Dodo Models 1/700 Canadian Navy Kingston class MCDV

Paul E

As alway thank you for the comments they are always appreciated. :thanks: They keep me on track and in the realms of reality.

Well the build is now approaching the end, and I find more valuable sources of information on these little ships. :wall: There are a series of “walk around” photographs for one of the ships in the class on the Resin Shipyard site:

http://www.resinshipyard.com/walkarounds/mcdv/mcdv_walkaround.html

and more on Haze Gray:

http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/canada/current/kingston/

As for progress on the model, I have had to manufacture new fairleads for the bow out of plastic card as the PE kit items don’t fit. To be fair the instructions mention filling the bow fairlead cut outs but I didn’t consider it necessary……how wrong I was., the results are as follows:

24947041146_f6cdc4b189_k.jpg

and painted:

24650609119_f7f7f46f80_b.jpg

As you can see I have decide to give my little ship a blue nose for added interest. A blue nose is worn by ships which have crossed the Arctic Circle.

I have also fitted the ships boats:

24387629514_ba0bfab63b_b.jpg

and added the navigation lights on top of the bridge which I made from plastic card.

24745630620_1a97b5b079_k.jpg

I have also decided that I am going to decorate my model with some flags so I looked up the call signs for the various ship in the class. I have decided on HMCS Goose Bay call sign CGBV. After previous difficulties in fitting flags I and the small size of the model, I decided to build a gig to hold the halyards whilst I fixed the flags.

24929406061_d570b22eff_b.jpg

In 2011 the Canadian Navy celebrated its 100th anniversary and in doing so reinstated the Royal in its title and the White Ensign.

And finally I fitted the mast:

24947908681_46a57b29ff_k.jpg

Next up the dreaded task of fitting the rigging and decals.

Thanks for watching...........

• Like 8

She is looking great Paul well done. I like your jig for the flags thats a great idea.i wouldn't worry too much about getting an exact shade of Storm Grey, close enough is good enough I have been told. The XF-12 on its own has been recommended to me as something close enough but I think adding a bit of the XF-14 or 76 would get it a little closer. I'm sorry I haven't done the full experiment before saying something I have 2 more weeks to catch up on my bills then I can actually afford to be buying some modelling supplies which I desperately need.

If you need any information on your RAN builds and you are on Facebook, this is the best place to be asking questions. I started it to help with my research for my projects and there are some folks here who really know their stuff and are very friendly to boot.https://www.facebook.com/groups/1379015382387233/

I hope this is helpful for your future builds and I am really looking forward to seeing your Kingston finished

Cheers

Callum

• Like 1

After much Gnashing and Wailing :rant: I have fitted the rigging. I never get better! This time I broke off both yards with EZ line attached (twice) and railings around the aft part top of the bridge top. :wall: Still it’s now fixed and looks presentable when you stand 6 feet away.

25052214425_55c1d39ece_h.jpg

24934136932_e62462a4a1_h.jpg

Applying decals is on hold for now after I discovered how easy it was to damage the pennant numbers.

By the way I have elected to present my model as HMCS Goose Bay hence the signal flag call sign of CGBV.

Other news is that the display base arrived yesterday and I will have this model finished soon. I only need to fit the flag lockers and one or two small other bits before fixing it to it's base.

The final installment (I hope) will follow soon. :popcorn:

• Like 6

Thank you for that, I was not aware of this kit before, it's quite an attractive looking ship.

The guys from RB including RB himself had this on show at Telford. Had they been able to take credit card payments then I would have bought it! Nice crisp moldings and beautiful PE. I will be getting one soon!

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments as always they are much appreciated. :thanks:

Looks great! I hope you manage to sort out the decals soon. If not, PM me and I will see if I have anything that might help.

Martin

Thank you for the offer Martin but I am OK. As you can see in the picture below the damage is to one of the number sevens of the pennant number I am need to apply for Goose Bay (707).

24820755040_540fcad1e2_h.jpg

But knowing that I am such a :dunce: I already anticipated that I was going to do something stupid which is why I selected a number which I can readily replicate from the rest of the decal sheet.

Hopefully I will have the model completed this weekend.

• Like 2

That’s it HMCS Goose Bay is now complete. :yahoo: This is not one of my best models but at least I managed to do an out of the box build without much modification.

As far as the model goes, it is a very nice kit and in the right hands (i.e. not mine) would make a very nice and different model.

Any criticism I have of this kit is through the eye of an engineer more than a model maker. I would say couple of the PE parts could be improved. The PE aerial at the top of the mast is made up of 3 separate parts where a single part would have sufficed and reduced the probability of losing some of the tiny parts to the carpet monster. And the mast yard arms would have benefited of being single piece which would have offered greater strength when fitted.

Anyway here are pictures of the completed model:

24803319679_cb50f3fdeb_h.jpg

25077788401_02906669a9_b.jpg

24875401440_b0372d981c_b.jpg

25077770441_279806d245_h.jpg

I will post more in the Ready for Inspection at some time in the near future.

Thanks for looking. :thanks:

• Like 4

She looks very nice indeed and looks at home steaming on that sea scape, although the sea does look incredibly murky and uninviting.........so I take it she is chugging through Halifax Harbour!

Great work

Bob

• Like 1

She looks very nice indeed and looks at home steaming on that sea scape, although the sea does look incredibly murky and uninviting.........so I take it she is chugging through Halifax Harbour!

Great work

Bob

Thanks for the compliment. The objective was achieved with the sea colour then! I was trying to get it to look as cold and un-inviting as possible and as HMCS Goose Bay is a Halifax based ship it would be appropriate to think of her "chugging" through the harbour.

Thank you for all your kind comments guys. :thanks:

I must admit I like this model, it is really quite pleasing to the eye.

As requested here are a couple of photos of the model with a pound coin for scale.

25126660811_6870b62da7_h.jpg

24593060643_be491feeb2_h.jpg

• Like 2