A significant rise in CAA display charges

markjames68

This could be problematic for some of the smaller shows

http://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/Consultations/Open/Statutory-air-display-and-low-flying-permission-charges/

I would imagine that this will be paid for by a hike in ticket prices ultimately, might get away with it this year but reckon gate prices will rise next year for the shows that decide to pay the increased cost....

"partial mitigation of existing under-recovery of costs. "

So we've undercharged in the past and now you have to pay for it.....

The increase, especially the post-event charge, is likely to kill many smaller events

Edited by Dave Fleming

Well... it is a consultation document, to which anyone can respond before 29th Feb, so it isn't set in stone yet. And I guess the idea of the 'post event charge" is that you don't have to pay it until after you have all the gate receipts in. It'd be interesting to know what the actual cost increases are (I know it's not happening at present, but if I think "would an extra £1/ticket to go to Waddington have stopped me?" the answer is "No" -- and that would have been an extra £130K or so for the display organisers)

...though if you're a smallish show, it's clearly a good idea to make sure you have 18 flying display participants, not 19...

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

Got to pay for the tea and biscuits with all the extra work they are having to do post Shoreham. Realistically, because, airshow wise, things have been quiet for many a year regarding major problems, I suspect some of this is a 'catch up' fee. In today's world, they may have been undercharging.

The CAA banned planes flying over the crowd at displays so what happened? A plane avoiding the crowd crashed into a load of people who hadn't paid to go in so weren’t in the crowd being avoided!

Some irony there.

Now they will increase low flying permission by £250k, to be paid by those who go in. This of course will mean higher prices so more people will stand outside with jets flying over their heads. Talk about a self fulfilling prophesy.

The CAA wont rest until there is no pleasure or fun left in flying in the UK, but will it ever be 100% safe?

If you want a decent airshow, go to the States.

Colin

• Like 7

Yet another example of the 'dictatorship' that now runs the UK…namely the HSE….I'm a great advocate of H&S in the workplace and life in general but its taken over our lives and common sense has been thrown out of the window. I fully appreciate that some people need to be protected from themselves but that has always been the case. Love the comment made by Colin W above….so very true. Let's be clear, NONE of this takes anything away from, or devalues, the tragedy that was Shoreham last year but accidents happen every day of the year; are we all to be wrapped up in cotton wool and never allowed to leave our houses again ?.

• Like 6

Yet another example of the 'dictatorship' that now runs the UK…namely the HSE….I'm a great advocate of H&S in the workplace and life in general but its taken over our lives and common sense has been thrown out of the window.

The words "health" and "executive" don't appear anywhere in that document and "safety" once. The HSE does a lot of sterling work on safety in the workplace, as you point out, and has had nothing to do with this. Do they really deserve to be slandered like that?

• Like 2

The words "health" and "executive" don't appear anywhere in that document and "safety" once. The HSE does a lot of sterling work on safety in the workplace, as you point out, and has had nothing to do with this. Do they really deserve to be slandered like that?

Apologies….I may not have made myself clear. I did read the report and wholeheartedly agree with your assertion regarding the content and your sentiments towards the HSE. The organization does do a lot of excellent work. My comment was more of a general statement about the fact that the UK is paralyzing itself with risk aversion in so many areas and engendering a 'nanny' state environment which starts, quite literally the moment I set foot back in the ol' country, where I am always 'greeted' at any number of UK Airports by an anonymous voice instructing me to take care on the moving escalator etc etc.

I have lived and worked in Europe for 10 years now and travelled widely throughout the Continent and beyond and nowhere else do I find such an overwhelming amount of H&S advice being doled out, to the point where it stifles out one's ability to apply basic common sense and safety awareness of their own accord.

We're going a little bit off topic now so I'm going to take myself out of any further comment on this particular hobby horse of mine, for fear of offending anyone else.

• Like 5

This kind of knee-jerk "the end of the world is nigh" is not impressing me. Let's wait and see just what is likely to happen before blowing our tops and leaping off into the deep end, plus any more metaphors for excessive reactions that you may care to think of.

Not to mention blindly blaming whatever irrelevant bee-in-the bonnet the Daily Wail is currently spouting about.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

I've just put this on the thread about the safety report but think it belongs here;

'Not sure if this is directly related to the conversation above but I've just received an email about the 'American Airshow' at Duxford in May and it appears that there is now a Parking Fee of £5.......

Could this be a way of getting more revenue?

Hutch

More bad news..first we learn there will be no more shows at waddington and now this..lt seems like there is very little to get excited about these days when it comes to air shows. Even RIAT seems to be the same thing every year now

• Like 2

'Not sure if this is directly related to the conversation above but I've just received an email about the 'American Airshow' at Duxford in May and it appears that there is now a Parking Fee of £5.......

We've gone the same route a few years ago for an airshow our gliding club holds in Switzerland. The motive was mainly to encourage car pooling, as traffic jams at the end of the show (we are out in the boondocks, roadwise) are always a major issue.

We don't mind the revenue, obviously, but it was not the main motive.

Edited by Hotel Papa

Not to mention blindly blaming whatever irrelevant bee-in-the bonnet the Daily Wail is currently spouting about.

The Daily Wail should carry a health warning. SleeperDad was put on heart and blood pressure medication but wasn't responding. Doctor told him to stop reading the Wail and amazingly down came his blood pressure. Just need to stop him shouting at the telly now!

Living in Yorkshire means duxford is just too far away... To be honest I've found the air show scene has gradually become less and less interesting over the last eight years or so to the point where it's just not worth the expense after all if you've seen one grey tornado you've seen em all. These days I find myself visiting museums.

• Like 3

Living in Yorkshire means duxford is just too far away... To be honest I've found the air show scene has gradually become less and less interesting over the last eight years or so to the point where it's just not worth the expense after all if you've seen one grey tornado you've seen em all. These days I find myself visiting museums.

Depends where in Yorkshire I suppose...from Barnsley it's only 2hr 20 min away.

• Like 1