watch an airshow, hows that work out cheaper then ;)

Its nothing to do with the cost for ME, I'm bored of the displays being further back, no flares and very little 'exciting' stuff (just my opinion). I'm happy to pay what ever, but not everyone can... Hence my post!

• Like 1

On the subject of RIAT, I think it is dying a slow and painful death. On the last two occasions I was there, a lacklustre flying display and very thin static show contributed to a weekend of boredom. On the other hand, my partner at least enjoyed it. She had never been to a show like that before & if she's happy, then I'm happy. It will however take something VERY special to get me to RIAT again.

Allan

I enjoyed the static, can you define "special". The Japanese P-1, Mil-14 & Su-22 are all my specials.... I'm interested, I know we all have different tastes but what is special to you..

I enjoyed 2015 RIAT - I agree with Radleigh, there was enough in both the air and the static park to keep me interested. The days of a major US contribution may return but the idea that we will have a wide variety of stuff is fantasy these days with commitments abroad and worldwide for other armed forces.

Personally I'm, grateful to have an opportunity to at least attend and see whatever is left! Oh, and the wife enjoys it!

.........course, we had it tough! (In a broad Yorkshire accent)

Argosy%20C2_zps525kupqp.jpg

ETPS%20Jag%20T2_zpsudvxrbzx.jpg

Firefly%20V_zpset5pmmue.jpg

F-8_zpsltbydtst.jpg

F-14_zps952132gb.jpg

Boscombe%20F-4_zpsmdgv3zwn.jpg

German%20Canberra_zpskgf8rgza.jpg

Greek%20SLUF_zps6cqbybdl.jpg

img031%20copy1_zpsobujclfu.jpg

img033%20copy1_zpsdr6eww5v.jpg

img034%20copy1_zps5a4zuo8g.jpg

img033_zpspbbo5wd9.jpg

img036%20copy3_zpsmv7rwu6p.jpg

img036%20copy2_zpsxgppjknb.jpg

img036%20copy1_zps1m2xffun.jpg

img037%20copy1_zpscti4putj.jpg

img038%20copy2_zpsplazanqe.jpg

Shack%20AEW%202_zpsuq07sdva.jpg

RAE%20Viscount_zpsmtsshudb.jpg

Pucara_zpsh9eqpudn.jpg

SR-71_zpsrafj7mvb.jpg

TR-1_zps1capkvs0.jpg

Tornado%20F2_zps2melolrt.jpg

Trader%20COD_zpscjihmen6.jpg

Proctor_zpsnslwwz1v.jpg

img032%20copy3_zpsgxik8kzu.jpg

This is real reason why I don't go anymore.......

• Like 6

Do the Sunday & Monday departures day, that way you get to see everything leave (and fly) that you don't see at the show on Sunday.

I really enjoyed last years departure day...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/547/19899417431_b5d7609855_z.jpg[g]

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/260/19767167338_98f6c22eb5_z.jpg[/

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1665/24217360642_b312cc9caa_z.]

Thanks Radleigh but I'm unable to get the Monday off so it looks like the weekend for me.

I thought last years RIAT was a pretty decent line up as these images show and I have seen others although I did not go :weep:

Thanks for posting those Radleigh.

Gu