UN Space Cruiser and Space Assault Destroyer

Hi all,

I finished dusting and photographing my Cosmo Fleet ships, they're still pretty dusty and even after removing some more digitally I think I'm going to have to draw a line under. I also managed to knock off one of the torpedoes from the destroyer and spent a while getting it attached again and fixing the chipped paint.

I think I need to clean my office from top to bottom and remove the dust from the environment before doing any more painting!

Anyway... These are half of a Bandai 1/1000 scale kit of the UN Cosmo Navy from Space Battleship Yamato. I have another of each to finish building and painting at some point in the future. Fairly easy to build but difficult to build cleanly owing to the dense snap fit construction.

24771493245_be9fec176c_b.jpg

24403842879_d174fa3296_b.jpg

I found a new way to do the cutting out in Photoshop (Quick Select tool is awesome!) so they're all on white backgrounds again :)

24653679802_02ccf7128e_b.jpg

24771499995_85a53ce5b9_b.jpg

(click for bigger pictures & more angles)

This is what the stands look like - modified kit stands using brass tube for the pin instead of the provided plastic fin:

24745268796_5b1cec3e5f_b.jpg

And this is for scale - the little one has 42 parts in a really tiny space:

24771488345_c56140e80f_b.jpg

I have a baddie ship in pieces at the moment, I'm hoping to finish the Guntank I'm working on and do some preparation on that before too long. Oh yes, I almost forgot. I did a Photoshopped picture of the two ships in their natural environment:

24631736262_d387c75429_b.jpg

Which I am rather pleased with to be honest. Time consuming but fun, I will try and do more of these when I have spacey things to show.

Cheers and thanks for looking, especially to those who helped with suggestions and such on the WIP thread.

Will

• Like 13

Wow, that picture with the match really gives an idea of just how small they are. I would have bet anything that they were much bigger! Great work.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments, glad you like them. The cruiser isn't quite as teeny, that's about six inches long and generally chunkier than the destroyers. But those are very small!

So, what's next? The triple decker?

I think that's a bit of a longer-term project, I'm still looking for relatively quick wins this early in the year! But the Core Ship is a good candidate after I get the Guntank weathered and put together.

Fantastic presentation too

Thanks, I wasn't sure what to do and ended up with these vaguely '70s flash cards. I looked up Ladybird books afterwards, since it felt like they'd been some kind of subconscious influence (primary coloured images, white paper, simple text) but their type was rather curvier.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all!

iv seen these available but never was quite shaw of the size. think i may give them a try now

They must have one of the highest box-to-model ratios of anything I've built!

I have a couple of Japanese books on the Yamato models now, which suggest a different way to build them. Basically cut off almost all the snap fit/locating hardware and glue the parts to make upper and lower hull halves. Then join these at the waist like a normal model. I think they looked better done that way than mine do, although they didn't fill the strakes which were still a bit clunky.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These look great, I cant believe they are that small and you got such a great finish on them, or is that a scratch built match box which is two foot across!!

The photography is excellent.

Great build you should be well proud of these!

• Like 1

Thanks, I like building small stuff but you do have to be incredibly anal about the finish as all the tiny fluff etc. becomes ginormous.

Photographs are courtesy of my Sony 30mm E Mount macro which is an amazing lens for the money. Highly recommended!

Will

• 2 weeks later...