1/72 Hobby Boss Sea Hawk FGA 6, Indian Navy 300sqn

Hello everyone!

I'd like to share with you the predecessor to my last submission here, the Italeri 1/72 Sea Harrier FRS 1. It was completed around 4 months ago.

The Hawker Sea Hawk played a pivotal role in the 1971 war between India and Pakistan. Deployed aboard the INS Vikrant (formerly the HMS Hercules), they flew successful sorties destroying or disabling vital installations in what is today Bangladesh, with no loss of aircraft. In honor of the role played by the Indian Navy and to a large extent, the Sea Hawk, December 4th is celebrated as Navy Day here in India.

The Sea Hawk is part of my Indian Navy build theme, starting from the Vampire T55, the Kamov-28, the Sea Hawk and finally the Sea Harrier which replaced the Sea Hawk in the Indian Navy. These aircraft flew out of, or were based at Dabolim Goa, very close to where I spent my childhood. She, along with many others like her are now housed at the Naval Aviation Museum in Goa.

The Sea Hawk bearing registration 076 piloted by Lieutenant RH Tahiliani was the first Sea Hawk of the Indian navy to land on the INS Vikrant. So it made for a unique choice of subject matter for this iconic aircraft.

The kit itself was a joy to build. Along with the Eduard photoetch set to add in some extra detail, some custom riveting (which I took oodles of creative licence to place), and some hydraulic lines in the wheel bays (A big thank you to Vulcanicity here on britmodeller), the end result is a very sharp and detailed model for it's size.

Boo-boos include the color- mixed it up from primary colors, and it ended up being too blue, and not grinding down the MLG bay doors before installing the PE panels which resulted in the doors touching the external tanks, and thus the wheels bend excessively inwards. The masking of the canopy also messed up unexpectedly. The Leaping Tiger was placed further aft on the original 076, and later painted forward on other aircraft. Lesson learnt.

Anyways, on to the pictures!

yhB621w.jpg

vI13KBT.jpg

yhw7TOB.jpg

taNkRqo.jpg

21T1CF7.jpg

ehMu5Qh.jpg

mK5Xk5T.jpg

uDhnnhz.jpg

JUsJkCB.jpg

Gx3ef0e.jpg

OKWL4Sv.jpg

uQfiHau.jpg

Two generations of fleet defense posing together:

LQzlqPw.jpg

aJU7Ksx.jpg

Thanks for watching!!

Cheers,

Alex.

Edited by alxzinbox
  • Like 43

Lovely work Alex and like your little mod on the arrestor hook, makes all the difference - well done!!

A nice little collection of aircraft you have there too, they look good together!! :coolio: :coolio: :thumbsup:

Kev :)

Edited by Mr Modeller
  • Like 1

Wow, excellent work and interesting backstory too. I had no idea the Indian Navy Day refers to the 1971 War.

The model looks mighty good; particularly the realistic weathering. The arrestor hook too. Lovely to see the Sea Hawk and Sea Harrier side by side. Couldn't really tell if the top colour of the Sea Hawk is too blue as you mentioned - colours differ from airframe to airframe and over time after all - looks good to me!

Jay

PS are there any more pics of your IN Vampire to be found somewhere?

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone for your kind encouragement!

PS are there any more pics of your IN Vampire to be found somewhere?

Thanks Jay! The Vampire unfortunately got bumbled up during experimental NMF paint after more than a month of careful building. I never ended up doing a photoshoot, and it was finally staked thru the heart by my little boy a few months ago. Maybe it'll resurrect again sometime in the future, but not right now.

Excellent work, that's come out exceptionally well.

Will you do an ex Marineflieger 101 Seahawk to go with it ?

Some pics of the T55 and Ka-28 would be nice.

Stu

Thanks Stu, IIRC, the IN has the 101 in a jetblack scheme. I need to burn thru a little of my stash before I go out and get the Mk.101 though :D I'll be posting the Ka-28 album in a few days.

Cheers!

Alex!

• 3 months later...

very nice model of a not often seen subject. Like it a lot in this paint scheme - the blue looks just right.

Nice to see some different subjects - like Indian Navy aircrafts.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

Superb work. The paint and weathering is particularly well done - subtle and therefore very effective. That arrestor hook looks like the real thing. A very nice collection for your theme as well. Andrew

• Like 1

My humble input, planning to do a better photoshoot one of these days, here is a quick shot. The build was made last week, some decals and number pending, Managed to make just in time for May 11 2015, the day Harrier retire from Indian Navy, Cheers.

harrier_m_1.jpg
  • Like 1