Vintage Revell SPAD XIII 1/72 Eddie Rickenbacker

Hi all,

Been ages since I posted anything but to try and get back in the swing here's an original vintage 1960's Revell build of Eddie Rickenbacker's SPAD XIII.

The build was done as part of a fun "build a beast" competition at my hobby club.

Members select obscure/difficult/potentially horrible/fiddly and awful kits that go into a Secret Santa and participants basically have a lucky dip blind draw to choose their "beast" to build over the summer break and present at the first new year meeting early Feb.

Out of about 20+ starters I think about 12 kits ended up making it to show......I guess the rest of the builds languished in despair and grief!

New things I tried...

Rigging a bi-plane for the first time and painting the roundels.

Masks for the roundels were done on self adhesive vinyl with my next door neighbours laser cutter which saved me after I destroyed the kit supplied decals!

Anyway here's my build......and yes.....It nearly did my head in! :banghead:

IMG_6602_zpsxdq4g8nx.jpg

IMG_6603_zpsm0mbqqyj.jpg

IMG_6604_zps1duvb1bi.jpg

IMG_6605_zpsvvqlfist.jpg

IMG_6606_zpst3tn3yjr.jpg

IMG_6607_zpskxpre9fd.jpg

IMG_6609_zpsrcxsligq.jpg

IMG_6610_zpsc5eacvqx.jpg

IMG_6612_zpsexjt82qx.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

• Like 18

How did you finish the prop? It looks incredible.

Thanks Jake.

The process is pretty simple.

Prop was sprayed Humbrol 103 Matt Cream (any light off white/cream/linen etc would be fine)

Given a gloss coat (I used Future/Klear equivalent)

Streaks applied by brush with liquid artists water colour (Umber was the colour but any browny colour would do)

Tamiya Clear Red Acrylic was then sprayed over the top

Sprayed the hub Humbrol 11 (metallic Silver) using a plastic circle stencil as the mask (just find the best fitting circle, tape prop in place behind circle and spray)

Dark wash applied to hub using lamp black liquid artists water colour watered down

Lastly a final coat of gloss to seal it all up

Sounds like a lot but it's not a difficult effect to achieve with a bit of experimenting!

Cheers

That is a wonderful result you've achieved, really an intricate work of art that I could see even a non-modeller/aircraft enthusiast enjoying.

Thanks Cookie! :coolio:

Bruce! *bows reverentially* that is a beauty B)

Nice to see you back mate :)

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Stew

I have risen like a Phoenix from the fire!.... lol

Hopefully it's the start of a few more builds and posts.

Actually come to think of it I have completed a couple of jets (which is very unusual for me) so maybe I'll take a few quick snaps tomorrow and get them up just for the heck of it.

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

Great what you've produced with this old kit. I have it in the stash from the more recent boxing Guynemer and Capt Fry RFC. Hopefully mine will turn out as good.

• Like 1

Well done. That's a great build of a fairly old and what the art world would call "primitive" kit. I always liked Rickenbakers colours and the SPAD XIII.

Mind you I don't recall having too much a fight when I built one in what must have been circa 1963. Just used a tube of Britfix to hold it together where it does not touch! Paint wasn't a problem, didn't use any. I was only 10 in my defence but she killed a lot of Fokkers in my bedroom

Yours is better!!!!!!

added edit

when I posted the above I had looked at the pictures through my i-phone screen so tiny. I am now back home and looking on the big monitor - I grossly under appreciated the lovely build now I see it blown up before me !

• Like 2

I love it. It's a fiddly little bugger & you've done wonders with those struts. The rigging is excellent & the whole thing has survived a photoshoot!

Thanks Andy......I realise the significance now after following your link.....ouch!

Very thankful mine survived the photoshoot and is now safely tucked away in the cabinet of glory!

Cheers

Bruce