1/72 - Dassault Mirage IIIE/EA/EBR & O by Modelsvit - MIIIE/EA/EBR/O released

Homebee

I still prefer to wait for the appearance of this model in my hands in order to judge its rivet!

;) B)

Arranged here in the topic, "international internet riveting inquisition"!

:):)

B.R.

Serge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9 November 2018 at 9:05 PM, Trenton guy said:

Is it me, or is the nose/radomes a little slim and lacking the kink (rather than a continuous curve) so apparent in photos of the real thing.

Hmmmm. You appear to be correct, TG. Let's see how they come out of the mound when released. To me, though, the front end looks too raked to me. 

Martin

On 11/9/2018 at 10:05 PM, Trenton guy said:

Is it me, or is the nose/radomes a little slim and lacking the kink (rather than a continuous curve) so apparent in photos of the real thing.

Just like the HPM and RV kits. The incoming SH kit does have the "conical radome + bullet base" nose.

42200184_1943337702427751_21391361256571

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 1

Thanks for the confirmation, Ridge Runner and Laurent. Not an original observation on my part. It was pointed out to me by you, Laurent, just a few months ago in the context of the improved ( surface detail ) HP kit. Special Hobby has been known to make corrections in response to comment here. Let’s hope this is one of those times. It’s surprising that no aftermarket supplier has jumped in to address this Mirage nose issue. Seems a perfect fit for Quickboost.

• 2 weeks later...

Typical, wait all your life for a decent (will judge when I have the kit in hand) 1:72 scale Mirage to come along and suddenly there is a flood of them ! At the moment I like the HPM kit, I have corrected the nose and cast some off so I am quite happy, its just the cost of them that holds me back from purchasing them by the dozen.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, drake122 said:

So what is the verdict on this one accuracy wise? Not too many reviews available either.

I'm not sure as I'm reluctant to buy it because of the nose shape that I see here...

13.JPG

It doesn't look like a "Cyrano nose" to me. The diameter at the base of the radome may be too small and that could explain the lack of the characteristic "cone-to-ogive" curvature.

Espagne-Mirage-IIIEE_Wikim%C3%A9diaCommo

It's easy to fix (plastic card strip and putty) but if the nose is covered with rivets, those won't survive :(

Edited by Laurent

1 hour ago, Laurent said:

It doesn't look like a "Cyrano nose" to me. 

Man, you're picky. I genuinely don't see what you're concerned about. 50 years of Airfix, Frog and Matchbox (and the hen's-teeth Revell), followed by an impossible to find High Planes, an expensive PJ, or a legendary AMT that you can't buy, and you're worried about some subtlety of the nose cone/fuselage transition which is _literally_ invisible? Looking at your "real-life" picture above, if I squint at the underside, it's the fuselage that's the cone and the radome that's the ogive; staring at the upper side, it's the radome that's the cone... It's really not a deal-breaker for me, nor, I would hope, most other people...

mirage-overlay.jpg

best,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 3

The difference is there. Pretty noticible if you examine some photos of the nose areaand then the kit. Was a deal breaker for me, as I have quite a collection of HPM/PJ kits which share the problem but are otherwise very nice. Don’t need another one with the same mistake.

8 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Man, you're picky. I genuinely don't see what you're concerned about. 50 years of Airfix, Frog and Matchbox (and the hen's-teeth Revell), followed by an impossible to find High Planes, an expensive PJ, or a legendary AMT that you can't buy, and you're worried about some subtlety of the nose cone/fuselage transition which is _literally_ invisible? Looking at your "real-life" picture above, if I squint at the underside, it's the fuselage that's the cone and the radome that's the ogive; staring at the upper side, it's the radome that's the cone... It's really not a deal-breaker for me, nor, I would hope, most other people...

best,

M.

Think the same, word for word.

Also, can't understand all that fuss about the rivets.

I spent an hour yesterday looking at the sprues, and I can't remember seeing rivet lines so subtle on any kit before.

Cockpit and wheel bays detail level is just unbelievable at this scale. And you get an AN52 nuclear bomb, that type being not so common on the market.

I would have liked more weapons options, but to be honest, there's already two pairs of missiles, three pairs of RP, the Barax/Phimat duo, and the AN52.

This is where the SH kit is certain to have the edge.

Whatever, I've already two boxes, and I'll get probably two more!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Man, you're picky.

Just as many other BM members. Read "enthusiastic" comments about TrumpyBoss kits of 1/48 British aircrafts (Defiant, Firefly, etc) in corresponding Rumourmonger topics and reviews.

Look at post #56... the nose in the Special Hobby CAD looks better, the kit will be less sophisticated and more easily correctable (if there's something worth correcting) as it won't be covered with rivets.

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Antoine said:

I can't see anything wrong with the nose.

And I'm afraid the rivets might disappear under the first coat of paint, subtle as they are.

45660999_2232716906997348_17513201466993

73-4.jpg

Edited by Laurent

Interesting #MirageModelsvitnoseholywar!

In my opinion, me need to urgently call popcorn dealer and order a large batch!

😁😁

But maybe, anybody can accurately draw a pencil around the model's nose and combine this sketch with a photo real Mirage or a drawing?

😉

I can only do this not earlier than March 2019, if all goes well and I receive my Mirage.

B.R.

Serge

• Haha 1

I agree with Laurent, given the two pictures in post #70 are from approximately the same angle, and the same size, two things are evident:

1.  The kit nose appears to be longer and more slender than the real thing as well as lacking the ogival shape Laurent is trying to display.

2.  The kit is representing a jet in a pristine finish and yet the rivets can be seen.  On the picture of an in-service jet which is dirtier, no rivets can be seen, in theory the dirt should accentuate any depressed rivets on the in-service jet but they don't, why?  Because they are flush rivets!  Most rigger worth their salt shoot rivets to be flush or within 5 thousandths of an inch (0.127 mm) - that equates to 0.00177 mm in 1/72nd to 3 significant figures!  Scale the kits holes up to full size they would probably be as deep as the thickness of the skin used on the real thing.

This shouldn't show on a camouflaged jet in 1/72nd scale.  The only reason the rivets can be seen on a NMF jet is because of the material difference between the rivets and the skin.

Whilst I could live with the errors with the nose to some extent, I'm not prepared to put up with a skin covered in divots, I'm fed up with this Emperor's New Clothes fad where the skin looks like its been pulled from the frames beneath it being foisted upon me.  I'll save my money for the SH kit, it won't be covered in divots and it will be half the price of this kit.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Laurent said:

I was illustrating both the fact that the rivets are visible and...

modelsvitVsReal.jpg

The angle on photo on the horizontal axis

has differences.

Yes, according to these photos it can be argued that there is some kind of discrepancy, but for a more substantive discussion either the same angle is necessary, or:

3 hours ago, Aardvark said:

maybe, anybody can accurately draw a pencil around the model's nose and combine this sketch with a photo real Mirage or a drawing?

B.w. probably 

some answer may be given by comparing the dimensions of the fuselage sections model & real plane (or factory drawings) at the point of fracture and in the area of the beginning canopy.

B.R.

Serge