Messerschmitt Bf 110G-4 - ProModeler 1/48

Hi all

Included are a few images of a 110 nightfighter I have wanted to build for over 30 years. However, I could never locate any definitive info regarding the uppersurface camo. But,recently I stumbled upon a few photos of the nose and cockpit area of this machine, which provided more info. So, with that new information, I was finally able to fulfill one of my modelling objectives.

The model represents a Messerschmitt Bf 110G-4/R3, flown by Major Wilhelm Herget of Stab 1/Nachtjagdgeschwader 4 while stationed at Deelem-Arnhem, Holland in the Spring of 1944.

In keeping with my usual modelling philosophy, I performed the following minor enhancements to the kit:

Fuselage

- all gun barrels and shell ejection ports drilled out

- MG 81Z replaced with Aries resin gun

- Eduard photo-etched seatbelts added

- FuG25a IFF antenna made from piano wire

- FuB12F blind landing antenna made from piano wire

- antenna wire made from stretched sprue

Wings and Landing Gear

- landing gear modified to sit at proper angle

- exhaust pipes drilled out

- pitot tube relocated from wing tip

- FuG16ZY Morane antenna made from surgical wire

- FuG101 altimeter antenna replaced with wire

- FuG227 Flensburg antennae added

Paint and Decals

- airframe painted with Xtracolor X206 Graugrun RLM 74, X207 Grauviolett RLM 75 and X208 Lichtblau RLM 76

- sharkmouth is painted on

- model is weathered with chalk pastels

- markings are from Cutting Edge 48045

References

- Famous Airplanes of the World No. 41, Messerschmitt Bf110, Bunrin-Do

- Aero Detail No. 21, Messerschmitt Bf110

- Walk Around No. 22, Bf-110G, Squadron Signal Publications

- The Defense of the Reich, Hitler’s Nightfighter Planes and Pilots, by Werner Held

- Monogram Close-up No. 18 Bf-110G, Monogram Technical Publications

Cheers

Randy

IMG_0095_zpsxostdtrd.jpg

IMG_0096_zpsp4yeirfl.jpg

IMG_0094_zps2zmgxjdb.jpg

IMG_0090_zpsrslvk1if.jpg

IMG_0089_zpspjaoq9kn.jpg

IMG_0092_zpslievh3mu.jpg

IMG_0100_zpsn2s2dvxw.jpg

• Like 32

That's a very good looking 110 Randy, congratulations on a splendid job. The Monogram ProModeller kit still makes up into the best 110G4 in my opinion though the incredibly scarce Cutting Edge nacelle, spinners and props do make a difference as does the Aires cockpit set (which has to be shoe-horned into place). :)

Max

That is some fine work on display there - a big thumbs up for that beauty. Unusual to see one without the hakenkreuz on the tail and with no codes on the fuselage.

This is superbly modelled, but no codes? I ask as this is one aircraft I would also like to attempt, albeit in 1/72, I have marking's for Herget's earlier C-3 & would like also to do this later one.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. The model does in fact have codes, but they are over-painted. If you have the old Profile Publication on the 110G, or if you search for images on the web, you can find the shot of this aircraft with the engines running and a cloud of dust around the plane. For years it was thought that the dust was obscuring the codes, but multiple shots taken at the same time prove otherwise.

Cheers

Randy

• Like 1

That's a very good looking 110 Randy, congratulations on a splendid job. The Monogram ProModeller kit still makes up into the best 110G4 in my opinion though the incredibly scarce Cutting Edge nacelle, spinners and props do make a difference as does the Aires cockpit set (which has to be shoe-horned into place). :)

Max

I agree that ProModeler 110 is a good kit and I prefer it over the Eduard releases. I know the engine cowls are a little off, but then so am I. :) I have built three of these kits and really enjoy the process.

Cheers

Randy

That is some fine work on display there - a big thumbs up for that beauty. Unusual to see one without the hakenkreuz on the tail and with no codes on the fuselage.

Thanks much. The codes and crooked cross are on the model, but are over-painted in RLM 76. Look closely and you will see hints of the markings.

Cheers

Randy

Thanks for your info Randy, now I know I'm looking at a model of 3C+LB, a bit slow on the uptake sorry. :( I've an Eduard, kit for this, a set of Italeri Shark mouth decals, maybe not completely right for this machine but better than I can paint them & I'm sure I can track down/print off the code markings. A green L as per profiles? Now I've seen your build it helps to bring it all into place.

Steve.

Thanks much. The codes and crooked cross are on the model, but are over-painted in RLM 76. Look closely and you will see hints of the markings.

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Randy, work so subtle my weary eyes couldn't see it without squinting - time for me to take a trip to Specsavers!

Thanks for your info Randy, now I know I'm looking at a model of 3C+LB, a bit slow on the uptake sorry. :( I've an Eduard, kit for this, a set of Italeri Shark mouth decals, maybe not completely right for this machine but better than I can paint them & I'm sure I can track down/print off the code markings. A green L as per profiles? Now I've seen your build it helps to bring it all into place.

Steve.

HI Steve

It is actually a green L, with a white border. Give me your mailing address and I will send you a set of masks I had made for the sharkmouth.

Cheers

Randy