1/72 - Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien "Tony" by Aoshima - released - new variant Ki-61-1-Tei 244 in January 2017

Homebee

Aoshima is to release in April 2016 two 1/72nd Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien "Tony" kits.

Sources:

http://www.aoshima-bk.co.jp/product/?s=&when1-year=2016&when1-day=04&when1-daynum=01&when2-year=2016&when2-day=04&when2-daynum=30

https://www.facebook.com/Aoshima.Bunka.Kyozai.Co.Ltd

- ref.14 - "razorback" - 「三式戦II型飛燕角型風防」 -http://www.aoshima-bk.co.jp/product/4905083022290/

4905083022290.jpg

- ref.15 - "bubbletop" - 「三式戦II型飛燕涙滴風防」 - http://www.aoshima-bk.co.jp/product/4905083022467/

4905083022467.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 7

Okay, why?

DML, Finemolds, Hasegawa, and RS Models all have Ki-61s in 72nd and they're all highly regarded. What advantage does Aoshima bring to offerings? Greater accuracy? Better engineering of the kit itself? More finesse in its rendering? A much lower price?

That's the sort of information I look for when I hear of a new kit of a long existing subject. Aoshima's recent renderings have been excellent and this one looks to continue that trend. But context would be much appreciated.

Okay, why?

DML, Finemolds, Hasegawa, and RS Models all have Ki-61s in 72nd and they're all highly regarded. What advantage does Aoshima bring to offerings? Greater accuracy? Better engineering of the kit itself? More finesse in its rendering? A much lower price?

That's the sort of information I look for when I hear of a new kit of a long existing subject. Aoshima's recent renderings have been excellent and this one looks to continue that trend. But context would be much appreciated.

I second what you wrote. Aoshima tricked me with their Ki-100s released recently, but it turned out they lack the finesse of previous kits, with coarser panel lines and surface details. Since their Ki-100s brought no advantage over the existing kits, I don't expect either from Ki-61s, apart from ground equipment which I don't need anyway. Beside so many items still not covered, this is completely useless release in my opinion.

Edited by MarkoZG

I suspect it's purely an economic decision. Aoshima probably sells 95% of their kits in Japan. RS Models is not really available there or at extortionate prices (sort of like Hasegawa and Tamiya over here) and the other kits are a bit long in the tooth. A new, easily available tooling of this popular aircraft will make them a lot of money I think.

DML and Hasegawa are Ki 61-Is. The Aosima kit will be the first mass-production kit of an Ki 61-II. Finemodels did do a short-run -II, a long time ago. I suspect that the RS and Aosima kits have overlapped in development, rather than one following the other. But we wouldn't object to a choice of new Spitfire Mk.9 kits, had all previous mainstream versions been Mk.Is, would we?

• Like 2

Graham, this is not the first time I wonder how you have the guts to put a reply on a topic while being so little informed about it? I never dare to speak about something I don't know, and especially not in public when my incompetence might mislead someone. Anyway, this is the last time I will try to correct you and I will totally ignore your posts in the future, regardless to what you write.

1. Finemolds never produced short run kits

2. Finemolds produced 2 incarnations of Ki-61-II kits: first one was Hasegawa's Ki-61-I kit packed with new injected plastic and white metal parts produced by Finemolds packed in their boxing (both razorback and bubbletop versions), while the newer and still available kit is entirely molded by Finemolds as pure Ki-61-II but this time only in razorback configuration

3. RS models covered both Ki-61-II versions and are available. When they get sold out, RS will probably re-issue them, maybe under new catalogue numbers and with different decals, like they usually do

DML and Hasegawa are Ki 61-Is. The Aosima kit will be the first mass-production kit of an Ki 61-II. Finemodels did do a short-run -II, a long time ago. I suspect that the RS and Aosima kits have overlapped in development, rather than one following the other. But we wouldn't object to a choice of new Spitfire Mk.9 kits, had all previous mainstream versions been Mk.Is, would we?

That's not correct I think; I have two Finemolds Ki-61-IIs and there doesn't seem to be anything short-run about them.

2700_rd.jpg

My Fine Molds Ki61-II has a new fuselage and a complete Hasegawa kit for the wings and smaller pieces. Strictly, both of them. I would argue that at this time Fine Molds was indeed a short-run producer. I was aware that they had redone their Ki100, but (obviously) not aware of this one.

The main purpose of my posting, which I still hold to, is that the supply of Ki61-II kits is not so generous that we shouldn't consider the Aosima kit is a welcome addition.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...