Kitty Hawk Su-34 1/48 - render - March

Tali

Hi,

Fullback received.

The box is filled to the brim with plastic (and a bit of resin).

I'm not much of a fan of the fuselage design:

fullback001.JPG

I prefer GWH's approach, with wings blending into the fuselage. KH's way is a problem magnet...

There's a bit of flash (tiny little bit) on the fuselage:

fullback002.JPG

The 2 sets of resin nozzles are much nicer than what KH did for their Su 35 (from what I remember of the Flank Offvideo series):

fullback003.JPG

The canopy (and all the tiny transparent bits):

fullback004.JPG

The decal sheets (the biggest one is for the armament):

fullback005.JPG

I hope there is a very special circle of hell for those who design these decals where the screens are lit and full of details you should only see when the plane is flying at 30,000 ft.

There's one photoetch sheet for detailing:

fullback006.JPG

And four sprues of various bits to complete the plane:

fullback007.JPG

fullback008.JPG

fullback009.JPG

fullback010.JPG

I'll spare you the six (yes, six) sprues full of weapons...

This looks like a very nice kit (detailing is crisp, fuselage halves seem to mate without trouble, lots of stuff to play with).

But most KH's kits are like this. Nice in the box, and entertaining on the building table.

Time will tell...

Is it a good model? TBH, I don't know, I hope Flankerman will have an answer to that one.

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

Nice review thank you.

Mine arrived Saturday and I am very happy with what's in the box. It knocks the HB one into touch in terms of finesse and certainly value for money so I rather suspect we will soon be seeing a raft of HB ones on sale on a certain internet auction site at a price they (should) have been when it was released.

The KH kit is a quite incredible package for £52.00 delivered (in just over a week) from China. Is it 'perfect'? well, I leave that to the experts to decide and argue over but for the vast majority of us, I suspect we will be rewarded with an imposing model of an SU-34 at the end of the build.

Gary

• Thanks 1

Seeing the canopy bits, I´m wondering,is it possible to build the kit with canopy open? If the question is stupid I apologyze, but I really don´t know how the pilots board the plane!

Edited by dreamwriter

8 minutes ago, dreamwriter said:

Seeing the canopy bits, I´m wondering,is it possible to build the kit with canopy open? If the question is stupid I apologyze, but I really don´t know how the pilots board the plane!

000-Su-32FN-Cockpit-1S.jpg

• Like 1

Two things:

- I'm very sorry for the gentleman's sausage appearing just beneath the flash in the second picture, but that is KH's fault.

- What Mr Paint reference should I use for the belly of an eggplant painted Fullback?

Cheers,

S.

• Haha 5

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 14:38, DIO said:

25621.jpg

Same problem, although slightly less, on the other side...

Looks like a slide mold misalignement. Pretty common.

8 hours ago, Laurent said:

Looks like a slide mold misalignement. Pretty common.

Misalignment would mean that at the other side the step is opposite with the back fuselage part protruding:

25645_md.png

Unfortunately it is the same, meaning that the back part is narrower that the nose part.

This is such a let down, considering that it is at such an obvious position.

If my second one is ok, I will ask them to replace the part. But I doubt this 😞

Edited by DIO

The tooling of the top fuselage part probably looks like...

khSu34topFusTooling.jpg

I think the problem is that the inner faces of C and D aren't precisely aligned with the inner face of B when the part is injected. It introduces steps on the left and right front fuselage part. The height of the left step and right step aren't correlated.

Dedicated intake covers by Kokopelli Scale Designs

Sources:

https://www.kokopelliscaledesigns.com/blank-1/su-34-intake-cover-for-kittyhawk-kit

https://www.facebook.com/KokopelliScaleDesign/posts/375310036294899 

Success - Intake covers for the Kittyhawk SU-34 available tomorrow on the site www.kokopelliscaledesigns.com.
If you have seen my SU-35 intakes, these are actually nicer as the SU-34 has a slightly more complicated intake geometry that really makes these intakes pop. I included the flat bar grab handles, and the tension handle on the printed part. No assembly required. Just some cleanup and they are ready to go into your Kittyhawk SU-34. A quick and simple enhancement for this already detailed kit. You have to see the detail to believe it's even possible to make it this fine at this scale!

35645584.png

35552196.jpg

V.P.

• 3 weeks later...

got my kit today from lucky!

I AM MIGHTY IMPRESSED!

:thumbsup:

the above mentioned step is present on mine as well, but imo not a real challenge or problem ;)

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 5:38 PM, dreamwriter said:

The question was indeed stupid" said he while flogging himself.

There are no stupid questions! Answers on the other hand....................

• Haha 1