A Pair of Pearl Harbour Zeroes - Airfix 1/72

I was planning that my next build was going to be a Tamiya F4U-1A Corsair for the Corsair STGB but I've just had a period of enforced idleness come to an end and was champing at the bit to find something to occupy myself for the next couple of weeks... so I decanted these from the stash:

DSCN4473.jpg

... I plan on using these transfers:

DSCN4484.jpg

...probably the second and third aircraft shown... I've also got a copy of Nick Millman's 'Painting the Early Zero-Sen' .pdf as my go-to colour reference.

I'll also be using two of these:

DSCN4460.jpg

... they are a bit of an extravagance, but the Zero's windows are many, and all have rounded corners; these masks may well pay for themselves in the suffering I am spared by not masking the two canopies 'by hand'.

Finally, the kit-supplied pilot figures are awful - a poor copy of the old Airfix crotch-fondler but moulded so badly as to resemble a grey alien trying to pass himself off as The Fonz. I decided not to use them and will decorate the pilots' seats instead with the Eduard Super Fabric seat belts:

DSCN4476.jpg

... so I'm going to get on with it.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

A great kit to have fun with! And not just once... clever!

I believe the canopy masks are a definite must, as making all these 'round angles' on the canopy framing does not bear thinking!

New wheels would not come amiss either...

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1

Thanks Cookie, Simon, Jean :D

JR, what's the issue with the wheels? I can see they're a bit plain, but there doesn't seem to be much detail on the real thing either... or is it a question of size?

Here's the traditional picture of the sprues, I've only photographed one since apart from the packaging and the transfers both kits are the same:

DSCN4459.jpg

It was our forum-peer Rob85 who introduced me to the notion of 'swallowing your frog', that is to say, to get the unpleasant jobs out of the way first so you can relax and have an easier day once that is done:

DSCN4457.jpg

Of course that had to be done times two. However the masks do fit exactly as they are supposed to and it took me about an hour for both as opposed to the rest of my life, which would have been the case if I had been forced to cut all those shapes with a scalpel and some Tamiya tape.

I drilled out the lightening holes in the pilot's seat:

DSCN4465.jpg

I'm not sure of the size, number or position of the holes which Airfix have moulded as indentations in the seat-back; they don't seem to match pictures on the internet but some of the pictures seem to show a different arrangement of holes to other pictures, so perhaps there was some variation between them over time or manufacturers. Drilling these holes out is ultimately a waste of time I think, as I very much doubt it will be visible once the canopy is fitted, but it is the sort of thing that I will do in order to make myself feel like a better modeller than I actually am, and in that respect it does work :D

Finally, I got the cockpit parts assembled and sprayed them with Colourcoats ACJ16 Mitsubishi Zero Grey-Green:

DSCN4467.jpg

I'm pleased with the nice fit of parts so far; the joystick was a bit difficult to de-sprue and I broke one, I fixed it but in any case the moulding of the joystick is a bit sloppy and doesn't really convey the stick-like quality of the original so I could probably have just kept the canvas 'gaiter' part and replaced the rest with a bit of stretched sprue... but again, I suspect this will be all but invisible once the fuselage is closed up. Hopefully can get some detail painting done later...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

Hi Stew,

I tend to swallow my frog as well when starting a model, although I cannot really use that term as it may be misconstrued as cannibalism.

Re the wheels, they are rather plain, but mostly without any sharp markings between rim and tires, making almost impossible to paint them cleanly without using masks. I do not like masks on wheels, therefore my routine is upset and I become grumpier than I usually am!!!

It is a delightful kit and the cockpit looks great when finished.

Great work so far

JR

• Like 3

Guess what my daughter's been enjoying Stew :D

20160131_123422_zpsi2urwrdm.jpg

20160201_174936_zpsxcw0gvwc.jpg

20160131_122532_zpsinqwbkov.jpg

20160201_175027_zpsxc9acqr4.jpg

20160201_184803_zpshfmhnknf.jpg

These new tool kits are great compared to what I grew up with. She's over the moon and loves doing this. The younger one is just as keen.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your pair of Zekes turn out!

• Like 11

Always nice to see an A6M on the workbench.

I'm curious to see the result with this new brand of decals.

Thanks Antoine, the transfers look excellent quality - how they actually perform remains to be seen but from the look of them I hope not to encounter any serious problems :)

Hi Stew,

I tend to swallow my frog as well when starting a model, although I cannot really use that term as it may be misconstrued as cannibalism.

Re the wheels, they are rather plain, but mostly without any sharp markings between rim and tires, making almost impossible to paint them cleanly without using masks. I do not like masks on wheels, therefore my routine is upset and I become grumpier than I usually am!!!

It is a delightful kit and the cockpit looks great when finished.

Great work so far

JR

JR :lol: Thanks for the tip on the wheels, I see what you mean, however the Eduard mask does include wheel-hub masks, so I'll give them a go, see what it does to my temper...

Cool..I've collected a bunch of these kits planning to do the same thing -- seems "natural" for me, but you've beat me to it! I'll be following with much interest!

Welcome aboard mate, I hope you might find something useful :)

Guess what my daughter's been enjoying Stew :D...

Jamie I really am astonished at the quality of your daughter's work, not to mention a little jealous that she has a tin of Neutral Gray which is shown as 'sold out' on your website :lol:

I gave the interiors a light wash of Citadel Nuln Oil, painted on as a shader rather than splashed overall - the one on the right has been done, I think you can see the difference:

DSCN4470.jpg

The instrument panel is provided as three separate and rather small transfers, but they work rather well:

DSCN4478.jpg

... and here are the interiors including the seats with the Eduard belts fitted - I believe at this stage of the war it should only consist of lap-straps so that is what I have used:

DSCN4483.jpg

...now to get the parts installed in the fuselage halves...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

It looks great and it is pretty snappy work! I am impressed!

Are you adding the one shoulder strap on the seat later?

I was somewhat worried about the IP decal at first, but it does look rather good in the end, even without any canopy.

These Airfix kits are really splendid!

Brilliant work so far.

JR

• Like 1

Looking really good so far, Stew. When I built my copy of this kit, I was quite impressed with the instrument panel. The finesse of the decal is quite good. Most importantly, you've got a copy of Nick's colour painting guide - that is a great piece of work and really answers a lot of questions about the early Zero.

:popcorn:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Huh. I shall address that as soon as possible.

Sweet. It detracts nothing from the fact that your daughter is punching well above her weight in modelling terms :)

Those are looking good Stew, especially the IPs and sidewalls with the wash. Personally not my subject matter of choice, but hey, a good build's a good build and I do like your threads :-)

Thanks very much Tom, a year ago it wouldn't have been a subject of any particular interest to me, but the Airfix Kate/Wildcat kits sent me off on a tangent :D

It looks great and it is pretty snappy work! I am impressed!

Are you adding the one shoulder strap on the seat later?

I was somewhat worried about the IP decal at first, but it does look rather good in the end, even without any canopy.

These Airfix kits are really splendid!

Brilliant work so far.

JR

Thanks Jean, the IPs do look good, I hope it will at least be partially visible once the canopy is fitted... thanks for the advice regarding the shoulder straps, it looks like I probably remembered incorrectly about that so will add them :)

coming along nicely, tempting me into doing a zero now, especially as I've broken my absolutely no PTO rules by doing the Guadecanal wildcat.....look forwards to the progress

Same thing happened to me Stu, with the Wildcat and the Kate - so far I've found the Zero a most enjoyable build :)

Zeros at 12 O'clock.

Sweet!

:lol: That's okay, we've got seven hours yet! Thanks mate (... and thanks for allowing me the opportunity to deploy that ancient joke) :D

Looking really good so far, Stew. When I built my copy of this kit, I was quite impressed with the instrument panel. The finesse of the decal is quite good. Most importantly, you've got a copy of Nick's colour painting guide - that is a great piece of work and really answers a lot of questions about the early Zero.

:popcorn:

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill - I had no idea you had built one, yours turned out a real beauty :wub: Yes I'm glad I got a copy of Nick's guide, I think it will prove useful well beyond building Zeroes too...

I have been looking at pictures of the A5M, some have the shoulder belt hanging out,so the A6M probably had the shoulder belt from the beginning Your work looks really nice.

Garry.

Thanks Garry, I shall add them in that case, and a double thanks for letting me know before I fitted the canopies :lol:

Looks great Stew

I think with the largish canopy the work on the interiors will be worthwhile

Looking forward to further progress

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I hope some of the interior will be visible once 'the lid is on' :)

Cheers,

Stew

So back to it - I assembled the forward cockpit decking which includes the machine-gun breeches and gunsight:

DSCN4471.jpg

I cut the triangular wedge off the top of the gunsight which is supposed to represent the reflector glass - I'll come back to that later...

I joined the fuselage halves:

DSCN4487.jpg

I needed a little filler to tidy up the seam on one of them, which implies that it was my fault, since the other didn't need any. I assembled the wings (and remembered to make the slot for the drop-tank):

DSCN4493.jpg

... and assembled the engines:

DSCN4491.jpg

It looks like not only can you add the propeller after the main assembly and painting have been done, but also the engine and the cowling which will save a bit of masking and probable swearing.

I cut a piece of a sheet of acetate and painted bits of it with 1) a mix of Tamiya Clear Red and Tamiya Clear Green and 2) Tamiya Clear Smoke - the results were virtually the same:

DSCN4489.jpg

I then cut a couple of small squares off, one each clear and tinted, and added them to the gunsight to represent the clear reflector glass and the flip-up tinted sunshade glass:

DSCN4494.jpg

I think that will actually be visible once the canopy is installed so it's not just showing off, although of course it is just showing off :lol:

Finally for the evening, I got the tail-feathers fitted:

DSCN4502.jpg

I have to say how impressed I am with these kits, given their size and their price, they are very well detailed and the engineering and assembly has been very well thought out and executed. Hopefully I can get the wings added today and try to get some paint on for the weekend...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

They're looking great Stew. How did you know about the sunshade glass? Is that in Nick Millman's guide? Very cool detail B).

If not, I certainly remember accidentally toggling it in IL-2.

• Like 2

They're looking great Stew. How did you know about the sunshade glass? Is that in Nick Millman's guide? Very cool detail B).

Thanks Cookie - no, I noticed the gunsight shade on some pictures, the Revi gunsight on the Bf109 has a similar feature, that's how I recognised it :)

Sorry I'm late Stew :):popcorn:

Those internals look 'the business' - very nice. Oh, and good call on the masks and 'swallowing the frog'!

Thanks Ced, nice to have you along - yes, it is quite a good policy though I had adopted it before I heard the phrase because it does make sense - the fact that the phrase is also rather delicious is a bonus of course for which I shall always be grateful to young Rob85 :lol:

If not, I certainly remember accidentally toggling it in IL-2.

Haha I'll bet that was annoying, especially if you were trying to toggle 'cock guns' and you had an absolute sitter right in front of you :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2