1/72 - Dassault Mirage IIIE/EA/EBR & O by Modelsvit - MIIIE/EA/EBR/O released

Homebee

I am very serious about contacting the manufacturer! You never know what they do. It is for certain that they do read forums like this and do take note of comments. Sometimes even have their own comments as seen above! I think this is very important and positive approach from a manufacturer! :worthy:  Wish all of them did the same! :winkgrin:

Well I for one will be very happy when they release the MiG-21F-13 kit. Just few weeks ago did comment about it. And now  . . .

OK here is a wish as well. Hope they do in a contunuation of the Su-22 series the ones we had with the R-29 engine, the Su-22M3K. Had a big and shorter bottom, different small intakes, a strake, different horizontals . . . But they know the details. B)

So what about that Mirage III. Look forward to it. :D

Best regards

Gabor

15 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

They're kink in contrast:

In side view it's not really a kink but rather a different curvature between the radome (straight line, conical radome) and the radar electronic bay (ogival). The kink is really when you look at the aircraft with a 30-60° angle.

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2019 at 2:10 PM, Gene K said:

Sadly for me too. Reminds me too much of the R.V. Rivet Monster.  Hoping for a "cleaner" series from Special Hobby!!

Despite my mistake-rivet attitude, I ordered one ... which I received yesterday from Hannants. 

I take it all back -- the rivets are restrained, and this kit is FIRST CLASS all the way! Really Anxious to get the Mig-21F-13 now.

Gene K

• Like 2

On 1/28/2019 at 2:35 AM, ModelSvit Balkans said:

Dear friends,
On behal of Modelsvit team, would like to clarify the issue with rivets on our Mirage IIIE (#72045), which have became a subject of long discussions among you.
FYI: On the Mirage III E's early bare metal schemes (see bellow) the rivets were well visible. Later on the the fuselage was primed, its surface became sleeker and riveting slightly disappeared. Therefore, in order to simplify the work of those of you, willing to have the early metal scheme, we released the kit with rivets.

Thank you for your attention!

Pic 450740818_2281848992084139_1817079171197650673268_2281848958750809_6668293247980250881546_2281848972084141_56439281976711

Hello Modelsvit,

I would like to encourage you to keep designing your kits the way you always have - PLEASE DON'T CHANGE A THING. I am currently working on your Mirage 4000 and it is excellent. The surface detail is beautiful and state of the art. The paint masks and photo etch is a nice addition. The cockpit looks great - the ejection seat alone consists of seven parts. I hope you go on to produce the entire Mirage family, including the South American, South African, and Israeli derivatives (Israel built at least four different Mirage IIIC reconnaissance variants that are not well known). In short, I love your kits and I wish you the very best with your future efforts.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Hobo said:

Hello Modelsvit,

I would like to encourage you to keep designing your kits the way you always have - PLEASE DON'T CHANGE A THING. I am currently working on your Mirage 4000 and it is excellent. The surface detail is beautiful and state of the art. The paint masks and photo etch is a nice addition. The cockpit looks great - the ejection seat alone consists of seven parts. I hope you go on to produce the entire Mirage family, including the South American, South African, and Israeli derivatives (Israel built at least four different Mirage IIIC reconnaissance variants that are not well known). In short, I love your kits and I wish you the very best with your future efforts.

+ 1 🙂

Madcop.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 2:51 PM, MiG-Mech said:

Any chance for Swiss IIIS ? :)

Given the great love of Modelsvit for experienced and experimental aircraft, Mirage Milan

milan-1.jpg

(Recourse photo:

http://airwar.ru/enc/xplane/milan.html )

has more chances! 😉 😁

My personal, subjective, unfounded, intuitive opinion! Not an insider! 🤗

About Mirage III E from Modelsvit.

I have not previously shared concerns about the rivet, now that I have a model I don’t have any complaints about the rivet at all. So far, in the box, on the sprues, everything looks good....

B.w. what this

("Do you see it too?"(c)😁)

with two shadow grey (grey & blueish grey) nose camouflage 

20190409-215704.jpg

on assembling?

Easter egg from Modelsvit?🤔

Who will find this

Easter egg the first, new model Modelsvit at the expense of the company?

😁😁

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Strange rumors on Russian modeller's site Karopka:

https://karopka.ru/forum/messages/forum189/topic28960/message1334553/#message1334553

Modelsvit will remake Mirage III E???

"At the model show, I was able to talk on this topic with representatives of the MODELSVIT company and they said they were going to release a new version of this model with corrected errors."

"They did it the way it was technologically more convenient for good gluing (joining) of wing parts, but this moment was not taken into account.  Now ready to create actual new molds.  Yes, another fin will be one detail."

"What to look for: "Modelsvit" will release a new model of the Mirage 3, taking into account the complaints and flaws.  However, they plan that the new model will not be riveted"

Rumor summary:

- New design of the wing; 

- Fin of one piece;

- No riveting.

?????

what for?

🤔

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aardvark said:

However, they plan that the new model will not be riveted

Hoorah!

9 hours ago, Aardvark said:

- No riveting.

?????

what for?

🤔

That is good news to me!  All of those holes all over the airframe are NOT rivets, they're holes!  A drill leaves holes, rivets plug them!!

I've said it before, the surface finish on a Mirage is smooth and you only see the rivets on a NMF Mirage because they're made from a different material.

:angrysoapbox.sml: mode off!

Kudos to Modelsvit for taking on board criticism and actually doing something about it, I look forward to seeing the revised product.

22 hours ago, Aardvark said:

"They did it the way it was technologically more convenient for good gluing (joining) of wing parts, but this moment was not taken into account.  Now ready to create actual new molds.  Yes, another fin will be one detail."

"What to look for: "Modelsvit" will release a new model of the Mirage 3, taking into account the complaints and flaws.  However, they plan that the new model will not be riveted"

Hooray! Thank you Modelsvit - you're great! 😍 

Jay (a very grateful modeller)

On 7/12/2019 at 8:33 PM, Silverkite said:

what was wing's problem?

Luigi

As written on karopka:

"Technological connections of parts of the model are not made at the seams or edges of these elements.  What is actually a mistake."

But this is their personal opinion.  I agree that this technological solution is unsuccessful for 80-90% of modellers, but in the end, as one sarcastic black humor saying says: "If you do not like cats ... it means you just do not know how to cook* them!"😁

B.R.

Serge

*-  Aardvark loves cats!  Aardvark does not eat and does not cook cats!

In other words they made the same decision as AZ Model did with the wings for their 1/72 MiG-17s and Hasegawa with the fuselages with their 1/48 P-40 family in not breaking down the parts along either panel lines or control surfaces. Although with the Hase P-40's it was unavoidable.

Looking at the image in the Karopka thread that's just plain awkward and as seen further down the page a NMF finish highlights it even further if you don't get the seams hidden well enough.

Mike.

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

In other words they made the same decision as AZ Model did with the wings for their 1/72 MiG-17s and Hasegawa with the fuselages with their 1/48 P-40 family in not breaking down the parts along either panel lines or control surfaces. Although with the Hase P-40's it was unavoidable.

Looking at the image in the Karopka thread that's just plain awkward and as seen further down the page a NMF finish highlights it even further if you don't get the seams hidden well enough.

Mike.

This technological connections of parts work when you dry pre-building detail before glue.....but 80-90% modeller's  do not pay such preprocessing due attention. 

Why did Modelsvit make connections like this?  In order to shed thin rear edges, but they probably cannot make it along the aileron connection lines because they are afraid of sink marks?

Further, this technology solution began to be used by other firms, for example,  Mars Models on La-15.

But I don't understand, which prevented just maked separate flap, as minimum on I-320 from Modelsvit & La-15 from Mars Models.....

I work on some Mirage from Modelsvit...Indeed, there are certain difficulties with such molds  technology connection details.

B.R.

Serge

Ultimately it depends on how much work a person wants to put in - this is where we can get into the "assembler vs modellers" argument. For someone used to building limited run kits that wing join shouldn't pose any real difficulty but for someone who isn't it could be a deal breaker. My own opinion is that manufacturers should "idiot-proof" the parts breakdown and assembly sequence as much as possible because you will always have people whose enthusiasm outweighs their abilities, either through inexperience or temperament.

Mike.:hmmm:

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Hi guys

I am currently building this kit, overall it is pretty good but I have noticed one possible error in the wing shape that maybe somebody here with accurate drawings can help confirm. 

I'm using drawings myself that match perfectly to the Heller 1/48 IIIC/B (and mostly to the Kinetic IIIE which has its own wing errors) which is as I understand by those 'in the know' considered the most accurate profile of a Mirage III in model form. 

Anyways after scaling down the drawings to 1/72 and the wingspan of the Modelsvit kit, the Modelsvit wing seems to be not swept enough. In that the the forward wing root hits the fuselage too far rear from the intake front, making the intake area froward of the wing root look stretched. Even not using drawings and comparing it to the Heller kit and photos by eye it does seem a little off in this area.

I'm not here to slate the kit but more offer improvement to the future re-tool of the IIIE and further IIIB models, if there is in fact an error I'd rather let Modelsvit know now than after the release as the rest of the kit has some very good points. 

David

Edited by mirageiv

21 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

I'm using drawings myself that match perfectly to the Heller 1/48 IIIC/B (and mostly to the Kinetic IIIE which has its own wing errors) which is as I understand by those 'in the know' considered the most accurate profile of a Mirage III in model form. 

Anyways after scaling down the drawings to 1/72 and the wingspan of the Modelsvit kit, the Modelsvit wing seems to be not swept enough. In that the the forward wing root hits the fuselage too far rear from the intake front, making the intake area froward of the wing root look stretched. Even not using drawings and comparing it to the Heller kit and photos by eye it does seem a little off in this area.

We can see photo comparison  model Mirage III from Modelsvit and drawings

which are You used?

B.R.

Serge

2 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

We can see photo comparison  model Mirage III from Modelsvit and drawings

which are You used?

B.R.

Serge

Hi Serge

I have used drawings taken from this thread on LSP: https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/73589-mirage-iiis-swiss-air-force/page/5/

They are copyright so I will not post them direct. I not one who usually trusts drawings 100% but like to compare to photos and other kits mainly. That is why I mention the Heller 1/48 kit matches these drawings, the Kinetic 1/48 IIIS has the same wing sweep also (though smaller wing span) but the Modelsvit kit does not match up the same. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have ordered my Modelsvit Mirage IIIE 1/72 and I am looking forward to it.
I would like to leave my opinion on this whole issue that I have been reading about the rivets and / or the shape of the nose.

A real plane, at 1/72, 1/48 and even I think that at 1/32 looked at the real distance and proportional to that we look at the finished models when we have them in person would not be able to see the panel lines or the rivets And if they could see they would be extremely little thick.
The shape of the nose may or may not be 0.1 or 0.2 or 0.3 mm flatter.

We are talking about extremely small proportions.

The point is that this hobby is to spend free time in a pleasant way, as someone has said.

All this dilemma of whether or not to wear rivets or if this curve is 20º or 22º is somewhat insignificant. It is of no use all this when a kit is built rudely and also painted rudely.

Each one, regardless of it, we have a visual taste and we will like more a model with one aspect or another but as long as it continues to look like a toy, instead of something more than that, it will not matter if the rivets are seen or not or if the curve this part is 20º when it should be 22º.

Regards.

Andrés.

Edited by Andrés S.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Homebee said:

More on Mirage EA/EBR kit - ref. ? -

Source:  https://www.facebook.com/modelsvit/posts/2503983593204010

78095364-2503979759871060-28521375218427

It seems to me that Modelsvit has made a proper Mirage III nose (conical radome) this time. Good !

EBR but not a modernized EBR apparently: no canards.

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 1